• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Velo d’Or 2023

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• MVDP

Votes: 63 37.3%
  • Vingo

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Roglic

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Pog

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Remco

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • It's over. It absolutely, positively, definitely has to be MVDP

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Ok, they gave it to Cringegard, like I give a ***

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Froome

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rackham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Netserk

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
I was thinking of this earlier. Jasper has had a great season. MvDP is just as expected. But then again the results don't quite tell the whole story for MvDP, he did a great job as a lead out man for Jasper at the tour. I suppose they felt a leadout man shouldn't win. Jokes aside, he can feel very hard done by.

Roglic, Jonas, Pogacar, are going to be on everyones list. Which leaves 2 from 3, Jasper, MvDP, Remco. World champs aside, MvDP had a quiet second half of the season results wise & did fewer race days than the others. I can see how someone might pick the other two.
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

MvdP 'just as expected'? What were your expectations a year ago? He came out of a bad fall season where he got incarcerated by the Australian police and didn't ride anything special apart from winning Wallonie, followed by a mediocre winter season: his back problems were constantly ruining his CX competitiveness versus a very strong WvA. We were openly discussing if WvA didn't just outplay him before the WC in Hoogerheide. I don't really see how winning 4 out of your 5 main goals in the season isn't beyond expectation.

Philipsen had a marvellous season, by far the best sprinter, but in order to be on par with MvdP he should've at least won a monument. Evenepoel doesn't even come close, not that he had a bad season, I loved his riding, but for him to be a contender he should've podiumed one GC.
Personally I'd have voted for MvDP to be 1st or 2nd, but we all expected MvDP to do well & challenge for the win at the spring monuments & he did. He was the favourite at the worlds & he won that too. But he only won 3 other races & had 4 other podiums. He only scored a hundred or so UCI points than Jasper mainly because he had far fewer race days.

& if prestige of wins & performance in the big races is more important to you, well like I said, Roglic, Pogacar, & Jonas are going to be your first three on the list so he's not going to be winning it anyway.

Jasper won 19 races. 4 Tour stages, a Green Jersey, several classics, 2nd at Roubaix, & he won a stage in every stage race he contested. He had a great season & had things gone differently he could've won two monuments. MvDP can feel very hard done by, but I can at least understand the logic even if I don't agree with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
& if prestige of wins & performance in the big races is more important to you, well like I said, Roglic, Pogacar, & Jonas are going to be your first three on the list so he's not going to be winning it anyway.
What are you smoking? Roglic won a weak Giro as his only big race.

Roglic didn't dominate a race at all. MVDP had maybe the best classics season of the 21st century.

Jasper won 19 races. 4 Tour stages, a Green Jersey, several classics, 2nd at Roubaix, & he won a stage in every stage race he contested. He had a great season & had things gone differently he could've won two monuments. MvDP can feel very hard done by, but I can at least understand the logic even if I don't agree with it.
There is no logic here. Philipseon won small races . Velo dior is not about stage wins

Personally I'd have voted for MvDP to be 1st or 2nd, but we all expected MvDP to do well & challenge for the win at the spring monuments & he did. He was the favourite at the worlds & he won that too. But he only won 3 other races & had 4 other podiums. He only scored a hundred or so UCI points than Jasper mainly because he had far fewer race days.

So we all expected MvdP to do well? He won 3 out of the 6 all hardest one day races in one season and became second in another. And if we don't give Velo d'Or's anymore to people 'who we expected to do good and did', I guess Pogacar and Messi would never have won a Velo/Bal d'Or.

I'm not even going try to react on this post, so logic lacking is it. It's like dissecting a corpse.

What are you smoking? Roglic won a weak Giro as his only big race.

Roglic didn't dominate a race at all. MVDP had maybe the best classics season of the 21st century.

There is no logic here. Philipseon won small races . Velo dior is not about stage wins
Roglic & Jonas won & podiumed bigger races. Pogacar won 2 monuments, 2nd at the Tour & 3rd at the worlds. If thats your logic, MvDP is at best 4th.

Roglic & Jonas won & podiumed bigger races. Pogacar won 2 monuments, 2nd at the Tour & 3rd at the worlds. If thats your logic, MvDP is at best 4th.
Giro is not bigger than Roubaix or Worlds I'm sorry. VDP won both and Sanremo. 3-1 vs primoz gerrans.

Especially when Giro is barely won against Gerant Thomas, joao almida and damiano caruso. And won by a boring wheelsucker.

Meanwhile VDP is winning the biggest races in our sport with spectacular attacks against WVA, Pogacar, Evenpoel, Pedersen.

If you think that Roglic 2023 season comes close to MVDP 2023 season, nobody in this forum will take you seriously ever again, apart from rackham or that other guy in the roglic thread.

I am sorry but how is Roglic clearly ahead on that list?

The Tour de France is a behemoth that outshines any other race in the eyes of the public but Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a España, despite their status as grand tours, really aren't.

Wait until you hear about the Volta a Portugal.

Ignoring the fact grand tours are more important than monuments & Roglic beat a Tour winner & his team thwarted his attempts to win the Vuelta,... Pogacar won two monuments, & third at the worlds & 2nd at the Tour. & thats if we ignore Amstel, Fleche, Paris Nice, Jaen. So MvDP still doesn't come close to winning according to your logic.

