• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 120 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
EnacheV said:
Probably is discutable if Valverde is better than him in 2013, lets say he is 5th after Froome, Quintana, Purito and Horner. Still worse than 2012
Quintana and Purito?
Look, if you wanna say Horner is a better GT rider than Nibali I'll laugh silently because at least you have some fact to back you up. But Purito? Did he ever get a better position than Nibali in any GT they raced together? I can recall at least three and in all three Nibali came above him. Not to mention he never won any GT at all...
As for Quintana, they never raced together so who knows.... Still what we saw from him is nowhere near enough to say he's better than Nibali.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Vincenzo Nibali ‏@VincenzoNibali 1 m
Today I gave heart and soul to fight like a Lion! Sometimes you win sometimes you lose but it's more important to ride honorably to the end!

Like a true hero

band of brothers :cool:

1234858_561773783877127_1575033225_n.jpg

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Back to the race, Sean Kelly was criticizing that "Nibali's teammates did not come back to him quickly enough, they should stop pedaling or ride back towards Nibali." Is there any validity to his comment?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
well, you are not allowed to turn around, and if the stoped up, they would start to get cold quite quickly, but yea. They miss timed it with a couple of minutes

I am surprised Sean Kelly did not know "No Turn Around" rule

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
EnacheV said:
Froome
Quintana
Purito
Valverde
Horner
6th Nibali

this is the value chart for 2013

Froome and Quintana are not discutable
He barely beats Purito and Valverde, both with TDF in their legs
Horner beats him

I must say he's going down, at least in 2012 he was 3rd

Something is not right at Astana

There is so much wrong with that list I don't know where to start. :eek: I'll just assume your trolling, but I would like to just point out Nibali's season. 1st Giro, 1st TA, 1st Giro del Trentino, 2nd Vuelta, 3rd overall Burgos. I'd be interested to hear how Horner's, Valverde's, or Purito's seasons have been as good as his. :D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
EnacheV said:
Add edit : probably i should wait a few days with the cold truth, i understand is a very sad day for Nibali fans, when he was beated by a 42y old, and feelings must be hurtin :D

Are you kidding me! Did you even watch today's stage? The end result was expected, but Nibali made it a race today! He raced with heart and passion and showed he doesn't give up without a fight. It is in defeat where a rider truly shows how great they are and can be, and Nibali showed that he is and can be very great.

Nibali's words and Vino sums it up nicely. :)
Vincenzo Nibali ‏@VincenzoNibali 1 m
Today I gave heart and soul to fight like a Lion! Sometimes you win sometimes you lose but it's more important to ride honorably to the end!

Like a true hero

May 19, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
It would not have made a difference to the result, Tiralongo and co dropped off pretty quickly. Kelly did not say turn around he said stop on the side of the road I think. Obviously they kept pedalling. Great stage for the young French winner, Horner and Nibali.

He absolutely said "turn around" besides saying "stop pedaling".

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-goes-down-at-vuelta-with-all-guns-blazing

He repeats what we have all been saying. He did whatever he could, but he did not arrive in the Vuelta with the kind of shape he had in the giro.
Judging by his w/kg numbers he seems to have about the same form, major difference is that the competition was much tougher. After all, Horner would even have beaten Contador at his best (judging by the times up Angliru), so you can hardly blame Nibali for not being in good enough shape to beat that ****.

maltiv said:
Judging by his w/kg numbers he seems to have about the same form, major difference is that the competition was much tougher. After all, Horner would even have beaten Contador at his best (judging by the times up Angliru), so you can hardly blame Nibali for not being in good enough shape to beat that ****.

Yes, Horner has been climbing at Froome levels but Nibali could have won this if he would have been 100% a the beginning of the Vuelta and if he and his team would have considered Horner to be the stronger competitor (better than Valverde and Purito). The parcours was favoring Horner and it's the first time in many years (if ever) that a pure climber wins a GT. You can also throw in the mix the fact that Horner, amazingly, didn't had one single bad day.

But I personally got over it, yesterday it was a fantastic display, he's only 28 and I'm sure, if he's healthy, we will see many many great GTs with Vincenzo.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Nibbles is a really spectaculair rider, and a great guy, but i don't think he's a better climber than Purito and Valverde. You can't deny that both men faded a little bit because of the Tour in their legs. I think Nibali is the better allrounder to Purito (TT) and Valverde (always a bad day in the mountains, although Piti after his suspension is more regular, interesting;)), but i think as a climber guys like Froome, Quintana, Purito, Piti, Horner and perhaps Wiggo are better. He's won 2 GT, but the competition in the Giro was really weak, with a already retired Evans and Uran who's never showed better than a 7th place.

Arredondo said:
Nibbles is a really spectaculair rider, and a great guy, but i don't think he's a better climber than Purito and Valverde. You can't deny that both men faded a little bit because of the Tour in their legs. I think Nibali is the better allrounder to Purito (TT) and Valverde (always a bad day in the mountains, although Piti after his suspension is more regular, interesting;)), but i think as a climber guys like Froome, Quintana, Purito, Piti, Horner and perhaps Wiggo are better. He's won 2 GT, but the competition in the Giro was really weak, with a already retired Evans and Uran who's never showed better than a 7th place.

Wiggo?!? You can't be serious. Valverde? Not quite. Purito? Maybe on a good day.Quintana? Yes. Horner? Only at 42 years of age. But none of them are better GT riders than Nibali.

Arredondo said:

Nibali dominated the Giro and won easily. You have to be an all rounder these days to win a GT and if there was another TT Horner would not have won but I do agree that Nibali is not one of the great climbers but better than he was a few years ago. Next year's Tour should be a good indicator of where he stands in relation to the best GT riders.

Remember: when Nibali drops a top climber --> the top climber was sick, injured, not in good shape, had a mechanical or most likely all of these things together.
When a top climber drops Nibali --> Nibali is just a level below.

This is the basic rule to judge every Nibali's performance. And of course always keep Ryo's top30 climbers cheatsheet handy.

Rollthedice said:
Wiggo?!? You can't be serious. Valverde? Not quite. Purito? Maybe on a good day.Quintana? Yes. Horner? Only at 42 years of age. But none of them are better GT riders than Nibali.

Indeed Wiggo??? You have to be kidding me.....Wiggo...scratches head. Also conspicuously Contador is missing from the list. While he may be a mere shadow of his former self he could Trash Wiggins up and down any mountain still.

Someday Nibali will get the respect he deserves, 2 GT wins, 4 GT podiums..PLUS podiums at MSR and LBL. And still only 28 years old. This is a Class Cyclist!

The only current GT rider with a better palmares is Alberto Contador. The rest is speculation until they prove their potential.

Carols said:
Indeed Wiggo??? You have to be kidding me.....Wiggo...scratches head. Also conspicuously Contador is missing from the list. While he may be a mere shadow of his former self he could Trash Wiggins up and down any mountain still.

Someday Nibali will get the respect he deserves, 2 GT wins, 3 GT podiums..PLUS podiums at MSR and LBL. And still only 28 years old. This is a Class Cyclist!

The only current GT rider with a better palmares is Albert Contador. The rest is speculation until they prove their potential.

Let's not forget 2 TA where all the best riders attended including a guy named Horner.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
He says Wiggins is better climber than Nibali because in TdF 2012 Nibali got 0 seconds over Wiggins in mountains.

Also, about palmares, 1 TdF is not equal with 1 Giro or 1 Vuelta. Not all GT's are equal

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:

Someday Nibali will get the respect he deserves, 2 GT wins, 3 GT podiums..PLUS podiums at MSR and LBL. And still only 28 years old. This is a Class Cyclist!

The only current GT rider with a better palmares is Albert Contador. The rest is speculation until they prove their potential.

I don't say he isn't a great champion. I think one of the best allrounders of the sport, beautiful to see him fight for the victory, even in a MSR. Last years Tour Nibali wasn't better than Wiggo in the mountains. The French climbs suits Wiggo as well als Nibali, Nibbles however is the better on the steeper climbs.

The discussion was not about who is the better GT rider, which i think is Nibbles, if there is a time trial in it. In the Vuelta of 2010 Purito was a couple of seconds faster after all the mountain stages, and even with a Tour in his legs. The time trial screwed his chances completely, but hey, a GT without a TT isn't a real GT. The only thing i want to make clear is that Nibbles is not the better climber than guys like Purito and Valverde.

Valverde has a bigger palmares comparing Nibbles, winning a Vuelta, 2x LBL, Fleche, 2x Dauphine, Clasica.

Arredondo said:
I don't say he isn't a great champion. I think one of the best allrounders of the sport, beautiful to see him fight for the victory, even in a MSR. Last years Tour Nibali wasn't better than Wiggo in the mountains. The French climbs suits Wiggo as well als Nibali, Nibbles however is the better on the steeper climbs.

The discussion was not about who is the better GT rider, which i think is Nibbles, if there is a time trial in it. In the Vuelta of 2010 Purito was a couple of seconds faster after all the mountain stages, and even with a Tour in his legs. The time trial screwed his chances completely, but hey, a GT without a TT isn't a real GT. The only thing i want to make clear is that Nibbles is not the better climber than guys like Purito and Valverde.

Valverde has a bigger palmares comparing Nibbles, winning a Vuelta, 2x LBL, Fleche, 2x Dauphine, Clasica.
If we're talking about GTs (and I believe we were talking about them) the results of Valverde in one day races counts 0.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
It's also about the performances at those GT. The people claiming that Nibali's not improved clearly didn't see the Giro or the times and numbers he was producing. It was perfectly clear with anyone with a brain that Nibbles climbing at the Giro was by far the best of his career. And it's perfectly clear that he was currently no way near that form now.

TRENDING THREADS