• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vancansoleil in the Pro Tour or dead meat ?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
VAC-DCM will gear up to 30 riders now with the Pro Team status and 2 more sponsors are to be expected to come on board, so the jersey will be quit interesting!

This means if correct that they are on the look out for 5 more riders at least to be announced the coming weeks ...

Names Selvaggi and Pavarin to be rumoured ...

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
DAOTEC said:
VAC-DCM will gear up to 30 riders now with the Pro Team status and 2 more sponsors are to be expected to come on board, so the jersey will be quit interesting!

This means if correct that they are on the look out for 5 more riders at least to be announced the coming weeks ...

Names Selvaggi and Pavarin to be rumoured ...

Michele said:
Selvaggi was already at Vacansoleil before to join Astana and Pavarin is a close friend (also cause living nearby) of Marcato and Ongarato so it would make sense.

Mirko Selvaggi just confirmed (FB)

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
UCI World Tour debut

Vacansoleil - DCM for Tour Down Under

Romain Feillu,
Mirko Selvaggi,
Sergey Lagutin,
Joost van Leijen,
dance.gif

Thomas de Gendt,

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Hell yeah!

Great news to come home to.

There are now some races that I am dead keen to see 'em in. Races that can no longer let big money do all the talking are now forced to take them on genuine merit.

I am all for organisers being able to pick the teams that suit them best, but if there is one argument for taking that power away from organisers than it was the way organisers themselves were ignoring them for wild cards in 2010. Something about the totality of that season's invites was disgraceful, all the more if you look at what some of the teams that did get the invites actually brought to the race.

Compare that to a team that managed to gather an impressive amount of points in the various rankings despite only having a fraction of the opportunities to score those points.

I'm impressed they apparently asked Eze's point to be ignored too, although I'm sure they knew exactly that the spot they would end up in was still a qualifying one.

That's the PT sorted, hopefully at least 2 of the GTs will follow suit too.

One thing is for sure: it will be great to see Vacansoleil in various races.

Leukemans, Hoogerland, Marcato, Feillu, Westra, Poels, Carrara, Ricco, Bozic, Devolder, De Gendt (and Mosquera). Great riders.

I wonder what their main priority will be. They've got a good team for the cobbled classics and then obviously Ricco, but I think the squads lacks debth to be able to compete in many races. They do have Marcato, Carrara and Feillu who are all capable of doing something special throughout the whole season, but it's probably not a very focused team.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
One thing is for sure: it will be great to see Vacansoleil in various races.

Leukemans, Hoogerland, Marcato, Feillu, Westra, Poels, Carrara, Ricco, Bozic, Devolder, De Gendt (and Mosquera). Great riders.
I wonder what their main priority will be. They've got a good team for the cobbled classics and then obviously Ricco, but I think the squads lacks debth to be able to compete in many races. They do have Marcato, Carrara and Feillu who are all capable of doing something special throughout the whole season, but it's probably not a very focused team.

Great riders? Please...?!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Their names may not be as big as the riders of a certain other team, but they sure as hell make up for it with their racing attitude. And with their results.

Moondance said:
Maybe not great... But they sure are entertaining riders.

Dutch Mafia attack!:D Fair enough. I do think they are a decent all round team!

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I like having them guaranteed spots in races. They've always got a guy in breaks, and they're not afraid to go out there and race. Or maybe I just like the jerseys :cool: