• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
evans has said he is feeling better every day. I think he is more peaking for the last half of the race. Last year he was at peak from the start of the race. We'll see but evans would be dissapointed to only get a small amount of time on wiggins.

A great organisation where people who have common sense join because they know there is only one god, cadel! :d:d:d

in nibali we trust :d:d:d

auscyclefan94 said:
Get Szmyd and Basso to set an infernal pace on the Grand Colombier and on the Croix de Fer. That will hopefully occur and would be fun.
Against Wiggo you need to play mind games not a war of attrition.
Cadel or Nibali needs to attack him in spurts alternately so that Wiggo has to stop/go - he doesn't like that at all. Cadel & Nibali need to make a pact for the whole of next week not to take time from each other on the average over the days.
Their teams need to act as if they are one - then third week all pact are off and may the best human win!:)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Against Wiggo you need to play mind games not a war of attrition.
Cadel or Nibali needs to attack him in spurts alternately so that Wiggo has to stop/go - he doesn't like that at all. Cadel & Nibali need to make a pact for the whole of next week not to take time from each other on the average over the days.
Their teams need to act as if they are one - then third week all pact are off and may the best human win!:)

Yes but a war of attrition will knock out Wiggins' team mates so then Cadel and Nibbles can attack and attack.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Sei un grande Vincenzo.
get

cineteq said:
Typical posters talking after the fact :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: yea, cause attack at the top of GC with sky having porte and rogers and froome and wiggins, and a climb like Richmond still to go, where it is a big advantage to be in a group, is just the perfect way to ride:rolleyes:

EDIT: and btw I've been a fan of him since 2008, so it ain't hating just truth.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Nice try Vincenzo. Hopefully theres a descent coming up which he'll be able to make an attack stick. Rain would help. I do worry about how the effort he put in today will affect him tomorrow though

May 19, 2011
Visit site
WTF
Porte dropped on every major climb last year is invincible in front the peloton after only 12 months.He closed the gap effortlessly. Well done SKY swimming raining.

Vincenzo I am sorry. I am afraid you can't win this unfair fight.:mad:

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Next year he is mine :cool:

I know Agnoli is going with him to Astana, so that's one attacker to help with Vincenzo's crazy descent attacks, but does Astana have many good descenders on their books at the moment? I know Roman is good, but he's leaving isn't he?Gasparotto and Maxim are both pretty good going downhill, right? But I'm guessing not on the same level as Capecchi and Sagan?

Escarabajo said:
Certainly I Like Nibali and I am rooting for him to win. Either him or Cadel. But today was not a good move. Sky had that train working for them. If no other GC contenders joined the attack He should have given up quicker. IMHO.
The thing is he has to play to his strengths where he has the potential to gain minutes, and if he couldn't do it today, it's less likely he can gain massive time in other stages. That's why I think it was a good move. However he started late on the descent, I thought Sagan was already pulled back and he didn't have any luck finding good breakaway riders, so he found himself in no-man's land on the last climb.

If he would've tried in the last descent he would've been caught as he was in the Dauphiné, since it wasn't steep, technical and not long enough.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:
I know Agnoli is going with him to Astana, so that's one attacker to help with Vincenzo's crazy descent attacks, but does Astana have many good descenders on their books at the moment? I know Roman is good, but he's leaving isn't he?Gasparotto and Maxim are both pretty good going downhill, right? But I'm guessing not on the same level as Capecchi and Sagan?

Descending is not usually preferred attacking route, it is only used when running out of other options. I would not worry much about team's descending skills rather Nibali have a few strong climb helpers. Are Basso and Syzmed still saving energy???

May 19, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
The thing is he has to play to his strengths where he has the potential to gain minutes, and if he couldn't do it today, it's less likely he can gain massive time in other stages. That's why I think it was a good move. However he started late on the descent, I thought Sagan was already pulled back and he didn't have any luck finding good breakaway riders, so he found himself in no-man's land on the last climb.

totally agree, you have give it a try. What if Evans JVDB join him at that time? of course after the stage , judging by the result everyone can say it is not the good move. Too bad Sagan is not Porte or Roger LOL

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Descending is not usually preferred attacking route, it is only used when running out of other options. I would not worry much about team's descending skills rather Nibali have a few strong climb helpers. Are Basso and Syzmed still saving energy???

I'm aware of that, but imagine today if nibali attacked on the descent with Capecchi and Agnoli or two such riders with descending abilities which rival his and then who could actually help him on the next climb too. I think such a situation would is obviously one of the only ways which could tear apart the likes of Wiggins and Andy Schleck type climbers who are scared of downhills.

TRENDING THREADS