• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 404 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, dfromdub , for the link and your translation. He speaks way too fast for me to catch much - I'm dependent on a transcript. And what he described about that stage, Peter killing it :D in the breakaway , Aru's role and his role makes sense. Nibs really gets either no press or a negative portrayal in the English speaking press. I ignore it and go by what I see. Also nice to hear him admit he was being cautious -- that's what it appeared to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_OKRHsfy_w

I'm satisfied and can't wait for Rio!

I don't think he spent so much energy apart from that last stage.
Surely less than most other contenders for the Rio RR, including Rui Costa.

We've seen Nibbles being afraid and cautious in descents before (Firenze for instance), but he always managed to find his confidence back (Lombardia 2015). I do believe he's not as dauntless as he was in his Liquigas days though.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:

We've seen Nibbles being afraid and cautious in descents before (Firenze for instance), but he always managed to find his confidence back (Lombardia 2015). I do believe he's not as dauntless as he was in his Liquigas days though.

That's what I've thought: not as dauntless as in the Liquigas days. But able to find the level he needs to win in the right circumstances (Lombardia 2015) thanks, Safebet.

Re: Re:

jalep said:
SafeBet said:

That's what I've thought: not as dauntless as in the Liquigas days. But able to find the level he needs to win in the right circumstances (Lombardia 2015) thanks, Safebet.

Wife and daughter changed his outlook on risk taking IMO. He's still a 2nd is not good kind of guy when targeting a race but just doesn't risk life and limb like he did before. Still a Grand Racer of the type I like, an animator! Not afraid to win and not afraid to lose!

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Has Nibali ever descended better than in Lombardia last year? I mean that was absolutely superb descending back then and people still say he used to be even better? I still think that with a good attack he can drop every other climber on a descent, just remember the Asolo stage in the giro this year. He didn't even really try that hard but immediately opened a gap of a few seconds when he came to the front.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site

Carols said:
jalep said:
SafeBet said:

Wife and daughter changed his outlook on risk taking IMO. He's still a 2nd is not good kind of guy when targeting a race but just doesn't risk life and limb like he did before. Still a Grand Racer of the type I like, an animator! Not afraid to win and not afraid to lose!

Hey Carol(s) :) I wouldn't disagree at all because I have seen variations of that type of response from people after they have kids. An older sister had a complete 180 personality change: wouldn't ski, ride a bike, no more surfing, risk taking. It's far more subtle a change for Nibali. Yes, still the all around racer I like!

Then look at Froome -- attacking on a descent. He just had a baby. You never know with people.

Gigs_98 said:
Has Nibali ever descended better than in Lombardia last year? I mean that was absolutely superb descending back then and people still say he used to be even better? I still think that with a good attack he can drop every other climber on a descent, just remember the Asolo stage in the giro this year. He didn't even really try that hard but immediately opened a gap of a few seconds when he came to the front.

I think he used to be less cautious when it wasn't specifically to attack. In the good old day he'd just descend at his own pace, ride a descent on dirt roads and drop the whole peloton in 2 corners, for no reason at all

jalep said:
Carols said:
jalep said:
SafeBet said:

Hey Carol(s) :) I wouldn't disagree at all because I have seen variations of that type of response from people after they have kids. An older sister had a complete 180 personality change: wouldn't ski, ride a bike, no more surfing, risk taking. It's far more subtle a change for Nibali. Yes, still the all around racer I like!

The responsibility of a life you brought into the world looms large for many people...... Can't disrespect that choice.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Jakob Fuglsang was on "Aftentour" on Danish Television the same day Nibali rode the descent piano-style telling the reporter that Astana had experienced problems with their brakes, especially in rainy conditions.

Well, it seems the feedback on Corima Wheels with their specific red brake pads do have various reviews differing from taking a while before they grip and strait out do not brake well enough.

We have in fact seen Nibali having trouble on descents in rainy conditions quite often so I think this might be holding him back. New equipment next year and hopefully new wheels supplier.

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site

Anything about his post-Rio schedule? He'll likely target a second win in Lombardia, but before that? I'd love to see him in the Canadian Classics, but he'll probably prepare at the Trittico Lombardo again?

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Looks as if this new Bahrain team will come to fruition for next year, so Nibbles will probably be riding for them for 2017. Do you think they will want him to ride the tour next year? I would think that as an Italian the 100th edition of the Giro must hold some appeal.

Re:

fungusbear said:
Looks as if this new Bahrain team will come to fruition for next year, so Nibbles will probably be riding for them for 2017. Do you think they will want him to ride the tour next year? I would think that as an Italian the 100th edition of the Giro must hold some appeal.

