• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Verbruggen

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
noddy69 said:
His apparent response is it was out of context and a reply based on the K Le Monde case and the cover up money, being no positive test attached. That does make sense as a reply, up to the paper now to tell all.

I know what you mean but it's not what he sms'ed nor clarified - see the sms messages - and it's not how the media is picking this story up. He has only himself to blame. And the way the media is running with this is "game over" for Hein.

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Hein Verbruggen: Who is this? Hein
Hans Ruggenberg: Hi Hein. Hans Ruggenberg of the Telegraph. Called you with a view to the latest developments.
Hein Verbruggen: Hello Hans, given the madness and nonsense, I decided not to give interviews or statements before eea is quieter. But if you want an off the record dann info please call. I'm in China. H
Hans Ruggenberg: Okay Hein understandable. Wild indeed a response to the newspaper. Off the record information is difficult in this case, as you can imagine. Let me know if you want to give a statement ... success. Hans
Hein Verbruggen: All I can say is that there are many, many stories and suspicions, but no trace of PROOF. There is not. LA was never tested positive, even by USADA. And who knows the control procedures also know that there is nothing to arrange, etc etc. But I am "tired" stage already slightly over. Beautiful night! Hein
Hans Ruggenberg: Pity the newspaper tomorrow is already gone. Will be for the next day along. Again luck with everything and thanks for your comment. Greetings Hans
Hein Verbruggen: Beautiful. H

Holy ****! It sounds like the UCI might try to contest the USADA evidence!

How do you embed a video here? Anyway, check this out. It's a couple days old, but it's very relevant. ESPN reporting and discussing that drug testers may have unethically informed athletes (i.e., Armstrong and others) of upcoming tests.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OLXzOO473Z8

_

I just signed up here (yep, another long time lurker) to try translate this Verbruggen Telegraaf article, as it's hilarious
http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/wielersport/13092700/__Nieuwe_uitleg_Verbruggen__.html

"Former UCI president Verbruggen says his statements in the interview published in De Telegraaf today were unfortunate. In contrast to what was mentioned in a UCI communique, he does recognize having made these statements. However he claims upon closer inspection his statements could be interpreted in multiple ways.

[Verbruggen being quoted now]
We need some clarification on the Telegraaf story of October 18. I communicated by SMS with Ruggenberg and the texts I have sent out were only related to the alleged corruption case which Nike meanwhile has formally denied. My claim is that LA has never tested positive hence there was no reason to bribe anyone. I do realize that communication by SMS is not ideal to convey clear points of view, and the texts were interpreted differently than intended..."

zenoiz said:
I just signed up here (yep, another long time lurker) to try translate this Verbruggen Telegraaf article, as it's hilarious
http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/wielersport/13092700/__Nieuwe_uitleg_Verbruggen__.html

"Former UCI president Verbruggen says his statements in the interview published in De Telegraaf today were unfortunate. In contrast to what was mentioned in a UCI communique, he does recognize having made these statements. However he claims upon closer inspection his statements could be interpreted in multiple ways.

[Verbruggen being quoted now]
We need some clarification on the Telegraaf story of October 18. I communicated by SMS with Ruggenberg and the texts I have sent out were only related to the alleged corruption case which Nike meanwhile has formally denied. My claim is that LA has never tested positive hence there was no reason to bribe anyone. I do realize that communication by SMS is not ideal to convey clear points of view, and the texts were interpreted differently than intended..."

I guess that means these statements could be interpreted to mean that he is a clown and is just like Mohammar Gaddafi.

Good to know.

Someone might be interested in that admission.

Dave.

T]here are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know.

Zam_Olyas said:
T]here are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know.

And there are clowns, and Gaddafi act-a-likes.

Dave.

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Jesus! No wonder the UCI doesn't want to lt USADA retest Armstrong's 1999 Tour de France samples which would show if there is evidence of EPO doping. They are trying to hide what they know is a positive test!

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
balkou said:
Anyway, there were some developments...

http://gerard.cc/2012/10/18/hein/

Apparently the newspaper scrapped the SMS parts...

I mean OK, Hein has lost it, but not so entirely :D

We talk much about speculations here. This one easy to resolve. For Hein to make the missing sms's available.

On what's available to us now we can only conclude he assumed that the general question was about the Kathy Lemond story. And even then he could have been far less ambiguous in his answer. As we should expect from a man in his position at this point in time. Or maybe not...

TRENDING THREADS