• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 271 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

SafeBet said:
4q0i8h.jpg

Nice food, tranquillo.

License commission meeting under way... a decision will be taken within the next 7 days.

If Astana's license is withdrawn, the Kazakh team will certainly appeal to CAS.
That would almost automatically suspend the license withdrawal for the time being and Astana could take part in the Giro in May.
Uncertain their TdF partecipation though, as it depends on the appeal timing.

Re:

huge said:
License commission meeting taking place... a decision will be taken within the next 7 days.

That would almost automatically suspend the license withdrawal for the time being and Astana could take part in the Giro in May.
That is no sure thing.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
huge said:
License commission meeting taking place... a decision will be taken within the next 7 days.

That is no sure thing.

Very likely.

Anyway, I think Astana will keep their license putting Vino's head on the table. Human sacrifice :D

Paolo Slongo, on Nibali (from a Gazzetta dello Sport interview):

“We worked with him a lot, on what he was missing in the first part of the season such as the changes of rhythm and above threshold efforts. The Amstel Gold Race and Fleche-Wallonne will polish his form, while Vincenzo has something to prove at Liege-Bastogne-Liege. He really cares about it and so we started the camp earlier. He’ll also ride the Tour de Romandie and target the overall classification.”

Slongo revealed that Nibali would be ready to also ride the Giro d’Italia.

“If things changed, it wouldn’t be a problem. Vincenzo would be ready. Remember 2010? He was called up to ride at the last minute instead of Pellizotti and finished third overall. Vincenzo is a lot stronger now than he was then.”

“A lot has changed for Vincenzo after winning the Tour de France. He arrived at Teide a bit overloaded with all the extra things he’d been doing. Lets say he was more stressed out than usual. The camp was useful in helping clear his head and rediscover himself. But I think he’s got some good form,” Slongo told Gazzetta dello Sport."

Tranquillo Squalo, tranquillo! I'm sure all of Astana is less then relaxed at the moment :(

Re:

huge said:
License commission meeting under way... a decision will be taken within the next 7 days.

It's not technically a withdrawal it's a downgrade.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Astana will get the license revoked, Nibali will ride Giro since CAS outcome is unpredictable and the risk to loose all year is big. Slongo is the first to give a plan B possibility. What do you think?
I think that Nibali won't ride the Giro, and that the statement about the possibility is just a way of telling to fans and all concerned that Nibali has the form despite the setbacks.
Also, I think they'll participate in the Tour, but whether it'll be Contador 2011. style or fully cleared remains to be seen.

Re:

huge said:

Astana have quite a few high up Italians in their team, so they might try to make the CAS appeal Italian style, as in it will be decided in late 2019.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Astana will get the license revoked, Nibali will ride Giro since CAS outcome is unpredictable and the risk to loose all year is big. Slongo is the first to give a plan B possibility. What do you think?

Yep Slongo sure opened the Giro door. While I'd love to see Nibali ride the Giro, if it means he won't get to defend his Tour title I'd prefer he not ride the Giro! I guess it all depends on the decision that comes down and what options are open if it is against Astana.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Let's hope he rides the giro, if he does this isn't bad for aru at all.

I don't know why some of you pety aru. He was never gonna win the giro anyways, it's not that nibali takes that away from him.

In the contrary the only way aru has a chance to win, is with nibali. Now they've 2 guys, and that's a big weapon.

Re:

Miburo said:

I don't know why some of you pety aru. He was never gonna win the giro anyways, it's not that nibali takes that away from him.

In the contrary the only way aru has a chance to win, is with nibali. Now they've 2 guys, and that's a big weapon.

He was never going to win this year, but I'm sure there are others besides me who wanted to see if he has made any more improvements on last years form.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Miburo said:

He was never going to win this year, but I'm sure there are others besides me who wanted to see if he has made any more improvements on last years form.
Exactly, I hope Aru will get to ride for himself. I want to see him & Alberto attack Richie :)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
Even in the case Nibali rides the Giro, which is highly unlikely, Aru won't be slaving for him. A dual threat approach is actually one of the few that could put Contador's supremacy in danger.

Eaxctly, aru slaving for nibali would be ***.

Btw of course i meant aru won't win this year, maybe in the next years he can win the giro depending on the field and his improvement.

I don't see Nibali in such climate of "uncertainties" at the judicial level changing his plans to defend his title at the TDF. I believe that references to a Giro participation are speculative and not serious. But who knows what Astana will be forced to demand from its top riders

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I remember a lot of comments on Nibali last year... like "Froome will drop him on the first clim". Then when he won the second stage of the TDF someone said "he tries to take something now because he knows he can't win". Then when Contador lost two minutes on the cobbles someone else said "He's gonna lose during the third week". Yeah yeah sure, 19 days with the yellow jersey, was it? Don't underestimate him, Nibali is not one of those riders like Valverde who can keep a good form for months. He has a brief peak but if he is also one of the most all-round riders on the scene.

Re:

Mozart92 said:
I remember a lot of comments on Nibali last year... like "Froome will drop him on the first clim". Then when he won the second stage of the TDF someone said "he tries to take something now because he knows he can't win". Then when Contador lost two minutes on the cobbles someone else said "He's gonna lose during the third week". Yeah yeah sure, 19 days with the yellow jersey, was it? Don't underestimate him, Nibali is not one of those riders like Valverde who can keep a good form for months. He has a brief peak but if he is also one of the most all-round riders on the scene.

This is nonsense. Don't make excuses for him. He was so much better to watch in say 2013 than he was 2014. He is fully capable of peaking more than once during a year. As a professional athlete he should be required to "try" in races other than the Tour. As a fan of his, I want to see him riding well in more than just the Tour. I really hope he is competitive in LBL.

TRENDING THREADS