I can't think of any scenario where Nibali doesn't do the Giro! He is a necessity.

Re:

Felice Gimondi said:
Jakob Fuglsang was on "Aftentour" on Danish Television the same day Nibali rode the descent piano-style telling the reporter that Astana had experienced problems with their brakes, especially in rainy conditions.

Well, it seems the feedback on Corima Wheels with their specific red brake pads do have various reviews differing from taking a while before they grip and strait out do not brake well enough.

We have in fact seen Nibali having trouble on descents in rainy conditions quite often so I think this might be holding him back. New equipment next year and hopefully new wheels supplier.

Good info, thanks!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I read an old interview of Geraint Thomas where he said Froome didn't know who the new guy was at Astana, referring to Vincenzo Nibali back in 2013. :rolleyes:

What a terrible liar.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I found another old interview. This time Francesco Moser criticized this generation of Italian cyclists and stated that Nibali gained his status in the peloton through the flaws of his rivals and not because of his talent. He further stated that Nibali is a good cyclist, but that doesn't make him a champion.

Date of the interview: 3 October 2012

Quite rich coming from the guy who only won the Giro because the race organisation gave him the perfect route (with few mountains), not to mention the whole helicopter shenanigans during the time trial. They even cancelled a mountain pass to make Moser win. He's the biggest disgrace on the Giro winner's sheet.

He even has the audacity to criticize Wiggins for exactly the same thing that won Moser the Giro:

Looking outside Italy, Moser said that he also considers it premature to regard Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins as a new star. “He won the yellow jersey as the Tour has been designed specifically for his characteristics,” he said, claiming that his team did much of the work to set him up in the mountains, and that the difference was made in the time trials. “I do not think would be able to do it again with a different parcours. The only real great, I think, is Contador.”

Hate to break it to you Moser, but Nibali has a better palmares than you and he's a bigger champion to boot.

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/19880/francesco-moser-kritisch-over-huidige-italiaanse-vedetten.html

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re:

UnleashTheSharq said:
Nibali vs Aru vs Landa, the ultimate Astana showdown. Also Valverde (Quintana to also return to Giro?), Kruijswijk, Meintjes, Latour, and maybe even Pinot and TJVG. Should be fun.

I really hope so! Although I would be surprised if Quintana went, and I think Valverde may focus on the tour too. Pinot would benefit massively from it, but there would be considerable pressure from the French for him to focus on the tour. TJVG may have too much ego to miss the tour (but again he should focus on the Giro). Would love to see the Yates twins go to the Giro (although that will never happen).

Re:

El Pistolero said:
I found another old interview. This time Francesco Moser criticized this generation of Italian cyclists and stated that Nibali gained his status in the peloton through the flaws of his rivals and not because of his talent. He further stated that Nibali is a good cyclist, but that doesn't make him a champion.

Date of the interview: 3 October 2012

Quite rich coming from the guy who only won the Giro because the race organisation gave him the perfect route (with few mountains), not to mention the whole helicopter shenanigans during the time trial. They even cancelled a mountain pass to make Moser win. He's the biggest disgrace on the Giro winner's sheet.

He even has the audacity to criticize Wiggins for exactly the same thing that won Moser the Giro:

Looking outside Italy, Moser said that he also considers it premature to regard Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins as a new star. “He won the yellow jersey as the Tour has been designed specifically for his characteristics,” he said, claiming that his team did much of the work to set him up in the mountains, and that the difference was made in the time trials. “I do not think would be able to do it again with a different parcours. The only real great, I think, is Contador.”

Hate to break it to you Moser, but Nibali has a better palmares than you and he's a bigger champion to boot.

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/19880/francesco-moser-kritisch-over-huidige-italiaanse-vedetten.html

Grand Tours

Tour de France

2 stages (1975)

Giro d'Italia

General Classification (1984)
Points Classification (1976, 1977, 1978, 1982)
23 stages

Stage races

Volta a Catalunya

General classification (1978)

Tirreno–Adriatico

General classification (1980, 1981)

One-day races and Classics

Road Race World Championships (1977)
Italian National Road Race Championship (1975, 1979, 1981)
Milan–San Remo (1984)
Paris–Tours (1974)
Paris–Roubaix (1978, 1979, 1980)
Gent–Wevelgem (1979)
Giro di Lombardia (1975, 1978)
La Flèche Wallonne (1977)
Züri-Metzgete (1977)

They were different types of riders but Moser's record still looks impressive and he also had multiple podiums in the Giro. Three consecutive Paris Roubaix wins, won the Worlds also. Most riders today would be happy to take Moser's record for themselves.