• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 406 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
You can't just compare average watts of two different Tours and make conclusions based on that. There are far too many variables to take into account like route, weather and perhaps most importantly: the pace being set by mountain trains before the favorites start attacking each other. I can guarantee you that the average w/kg Nibali reached during his attacks in the Tour of 2014 are vastly superior to those of Bardet during this year's Tour.

Ps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmwLb6Grvfw

This wasn't too long ago. ;)

Re:

El Pistolero said:
You can't just compare average watts of two different Tours and make conclusions based on that. There are far too many variables to take into account like route, weather and perhaps most importantly: the pace being set by mountain trains before the favorites start attacking each other. I can guarantee you that the average w/kg Nibali reached during his attacks in the Tour of 2014 are vastly superior to those of Bardet during this year's Tour.

Ps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmwLb6Grvfw

This wasn't too long ago. ;)

I knew you'd say that. Perfect argument.
Having said that, we do compare climbing times.
ammattipyoraily and Mihai do say that Froome is the best but cannot do what Lance did. They say that by looking at data. Data never lies.
We can keep arguing. Now you'll claim the calculations done are wrong. The data is faulty. We shouldnt use Ferrari's formula. Its ***.

Seriously you're gonna show me Tour of Oman? Lol. Its so early in the season. They count for nothing IMO. Bardet wasn't doing the Giro; Nibali was. He had to show better form early. Would have been interesting had Landa been there. He looked crazy strong.
Tour of Romandie Froome lost 17 minutes in the first mountain stage. The reason why I saw this is because early form counts for nothing generally.
Froome lit up the field in the Dauphine. Your name says youre a Contador fan. Froome looked at Contador before picking up the cadence the second time. He cracked him. It sure looked like he was asking about that coffee. :lol: :lol:
But Contador is a great champion. Kudos for being a fighter.

Re:

jens_attacks said:
Nibali 2014 vs bardet 2016?

Nibali wins, peeps. Climbs were longer than in this edition. Anyway don't imagine that he would put more than 3 minutes on bardet, forget about 10.
But year bardet improved massively. Can't see nibali ever getting to 2014 tdf level.

When you look at who finished on the podium in 2014 Nibali's time gap was not that surprising and neither Peraud or Pinot could repeat that form. With the time gap Nibali already had on Contador and Froome before they retired that was going to be a fascinating Tour. Nibali was on good form in the mountains that year and it could have ended up being a real dogfight and a classic race. Oh well the races we never got to see !

Re:

nogav1ca said:
He may be fast, but I also think that he is crashing a lot when he goes full speed.
That's normal, the more you are on the limit the easier it is to crash.

At least Nibs tries all the times, and loses a lot which is part of the deal. There are a lot of haters around but I am sure cyclism will miss him whenever he retires.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Have to say I feel even worse for Henao, the crash wasn't even his fault

True. And since Nibali so often receives praise when he flips a coin and it comes up heads, he deserves some blame when he flips it and it comes up tails.

Re:

nogav1ca said:
He may be fast, but I also think that he is crashing a lot when he goes full speed.

That's nothing new. Nibali has had plenty of "descending" crashes during his racing career. Luckily always cuts and bruises. It's pretty obvious that if someone pushes it to the limit and beyond, an error is always behind the corner.

Only who doesn't risk anything, does not make errors.

And frankly at moment I'm only concerned with his conditions. Any news? He didn't look seriously injured on TV.

Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
Ikbengodniet said:
Well there goes the title best descender of his generation.
I feel really sorry for him. Great spirit, great tactics and I think he was the best today.
I'm pretty sure Sammy Sanchez has had the title for a long time, or Evans

None of Nibali, Samu or Evans had the title of best descender of the generation at any moment. Heavier riders like Cancellara and Hushovd are noted by riders as the best descender for years and right now Sagan is the best descender by a large margin. Even Savoldelli said Cipo was the best descender that he had ever seen.

TRENDING THREADS