MvDP & Pogacar were the best classic riders of the season. He won the classics rider of the year award & came second overall. What more do you want, blood?

• Haha
Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Ignoring the fact grand tours are more important than monuments & Roglic beat a Tour winner & his team thwarted his attempts to win the Vuelta,... Pogacar won two monuments, & third at the worlds & 2nd at the Tour. & thats if we ignore Amstel, Fleche, Paris Nice, Jaen. So MvDP still doesn't come close to winning according to your logic.

MvDP & Pogacar were the best classic riders of the season. He won the classics rider of the year award & came second overall. What more do you want, blood?
Ignoring the fact that you clearly have no bloody clue what you're talking about --- few complained when Vinge took the trophy and we wouldn't have cared if Pog took it either. The problem is that the reason MVDP didn't win is a handful of spiteful people who didn't even put him in the top 5, clearly believing the assignment was to list their favorite 5 riders rather than the best 5 riders.

You sitting here coming up with coulda woulda shouldas wrt Roglic's performances just proves the point. You're ranking Roglic based on things that didn't even happen outside of your most recent REM cycle.

jp_logo_150238e1.jpg

Common knowledge, buddy ;)

EDIT: For non-Danes, it's the rather infamous newspaper:

5MMDPCu.png
ha ha bro*********f would be proud of the danishsplaining right there

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
So the winner of 2 monuments and the worlds is on 6th place of your list of the best riders of the year?!
I fail to see how is he even 2nd!

Because there are riders with MUCH better seasons is why

Pg winning PN (3 stages), RVV, AG, FW, second in tour with 2 stage wins is simply a much better season than VDP
Vingegaard winning PV (3 stages), DL, TDF (1 stages), 2nd at Vuelta with 2 stage wins is a much better season

Too much emphasis here is placed on 1 day races at the expense of stage races, even GTs

Giro is not bigger than Roubaix or Worlds I'm sorry. VDP won both and Sanremo. 3-1 vs primoz gerrans.

Especially when Giro is barely won against Gerant Thomas, joao almida and damiano caruso. And won by a boring wheelsucker.

Meanwhile VDP is winning the biggest races in our sport with spectacular attacks against WVA, Pogacar, Evenpoel, Pedersen.

If you think that Roglic 2023 season comes close to MVDP 2023 season, nobody in this forum will take you seriously ever again, apart from rackham or that other guy in the roglic thread.

What? Giro not bigger than Roubaix?

Are you one of the actual Vel D'or voters?

• Haha

TDF is the single biggest race.

Because there are riders with MUCH better seasons is why

Pg winning PN (3 stages), RVV, AG, FW, second in tour with 2 stage wins is simply a much better season than VDP
Vingegaard winning PV (3 stages), DL, TDF (1 stages), 2nd at Vuelta with 2 stage wins is a much better season

Too much emphasis here is placed on 1 day races at the expense of stage races, even GTs
Look, what Mathieu Van Der Poel did happened 3 or 4 other times in entire history of cycling, so don't give me that crap that others had MUCH better season. It's practically impossible!
Now, I agree that both Vingegaard and especially Pogacar had fantastic seasons, and I think it's a very tough call who's the best indeed, but to say, like the poster to whom I respond, that he understands why someone would gave the edge to Philipsen and Evenepoel over Van Der Poel and leave him out of the top 5 of the season, that kindly spoken it's not normal!

Look, what Mathieu Van Der Poel did happened 3 or 4 other times in entire history of cycling, so don't give me that crap that others had MUCH better season. It's practically impossible!
Now, I agree that both Vingegaard and especially Pogacar had fantastic seasons, and I think it's a very tough call who's the best indeed, but to say, like the poster to whom I respond, that he understands why someone would gave the edge to Philipsen and Evenepoel over Van Der Poel and leave him out of the top 5 of the season, that kindly spoken it's not normal!
You only leave MvdP out of the top 5 if you're completely taking the piss and only do it for your own agenda, which makes you the worst kind of journalist to get a vote in these awards

through the course of the season, both Pog and Vingegaard had better results. EVERY SINGLE objective scoring metric shows that. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

As I said, one day races are hyped far too much on this forum

Wait a sec, your initial post said that he shouldn't be included in the top-5 at the favour of Evenepoel and Philipsen. MvdP second after Pogi or even third after Vingo and Pogi is something many can understand, but omitting him from the top-5 like quite some journalists did shows me they know feck all of cycling. And no Cycling Quotient in the world can change that.

I analyzed the results based on whether the judges come from a traditional cycling country or the rest. I assigned France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and the 3 Benelux countries as the traditional countries. Basically, those countries that would have been considered the big cycling nations about 30-40 years ago. The new traditionalists: Denmark, Colombia, and Slovenia are lumped in with the rest.

There is a noticeable difference in results from the two groups.

Traditional cycling countries:
MvdP 62, JV 56, TP 47, PR 23, RE 22

Other countries:
JV 86, TP 79, MvdP 71, PR 45, RE 27, JP 17, WvA 5

It looks like riders who have never ridden the Tour (Evenepoel) or who are less conspicuous in the Tour (MVdP) suffer from a TdF bias from the non-traditional countries. It's also interesting that the traditional cycling countries only voted for the big 5 defined in this thread.

Reactions: Sandisfan and kn0s