• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 322 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Arnout said:
Nibali wouldn't have made up the necessary time to Valverde so it doesn't really matter.

You have to love the haters though. Get a life.

Hard to say actually.

During the first half of the climb his disadvantage went down from 1.20 at bottom to 25 secs, when Quintana made his final attack. And after that he kept his gap from Froome for a few more kms just to let it go at end, as there was no point at all to keep pushing. Therefore he was definitely in great shape.

If he had been in the Yellow Jersey's group, who knows what could have happened against Valverde.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Punished by Karma for his transgression against the Yellow Jersey the day before. I hope he'll learn. He did win a stage though, so at least the 2014 winner isn't leaving in disgrace.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Pippo_San said:
Bad luck or not, overall he wasn't in such a great shape. It seems like after the first week something broke inside of him. Like you know he started to somehow give up.
Like in this stage at the end.

Oh well **** happens. Still the best GT rider there is.

eh? Froome Quintana and Contador all easily better :confused:

I think the Nibali of last season could have easily contended for this Tour.

PremierAndrew said:
Pippo_San said:
Bad luck or not, overall he wasn't in such a great shape. It seems like after the first week something broke inside of him. Like you know he started to somehow give up.

mmm..best climbers (i'm not sure though) does not equal best rider (attacking skills,decision making,bike handling skills,descnder etc..)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Punished by Karma for his transgression against the Yellow Jersey the day before. I hope he'll learn. He did win a stage though, so at least the 2014 winner isn't leaving in disgrace.

You're kidding right? :confused:

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Pippo_San said:

Easily? Now that's a stretch :eek:

Re:

SeriousSam said:

Nibali is (after the GREAT Contador) the best rider of his generation. He doesn't give a sxxit about what Froome thinks.

He should learn what exactly? How to kiss Froome's ass?

Re:

rhubroma said:
It's true what Nibali says though that there are no rules against what he did and given that it really didn't cost Froome much other than the nuisance of a forced effort, the guy had no business cursing and insulting Nibali. What he thus tries to project as a mellow, composed and polite fellow is in reality merely the facade of a royal d"£$!/. This, however, is hardly surprising after so many unpleasant tweets by his outspoken woman.

Probabaly just the heat of the moment :)

Think Nibali stopped giving a *** today after the mechanical. Had only one day where he was in decent form and rode like a champ that day. I think he was just really happy to have such a good victory after losing the whole Tour so early and doubting his form, the pressure etc.

Anyone know what his objectives are the rest for the season. Vuelta could be good?

Re:

Red Rick said:
Think Nibali stopped giving a **** today after the mechanical. Had only one day where he was in decent form and rode like a champ that day. I think he was just really happy to have such a good victory after losing the whole Tour so early and doubting his form, the pressure etc.

Anyone know what his objectives are the rest for the season. Vuelta could be good?
I hope so. It would be comedy gold to watch Martinelli dealing with Nibali, Aru and Landa in the same team :D

Eshnar said:
Red Rick said:
Think Nibali stopped giving a **** today after the mechanical. Had only one day where he was in decent form and rode like a champ that day. I think he was just really happy to have such a good victory after losing the whole Tour so early and doubting his form, the pressure etc.

I hope so. It would be comedy gold to watch Martinelli dealing with Nibali, Aru and Landa in the same team :D
What would make it even better was if Vino decreed there would be no designated leader and that everything would be decided on the road. How awesome would that be?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
What a shame Nibs was not in great form over the 3 weeks. If Astana had brought the Giro boys to this tour instead, it would have been so different.
Hope Nibs can recover and ride the Vuelta and show us what he can do if Froome and Quintana decide to race as well

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
nibali just coming to form. He should do Vuelta to redeem his season. Astana 1,2 3 in vuelta would make vino forgets about TDF. Brailsford brings on your horse froome to Vuelta. On side note; Karma today for Nibali.. he just had to have mechanical in the most crucial moment. Landa/Aru did that to contador in the Giro. It's no suprise anymore coming from astana. But.. karma is always a ***.

I suppose we'll know very soon whether or not he is going to ride the Vuelta. Less than 4 weeks to the start... and I'm really curious to see how Astana is gonna handle the situation. Aru has been planning the Vuelta since the Giro (and most probably even before) and is/was supposed to be the team leader. If Nibali enters the race, it's to win it... but I really don't see Aru playing domestique for him.