• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Van den Broeck wants shared leadership with Evans

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Do you think this means the end to Evans Tour GC chances?
As a Belgium rider on a Belgium team, if they do decide to make Van den Broeck a joint leader, he will enjoy more backing from the team and sponsors..

Do you think this is a good time for Cadel to find another team, where he can be sole leader?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
:mad:I did make a thread about this a week ago but somebody just has to copy:mad:. Van den broeck will be leader but i am surprised that they will fully support a guy who has only top 15'd at the tour. If cadel was going to another team it would either be Garmin or AG2R.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I did make a thread about this a week ago but somebody just has to copy. Van den broeck will be leader but i am surprised that they will fully support a guy who has only top 15'd at the tour. If cadel was going to another team it wold either be Garmin or AG2R.

Relax man :D
Pretty much everything that everyone says gets repeated over and over again. Look at Chicken to Flaminia: I reported it weeks ago and nobody replied. Today suddenly everyone's on the topic. Relax, it's normal ;)

anubisza said:
As a Belgium rider on a Belgium team, if they do decide to make Van den Broeck a joint leader, he will enjoy more backing from the team and sponsors..

Do you think this is a good time for Cadel to find another team, where he can be sole leader?

There's already a topic for this. Use the search function and reply there :)

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
I hate to burst the bubble, but it is unlikely that Evans will be heading to Garmin. Matty Whites recent comments suggest that he does not see Eavans a a tour contender in the near future. Plus by all reports they are interested in Contador.

The end of Evan's GC hopes if he remains at Silence Lotto sharing leadership with VdB? Well VdB will obviously have the support of the sponsor, but a lot would depend on how VdB goes as a leader. He is an unknown quantity under the pressure of team leader.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Plenty of threads discussing the same or similar topics, but my two cents:

Cadel has the potential to win a GT, but he is getting older and the younger riders are making their mark. He and his DS should be realistic.

VDB rode a great TdF this year, but he benefitted from being so far back after the TTT and the likes of Astana and SaxoBank allowing him into breaks. This is where he made all of his time to eventually finish 15th. No doubt he is a good rider, but as a co-team leader he will not be allowed these luxuries again.

Yes, the Silence-Lotto management do have problems. While coaches are the first team members fired when teams are performing poorly in most sports, no such thing happens in cycling with DSs. I do not necessarily agree with this trend of firing coaches, but I am sure there are lots of ex-professionals who would be willing to manage a professional cycling team and do a better job than some current DSs, including Marc Sergeant.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Plenty of threads discussing the same or similar topics, but my two cents:

Cadel has the potential to win a GT, but he is getting older and the younger riders are making their mark. He and his DS should be realistic.

VDB rode a great TdF this year, but he benefitted from being so far back after the TTT and the likes of Astana and SaxoBank allowing him into breaks. This is where he made all of his time to eventually finish 15th. No doubt he is a good rider, but as a co-team leader he will not be allowed these luxuries again.

Yes, the Silence-Lotto management do have problems. While coaches are the first team members fired when teams are performing poorly in most sports, no such thing happens in cycling with DSs. I do not necessarily agree with this trend of firing coaches, but I am sure there are lots of ex-professionals who would be willing to manage a professional cycling team and do a better job than some current DSs, including Marc Sergeant.

+1........... I haven't looked at it, but I am sure if someone looked at the time it took VDB to ride some of the big climbs in this years tour it would be well off the pace of the GC contenders who started the climbs after he did.

This year aside, if you look at Cadel's performance in the 2007 and 2008 tours, he finished 2nd behind Contador and Sastre by 23s and 58s, respectively. VDB needs to prove that he can climb with the best and TT with the best before he is a serious GT contender.

My opinion.... Cadel should move if he can. I would love him to go to Garmin, but that might be a tough proposition. He might have to swallow some of his pride (and some of his salary) and move to a team as a co-team leader. It looks like he might have to do that anyway if he stays at Silence... ;)

Garmin and Cadel would be a bad fit. He'd be only a co-leader there possible that he wouldn't be able to ride for himself with 3 leaders at the tour.

Signing Contador is one thing because with AC, and to a lesser extent Andy Schleck, you know who the best rider on the team is, regardless. Not that way with Cadel.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it matters one way or the other for Cadel: his train seems to have passed. I don't think he will be a serious factor again in a GT.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
You guys really shouldn't call Jurgen "VDB". That'll always be Frank in many of our minds. Maybe Jurgen can be "VdB2" or "JVdB" or something.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
anubisza said:

Co-leaders shooting for 25th on the GC? That would probably work. :D

EASY folks, just kidding!!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
You guys really shouldn't call Jurgen "VDB". That'll always be Frank in many of our minds. Maybe Jurgen can be "VdB2" or "JVdB" or something.

AGREED 100%. The first time I saw a reference to VDB being in the Tour on one of these threads in June, I had to go back thru all the rosters until I realized who the referenced rider was.

53x11 in DC said:
Co-leaders shooting for 25th on the GC? That would probably work.
EASY folks, just kidding!!!

