• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Velogames Tour de France 2018

Many thanks to Rodrigo for creating these leagues. In light of recent events I thought it might be interesting to create an alternative league. A condition for entry to this league would be that Chris Froome is excluded from selection.

This league is called What ASO wants

Code: 778014714

I fully realise that I am as powerless as ASO to influence selection.

Looks like the ASO have pulled the legal strings and prevented Velogames from running their fantasy Tour de France game due to the launch of their own ASO fantasy Tour game.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Due to a recent legal notice, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice.

It is fair to say I am absolutely gutted about this turn of events, but do not want to comment further until the situation progresses.

At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned.

Many apologies for this news, but it is for the best for my family and finances.

Yours in fantasy cycling, George

Savant12 said:
Looks like the ASO have pulled the legal strings and prevented Velogames from running their fantasy Tour de France game due to the launch of their own ASO fantasy Tour game.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Due to a recent legal notice, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice.

It is fair to say I am absolutely gutted about this turn of events, but do not want to comment further until the situation progresses.

At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned.

Many apologies for this news, but it is for the best for my family and finances.

Yours in fantasy cycling, George

That's ridiculous.

Savant12 said:

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Due to a recent legal notice, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice...At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned...Yours in fantasy cycling, George

1. I can't believe I stupidly wasted an hour picking a team for this today, given that I don't even like fantasy sports that much; and

2. I wonder what the conversion rate for ASO will be in getting Velogames's players to sign up for Tour's own game (assuming that's what this is about)? lol :rolleyes:

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Imagine you are hosting a party at your house. You serve lots of food, drinks, music and all your guests are enjoying your party. Then a night club shows up at your house with lawyers and documents to tell you that you need to shut down your party and your guests must leave because the night club is having it's own party. Then they say to you and all your guests, "You are all welcome to attend our party. Here's the address." I'm not going to that party.

Instead of supsending velogames, ASO could have partnered with velogames. Or just leave it alone. What possible damage could velogames have done? I organize sports pools(World Cup, Euro Cup, NHL) at work. The result is it generates interest in those sports. The local pub certainly profits. How does suspending a fantasy cycling game generate interest in the tour? What's next? ASO will shut down bike tours during the tour? Cycling fans who want to follow the stages on their bikes will need to do so using the ASO sponsored bike tour?

Re:

Mayo from Mayo said:
In a token of solidarity to George at Velogames I have started a league on the OFFICIAL ASO FANTASY TOUR.

Name: RatherbeonVelogames
Password:DZM5G

Feel free to join with appropriate usernames and share with anyone you wish!

In Rodrigo's allegory above, this is rather like decamping to the nightclub, and drinking to the health of the party host.

Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Mayo from Mayo said:
In a token of solidarity to George at Velogames I have started a league on the OFFICIAL ASO FANTASY TOUR.

Name: RatherbeonVelogames
Password:DZM5G

Feel free to join with appropriate usernames and share with anyone you wish!

In Rodrigo's allegory above, this is rather like decamping to the nightclub, and drinking to the health of the party host.

On the other thread I bemoaned that I could not work out how to withdraw. I'm now trying to disrupt the opening of the nightclub with the possibility of being excluded.

Rodrigo Arenas said:
Imagine you are hosting a party at your house. You serve lots of food, drinks, music and all your guests are enjoying your party. Then a night club shows up at your house with lawyers and documents to tell you that you need to shut down your party and your guests must leave because the night club is having it's own party. Then they say to you and all your guests, "You are all welcome to attend our party. Here's the address." I'm not going to that party.

Instead of supsending velogames, ASO could have partnered with velogames. Or just leave it alone. What possible damage could velogames have done? I organize sports pools(World Cup, Euro Cup, NHL) at work. The result is it generates interest in those sports. The local pub certainly profits. How does suspending a fantasy cycling game generate interest in the tour? What's next? ASO will shut down bike tours during the tour? Cycling fans who want to follow the stages on their bikes will need to do so using the ASO sponsored bike tour?

Exactly and the same reason that even though (until a very recent Supreme Court case) gambling outside of Nevada and Atlantic city was illegal no one ever did anything about office pools for the NCAA tournament.

TRENDING THREADS