• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Antoine_Blondin said:
According to RTBF, Franck Vandenbroucke is dead:confused:

Looks like an overdose on coke, Pantani style.
___

The news is devastating and spectacular. Belgian cyclist Frank Vandenbroucke, enfant terrible of flat country, reportedly died on Monday in a hotel room in Senegal, by Belgian RTBF television.

Few details were given regarding his death as impressive and unexpected. We know only that the former winner of Liege-Bastogne-Liege was found unconscious in a hotel room in Senegal. He reportedly died of a pulmonary embolism. It had come back for the umpteenth time on the international stage thanks to Aldo Sassi, coach of Cadel Evans in particular.

We will keep you abreast of the latest news in the coming hours.

We also extend our sincere condolences to the family of the rider.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Was just about to post this. Very weird. Nothing else mentioned so far, but it's also on their website.....but the link is dead. Very strange.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
WTF

3657871127_f869e30035.jpg

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Always kinda fcked-up when a star bites it -- even if he did burn out a long time ago. Definitely had a messed up life. Never an easy ride for that boy (and not entirely his fault either).

Kind of reminds me of this kid near my home town (Western Canada). He was still a teenager and just starting to rip up the international MTB scene when he crashed and broke his leg. He committed suicide not long after.
** NOT TO ASSUME VDB'S DEATH WAS A SUICIDE!**

Sh!tty way to go. At least we have all those great dope-fueled VDB exploits caught on tape!

p.s. -- wasn't he just on training rides with the Belgium team at World's?!?

A

Anonymous

very sad news.. .another life sadly lost, and destroyed in the latter years..

:(

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
And so ends the life of one of the greatest tragic figures in cycling...it's too bad VDB never could get his life in order, with the kind of talent he had he could have done spectacular things

Amen. Very sadly..... may he now rest in peace.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Dead of a heart attack, in Senegal, at the age of 34. Sad, not really shocked, he had some problems but on form he was a great rider to watch.

Pulmonary embolism.

thehog said:
Looks like an overdose on coke, Pantani style.

Mellow Velo said:
Sad and shocking. Leaves 2 kids.
A lesson for all the apologists.

Leave it alone. It's unclear that this was drug related...

When I hear pulmonary embolism, two things immediately come to mind: neoplasm and virchow's triad (stasis/turbulence, endothelial damage, and hypercoagulability).

May 9, 2009
Visit site
dienekes88 said:
Pulmonary embolism. When I hear pulmonary embolism, two things immediately come to mind: neoplasm and virchow's triad (stasis/turbulence, endothelial damage, and hypercoagulability).

When I hear pulmonary embolism, two things immediately come to mind: hard to spell.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Cyclingnews "would like" to offer condolences to VDB's family and friends? What's preventing you from just doing it?

There's nothing more crass than writing a sentence like that, in that derivative way. Either step up and offer condolences or not; don't say that you would like to. Saying you "would like to" does not express sympathy or offer condolences; it's insipid beyond belief.

RIP, VDB.

TRENDING THREADS