I dunno, I agree with you about the 25th on GC comment. I may be proven wrong, but I think Cadel is over the hump as far as his chances of winning a GT go, there are just too many younger faster riders. If Astana had been allowed in the 08 Tour it's better than even money he wouldn't have finished on the podium.

If Cadel is smart, he should pull a Julich and try like anything to get on Saxo Bank. Bjarne is the best there is at rejuvenating riders that have stumbled. He won't win a GT, but he'll get his chances in something like Paris-Nice, Criterium Intl, TdSuisse, etc.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
:mad:I did make a thread about this a week ago but somebody just has to copy:mad:. Van den broeck will be leader but i am surprised that they will fully support a guy who has only top 15'd at the tour. If cadel was going to another team it would either be Garmin or AG2R.

calm down fella there is already another thread on this :D

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BeachBum said:
I dunno, I agree with you about the 25th on GC comment. I may be proven wrong, but I think Cadel is over the hump as far as his chances of winning a GT go, there are just too many younger faster riders. If Astana had been allowed in the 08 Tour it's better than even money he wouldn't have finished on the podium.

If Cadel is smart, he should pull a Julich and try like anything to get on Saxo Bank. Bjarne is the best there is at rejuvenating riders that have stumbled. He won't win a GT, but he'll get his chances in something like Paris-Nice, Criterium Intl, TdSuisse, etc.

Yawn.... it's funny how people are convinced Cadel is past it at 32 yet were convinced Armstrong was going to win this year at 37. For the record, Armstrong was 33 when he won in 2005, and Riis was 32 when he won in 1996.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
Yawn.... it's funny how people are convinced Cadel is past it at 32 yet were convinced Armstrong was going to win this year at 37. For the record, Armstrong was 33 when he won in 2005, and Riis was 32 when he won in 1996.

Physically he's fine. It's the mental part I worry about.

Cobber said:

Relax Cobber, I said 'I may be wrong'.

Cadel's age didn't factor in to my assertion at all. He can't stick with multiple jumps on a finishing climb, his team loses too much time in the TTT, and his 'support' riders don't support him. For better or worse, Silence and Cadel have not been able to find the formula to break through.

Cadel's best chance at winning a GT was the Tour in '08 and he got tag-teamed by the 3 headed CSC monster. The 09 Tour had a tougher field and he was nowhere to be seen.

I put Cadel in the same class as Kloden, Levi and VdV (and I think Wiggo will go in this group as well), able to make a GT podium (not yet proven for the Garmin boys), but won't win a GT. They can TT, and they can climb at a steady state, but get dropped by repeated accelerations.

...and hey, if I'm wrong, and one of these guys I mentioned wins a GT, feel free to trot out this post.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So can anyone else think of a team lead at the TdF by a rider without a single professional victory? Silence Lotto is more like a comedy troupe than a cycling team.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
ihatescarves said:
So can anyone else think of a team lead at the TdF by a rider without a single professional victory? Silence Lotto is more like a comedy troupe than a cycling team.

Absolutely - Silence Lotto are amateurish in the extreme. The vision of them coming across the line in dribs and drabs in the TTT of the tour was a good example.

But it seems that van den broeck does actually have a couple of professional victories, according to the SL web site - in 2006 while riding for disco he won the "Dernycriterium Schriek" and as recently as last thursday won the "Criterium Herentals".

Looks like a sound basis for joint leadership with the "waning" evans, former pink and yellow jersey wearer, tour stage winner, multiple tdf runner up, tour de suisse winner, pro-tour winner blah blah blah.

Good luck to him, but he might have to start training harder.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
anubisza said:

Cadel should have gone looking for a REAL team, who will treat a GC hopeful with respect and unwavering support years ago!!!!

Good luck leading a sinking team Broecky !!!

Cadel my friend, go now, move on, there's nothing left for you here in Belgium.

For what its worth, van den broeck came 7th in the giro last year. Given that retests for CERA are being done (how long?) and both Sella and Ricco tested positive shortly afterwards, he might be lifted up to 5th place. Not the same as winning but that was done at the age of 25.

This year he fell early on in the team time trial, wasnt waited for and so lost over 6 minutes. He then attacked quite a lot after that which meant he often finished high up but on perhaps the hardest stages - to Le Grand Bornand and Mont Ventoux, he was generally able to finish about 10th anyway. Maybe the attacking could have blunted his power a bit on the other stages? Seems like someone who would finish somewhere between 6th and 10th perhaps if he could stay upright and the team put more focus on him?

Silence-Lotto probably owe him one though, as he is the only rider who comes to mind as being up at the front a lot.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mont Ventoux said:
Cadel should have gone looking for a REAL team, who will treat a GC hopeful with respect and unwavering support years ago!!!!

Good luck leading a sinking team Broecky !!!

Cadel my friend, go now, move on, there's nothing left for you here in Belgium.

I hope that he does move so he at least has a chance to win the tour with an actual team supporting him. He should at least have 1 tour title to his name already.

TRENDING THREADS