Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 232 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
maxmartin said:
The Astana team will only officially decide their leadership strategy after a November get together but Aru is likely to be team leader for the Giro d'Italia, with Nibali supporting him, before they perhaps switch roles for the Tour de France.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aru-ready-to-lead-astana-at-2015-giro-ditalia


THIS IS STUPID IF IT IS TRUE.
Why is it stupid? Now nibali has an excuse which you'll definitely use for him when he loses next year. You should be grateful
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
maxmartin said:
Haha he is not going to ride Giro, period.:D
you might be right. Unless his italian blood will refuse to take back what he has said after he won TDF. Walk the walk, talk the talk.. :D

However though, the kazak mob (aka vino) has the final say. (read why he missed il Lombardia to go play hunting with some kazak higher up and attend some local kazak bike race). So you might be right. He might forgo the Giro (especially with Contador there now) and focus on TDF.

And the article about Nibali will support Aru in Giro (LOL). why? Nibali has more chance to win the Giro than Aru. Why does he want to be a support if he think s he win it? (I mean between the two)
 
Sep 2, 2010
1,853
0
0
No, Nibali says that he is interested in riding the Giro every year in order to be respectful to the organizers, but he always chooses just one.

He said the same thing before the current season, but it was perfectly obvious that he was always targeting the Tour.
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
LaFlorecita said:
Well before Contador announced it, Nibali clearly stated he would like to try to ride both. Then when Contador announced he would ride both, Martinelli said Aru would ride il Giro, and Nibali the Tour. :D
man of his word :rolleyes:
 
Jun 21, 2009
297
0
0
The Aru leader-Nibali starting to help option actually looked likely from the start. With the possibility that it could turn out like with Indurain-Delgado at the Vuelta in... 89? 90? In the end the old leader still better.

Nibalis/Vinos choices will have very little to do with Contador, since neither cycling, nor the world nor the universe actually turn around Contador. Of course without Contador it would have looked much better for Aru, like this... unlikely he can pull it off.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
"I honestly can't see Nibali getting dragged into a Giro -Tour extravaganza with Contador, much better that he lets Fabio Aru take responsibility for Italian honour and that he saves his strength for the return of Froome and a beefed up Team Sky at the Tour."

I totally agree with Robert Millar.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Amsterdam said:
I still think he will ride the Giro. His Italian pride will make him. Otherwise his Sicillian pride will..
He should focus on the Tour to become the real cycling legend by being the first one to defend the Tour title in the past twenty years.
 
maxmartin said:
He should focus on the Tour to become the real cycling legend by being the first one to defend the Tour title in the past twenty years.


Tell that to wonderboy:p


Anyway, I agree. I just wish Contador would do the same. Focus only on the Tour. Would make a more even giro. Also more importantly, it would bring a Tour with all the top guys focusing on the tour, so no excuses. And hopefully no bad luck, so we could see who is really the strongest.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Samson777 said:


Tell that to wonderboy:p


Anyway, I agree. I just wish Contador would do the same. Focus only on the Tour. Would make a more even giro. Also more importantly, it would bring a Tour with all the top guys focusing on the tour, so no excuses. And hopefully no bad luck, so we could see who is really the strongest.
haha I know and roughly twenty because Indurain also got 94 and 95.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Great reply from Nibali to Oleg's bait:D

On Twitter, Nibali said ""Se io fossi in @olegtinkov il milione di € lo utilizzerei per costruire giovani squadre per un grande futuro!!" (If I was Oleg Tinkov, I'd use the €1 million to build development teams for a great future."

Tinkov troll later replied in Italian, "Why or? I could do both!" Team manager Stefano Feltrin replied, "if you race @giroditalia Oleg will bankroll an u23 team!"
 
Jul 1, 2013
1,952
0
0
I'm sure Nibali will only do what's best for him. Unfortunately sooner or later he's going to get beaten by Contador. He can Choose if that happens in May or July.;)
 
Samson777 said:


Tell that to wonderboy:p


Anyway, I agree. I just wish Contador would do the same. Focus only on the Tour. Would make a more even giro. Also more importantly, it would bring a Tour with all the top guys focusing on the tour, so no excuses. And hopefully no bad luck, so we could see who is really the strongest.
Thing is with the exception of Quintana, we were expecting that this past July. AC, CF, and VN all came to the Tour with great form. Cycling is so unpredictable, AC is smart in not putting all his eggs in one basket next year.

As far as Nibbes is concerned - I think it would be extremely hard for him to win the Giro or Tour next year (assuming AC and CF are at one or the other in great form), he should target all of the ardennes classics (a win here would look great on his palmares) and then go for the Vuelta.
 
Jspear said:
Thing is with the exception of Quintana, we were expecting that this past July. AC, CF, and VN all came to the Tour with great form. Cycling is so unpredictable, AC is smart in not putting all his eggs in one basket next year.

As far as Nibbes is concerned - I think it would be extremely hard for him to win the Giro or Tour next year (assuming AC and CF are at one or the other in great form), he should target all of the ardennes classics (a win here would look great on his palmares) and then go for the Vuelta.
True. Also why it would be very annoying if it again did not happen this year. Don't know if doing the giro is smart, this year Contador ended up winning the Vuelta anyway. Which is as good as winning the Giro, or close at least. If we should argue for doing the giro, by pointing to what happened this year. It wouldn't make to much sense.

But maybe Contador will just do what Robo Basso would have done. Kill both the giro and le tour. And all this speculation of mine, will prove to have nothing do with reality.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY