Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Gugashwill

BANNED
Jun 8, 2013
232
0
0
maxmartin said:
nah too early to show the real hand, the fight will start the end of the second week. BTW, Nibali looks very good on today's short punchy climb. He will only get better from now on.
Agreed.
Keeping in mind that his big goal is 4 weeks away, he looks really good.
Also, there's a time trial where he should have an advantage, so no need for huge attack.
 
He rode defensively, not trying to overdo it as he did in 2011 (when he eventually cracked). He's clearly not in the best shape at the moment (in 2010 he could follow the likes of Purito ad Anton). Hopefully he will improve but he'll probably need to limit his losses tomorrow as well.
 
Eshnar said:
so after the first week Nibali is more or less where he was supposed to be (actually better thanks to the TTT) and the Spanish guys (but Moreno) are behind him (and I believe no one on earth expected that). So is there any reason to say Nibali has NOT got this in the bag?
The climb yesterday suited him (compared to Purito and Valverde) better than the upcoming climbs, and he lost time there.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Eshnar said:
so after the first week Nibali is more or less where he was supposed to be (actually better thanks to the TTT) and the Spanish guys (but Moreno) are behind him (and I believe no one on earth expected that). So is there any reason to say Nibali has NOT got this in the bag?
I don't know who you are talking to, most people I know exactly expected this . It is too early to say Nibali has this in the bag, the real Vuelta will start at the end of the second week.
 
roundabout said:
Handled the murito reasonably well today.

I doubt that he will lose that much time. Only if he is on a mediocre day.
ya, he wasn't very well positioned on the start of the climb but did a very nice job and limiting the damage.

Right now, after the first week where he was supposedly going at his weakest during this Vuelta, he is in a perfect position with every dangerous GC rider behind him. But he should start being careful about Moreno who looks to be very strong.
 
Eshnar said:
so after the first week Nibali is more or less where he was supposed to be (actually better thanks to the TTT) and the Spanish guys (but Moreno) are behind him (and I believe no one on earth expected that). So is there any reason to say Nibali has NOT got this in the bag?
I'd be a bit more cautious. He's lost time every day and the real test comes tomorrow.
 
Netserk said:
The climb yesterday suited him (compared to Purito and Valverde) better than the upcoming climbs, and he lost time there.
And he was supposed to (at least that's what I expected)... he's short of form and Purito and Valverde come from the tdf... He lost more than he did on the murito's just because you can't lose much on a short wall unless you're opponent gets the bonus seconds.
 
Eshnar said:
:confused: was there someone expecting Nibali targeting the Worlds would be in front of Purito and Valverde coming from the Tour at this stage? :confused:
On a week full of short uphill finishes!!!!

Certainly no1 on their right mind :eek:

As for his overall chances, he is a good position but it is still uncertain weather the form is already there or not.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Parrulo said:
ya, he wasn't very well positioned on the start of the climb but did a very nice job and limiting the damage.

Right now, after the first week where he was supposedly going at his weakest during this Vuelta, he is in a perfect position with every dangerous GC rider behind him. But he should start being careful about Moreno who looks to be very strong.
Morenno is a very decent hilly ITT, but I still expect him to lose 1:30 mins to Nibali in normal situation, unless he is on fire:D
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Eshnar said:
:confused: was there someone expecting Nibali targeting the Worlds would be in front of Purito and Valverde coming from the Tour at this stage? :confused:
tons of people especially after the fantastic TTT even if they have doubt before the Vuelta started
 
maxmartin said:
nah too early to show the real hand, the fight will start the end of the second week. BTW, Nibali looks very good on today's short punchy climb. He will only get better from now on.
Short, punchy climbs are a different sort of thing and rarely an indication of second and third week performances.

I think tomorrow will give us a better indication of how the hands really are among the favorites.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
rhubroma said:
Short, punchy climbs are a different sort of thing and rarely an indication of second and third week performances.

I think tomorrow will give us a better indication of how the hands really are among the favorites.
yes. But he only lost 5 seconds to AV, JR on this sort of climb. In my book, that is excellent indication of the good form of Nibali (of course not 2013 Giro sort of form).
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
rhubroma said:
It could be, certainly. Let's wait and see then.
told you so:p:D
except they give Horner a little bit too much time. Horner should lose at least 1:30 in ITT in normal situation, but Horner is very unpredictable in ITT. he could give a fantastic ITT. However I still expect Horner will have a bad day in the mountain.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,820
1
0
Nibali looked good today, if only he had jumped on Horners attack when he made it. Form looks good and on the up though.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
whittashau said:
I think that he's not even in top gear yet. At least that's the impression I got after the stage
he is not , he is in a good form but not 2013 Giro form, I only expect him better from now on. Looking forward an excellent ITT performance on his new Specialized ITT bike.
 
Oct 17, 2011
1,315
0
0
maxmartin said:
he is not , he is in a good form but not 2013 Giro form, I only expect him better from now on. Looking forward an excellent ITT performance on his new Specialized ITT bike.
He's got a new Specialized ITT bike?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY