• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 230 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
yespatterns said:
Am I the only who finds it odd that debridement/debris cleaning isnt being taken of appropriately and timely at this level of sport (applies to both nibbles and contie, and who knows who else)?!

Angliru said:
Isn't this what the team doctors are for?? Sounds quite dangerous!:eek:

very surprised by this. Pretty serious sounding wound, so surely, his team would have some sort of medical assistance for him.
What about his local GP...

Does every rider just happen to have scapel's around the house?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Don't get me wrong but he took Astana's (big) money and he probably knew there would be some of this cycling unrelated things on his way. It's probably on his contract too. Can't complain now.
This.They pay the bills, he should behave.
(I know its stupid from kazakhs,but what can you do)

pigoonse said:
From CyclingNews About his being obligated to go hunting in Kazakhstan and missing the Giro presentation:

“I don't want to go. I've never shot a gun in my life. I don't like to shoot and I'm not interested in hunting. I also want to be at the presentation. Let's see what happens,” Gazzetta report Nibali as saying.

:(

This just makes me like Nibali more than ever. Full marks for not pretending - it's absurd that he's having to do this. All very well saying he should 'behave' but surely the sponsors ultimately benefit is he's allowed to ride???

As for the infected wound, I too find it extraordinary. One such incident could be overlooked, but this is at least three top level riders whose health has been compromised. If such infections are allowed to fester, they could get sepsis, for God's sake. With all the money in the sport, you'd think that the medical provision was the best that money could buy.

ILovecycling said:
@electress
He is an employee, not his own boss.

Yes, but he's allowed to protest if he wants. Being a primadonna all the time is one thing, but I don't have that impression of Nibali. Might annoy the people that pay the bills in the short term, but it might benefit fans of the team long term. Surely that'd be better for the sponsors ?

Wanting to cycle in a prestigious home race as the Italian national champion is not exactly unreasonable. It's not as thought he doesn't want to go because he wants to laze about on the beach.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Jspear said:
Relax it was a joke. :)
If you really want to know, I'm actually a fan of Nibbes. I do like AC better, but after him I go for Nibbes every time.

Fair enough. Reading all the rubbish written by anti-Nibali fans in this thread had me cranky yesterday :eek:

It's all good now ;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Electress said:
Yes, but he's allowed to protest if he wants. Being a primadonna all the time is one thing, but I don't have that impression of Nibali. Might annoy the people that pay the bills in the short term, but it might benefit fans of the team long term. Surely that'd be better for the sponsors ?

I don't know if that matters to be quiet honest. That's what the relationship between employee and employer in general. (not just in cycling).You can throw a hissy fit, but at the end of the day you gotta do it anyway. He is free to vent his frustration to the media. Whether or not it will help his cause or make it worse at the end of the day if vino says.. you go bang bang with some kazhaktie.. then you go bang bang.. sorry. :D

And as far as kazakhstan team concern, italy isn't kazakhstan country. so I guess that must be their reason.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Electress said:
This just makes me like Nibali more than ever. Full marks for not pretending - it's absurd that he's having to do this. All very well saying he should 'behave' but surely the sponsors ultimately benefit is he's allowed to ride???

As for the infected wound, I too find it extraordinary. One such incident could be overlooked, but this is at least three top level riders whose health has been compromised. If such infections are allowed to fester, they could get sepsis, for God's sake. With all the money in the sport, you'd think that the medical provision was the best that money could buy.

This is how I feel as well. But as SafeBet points out, he gets a big paycheck from Astana and Nibali is under contract/obligated and such...

Agree too about the medical follow-up for injuries lately! The cyclists have their responsibilities to report ofc, but it does seem that there was a weird disconnect in the case of Contador, anyway. And why is Nibali doing his own debridement? Hopefully Nibali's situation is better than it sounds and he will be ready for racing this weekend.

Jelantik said:
I don't know if that matters to be quiet honest. That's what the relationship between employee and employer in general. (not just in cycling).You can throw a hissy fit, but at the end of the day you gotta do it anyway. He is free to vent his frustration to the media. Whether or not it will help his cause or make it worse at the end of the day if vino says.. you go bang bang with some kazhaktie.. then you go bang bang.. sorry. :D

And as far as kazakhstan team concern, italy isn't kazakhstan country. so I guess that must be their reason.

That might be my favourite reply ever. :D:D

sir fly said:
Does anyone else think this hunting episode looks so retro - Soviet - totalitarian?

What's the situation with Nibali's contract?
I can see him leaving if this silliness continues.

Without wishing to cast aspersions on any Kazakh posters / readers, having worked in Kazakhstan, it doesn't surprise me one little bit.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
sir fly said:
Does anyone else think this hunting episode looks so retro - Soviet - totalitarian?

What's the situation with Nibali's contract?
I can see him leaving if this silliness continues.
you have probably havent been in russia yet ;)

Electress said:
I've worked in Kazakhstan. Doesn't surprise me one little bit. :rolleyes:
I have to admit that I've expected a bit more class and contemporaneity.

But it's funny scene with Nibali in the cold war alike dictators' hunt.
tumblr_m9teqv8OIp1qz4txfo1_1280.jpg

008a13ee062eff9d7295bfc800a11f33704.jpg

sv-rusi8.jpg

Imagine Nibali there.
Hilarious!

Angliru said:
I can imagine him with his professional cyclist typical low body fat freezing his cajones off! I don't blame him for not wanting to take part. I'm not into the hunting sports and firing off of artillery myself, so I can relate.

There is nothing like the feeling of recoil, the sound of a rifle crack, and the smell of gun powder. ;) You get nearly all your senses involved. It just screams manly. :) If Nibali is a real man he will fall in love with it. :p

Jspear said:
There is nothing like the feeling of recoil, the sound of a rifle crack, and the smell of gun powder. ;) You get nearly all your senses involved. It just screams manly. :) If Nibali is a real man he will fall in love with it. :p

It's the endless toasting at dinner he might really have to worry about…Low body fat won't help much with that, either. One welcome and he'll be on the road to cirrhosis :cool:

Electress said:
It's the endless toasting at dinner he might really have to worry about…Low body fat won't help much with that, either. One welcome and he'll be on the road to cirrhosis :cool:

Oh yes I agree. I think he should be at Lombardia. I understand doing a little bit of this sponsor stuff, but I don't get why it can't be done in the winter...let the riders race during the main racing season, do a little bit of what you have to do to make your sponsors happy after, then get ready for the next year.

Jspear said:
Oh yes I agree. I think he should be at Lombardia. I understand doing a little bit of this sponsor stuff, but I don't get why it can't be done in the winter...let the riders race during the main racing season, do a little bit of what you have to do to make your sponsors happy after, then get ready for the next year.

This. Exactly. There is a time and a place. It really shouldn't be interfering with riders' racing calendars to this extent.

But, in the end, I guess money talks.

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Nibali said about Froome that maybe he doesnt know how to ride his bike.

Karma is a ***** , Nibali crashed last 2 races he started. Definitevly needs to learn how to ride his bike.

TRENDING THREADS