• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 435 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What a fight to the end, he still is great champion!

At the end he lost 9 seconds to the great NQ who more or less was supposed to win this Giro softpedalling. No-one expected Major Tom to do what he did, but was surely a worthy winner.

I think Lo Squalo proved that he still belongs to Big4 (5 actually now), hope he will keep on lighting these races many years. Won't forget the riding class he provided in Queen Stage.

Great podium everything considered. I'm a bigger fan of his after this race. If we stay in the speculation department, the Blockhaus stage did cost him exactly 40 seconds to Dumoulin, which is what he ended up being behind. Of course Oropa was expensive as well, but I don't think he made any big mistakes tactically on that stage. It just wasn't hard enough to suit him.

SafeBet said:
hfer07 said:
No matter what happens tomorrow in the ITT and what podium spot Nibs steps on in the final GC, overall I'm really pleased with his performance, considering he's leading a brand new team, perhaps not as powerful as his former Astana, but he managed to win a stage and get the most of it.

Grande Nibali ! :)
I genuinely think he would have won this Giro if riding with a team as strong as Astana in 2016. Bahrain had some issues (Navardauskas injury, Moreno DQ) but was overall disappointing as well. Not Sunweb level maybe, but not much better. It reminded me a bit of his Liquigas days (TdF 2012 in particular).

He also made a couple of tactical mistakes which cost him some time here and there. He wasn't the strongest rider in this Giro, but he's won GTs before without being the strongest.

A fine performance, the kind of performance which will lead him to focus on GTs for some more time. Which is kind of sad, because there's a good chance he'll never win one again, and this approach takes away the best part of Nibali, ie racing at top level in one week stage races and classics. I guess we'll never see him giving a shot to cobbles.

I don't think Movistar was crash hot either. It was ridiculous to see three Katusha riders on the front on the ascent of the Grappa and no one from Movistar helping them. I think that's why the race was unpredictable and allowed Dumoulin to keep recovering when he got dropped on the climbs. The team leaders ended up with no help at the front. I think if Sky didn't have the problems they had and Landa and Thomas were healthy and also with Yates being affected it played into Dumoulin's hands. I think there was more chance Dumoulin would have got caught out in the mountains and lost bigger time. But Dumoulin also had problems which lost him big time so it's impossible to say what would have happened if Sky hadn't been knocked around early in the race. Dumoulin won the hard way so it was a good victory.

Grande Nibali!! He never stopped fighting. 4 GT Wins, including all 3 GTs plus 5 GT podiums. There is only one active guy with a better palmares than the Shark. I hope he rests up, repeaks and goes to the Vuelta! Hopefully with a stronger team around him.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
He almost had tears in his eyes on the podium. Even if he lost I'd say a good Giro for Vincenzo, un grande campione. He has 9 GT podiums in 12 years as a pro, officially the most of all active riders
Not forgetting winning the queen stage, last year he conquered Agnello, this year Stelvio. Tre Cime in 2013, Grappa in 2010. Not bad.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The what ifs people make up here don't go though, because it's an easy counter with 'what if dumo didn't lose 2 minutes in poopgate'.

Still, he was a great fighter till the end and came much closer to Quintana then I'd ever thought possible. Just unlucky Dumoulin was too good

I believed from the beginning that he will win against Quintana even when he was struggling with Roson in Croatia and I am sure he could've done it without Tom in the picture. Dumoulin was too strong and changed the dynamics of the race fairly quickly. There is no doubt that Tom was the best in this extremely competitive Giro even if for just a few seconds. Like I said elsewhere, a star is born, a complete GT rider who will give a hell of a ride for any competitors in the following years. Regarding Vincenzo, you just cannot doubt a rider who is in this company:

Most podiums in Giro-Tour-Vuelta

13 Anquetil
12 Gimondi, Hinault, Merckx
10 Bartali, Poulidor
9 Indurain, Coppi, NIBALI

Wow, thats incredilby impressive, especially for someone who is probably only the 4th most talented gt rider of his generation.

Anyway I hope he'll go to the Vuelta and give the Giro another try next year. And please please please, let Contador extend his career for one year as well and give us the big duel between these two legends. They may be past their prime but they'll surely have one legendary duel left in their legs. And I mean seriously, how could a battle between these two not end up great :)

In retrospect Nibali may come to somewhat regret saying in an interview that he never expects anyone to wait for him, even if it was entirely true. Better to leave some ambiguity on that score rather than tell your future rivals that just to defend your actions in a situation where nobody really thought your actions needed defending.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
ammattipyoraily posted this on twitter, GT podiums of active riders. This treats the GTs and 1st to 3rd the same which is obv very wrong, but still. Impressive

DA8WyxIW0AED7Yk.jpg:large

Of those who have won at least two GT's among current riders, Quintana is the most consistent in placing on podiums, with six podiums in the nine GT's he has ridden. Nibali, Contador, and Froome are roughly comparable, if I have my numbers right, as they have finished on the podium in just over half the GT's they have started. Throw in Aru, and he is at three podiums in six GT's. Add in Valverde, and he is at eight podiums in twenty-one GT's he started.

Re: Re:

lenric said:
SeriousSam said:
ammattipyoraily posted this on twitter, GT podiums of active riders. This treats the GTs and 1st to 3rd the same which is obv very wrong, but still. Impressive

DA8WyxIW0AED7Yk.jpg:large

Nice catch, but it would mean more the percentage of podiums per GT ridden.
Wins/podiums/starts - % of podiums

Nibali 4/9/17 - 53%
Valverde 1/7/21 - 33%
Contador 7(9)/7(9)/13(15) - 54% (60%)
Froome 3/7/13 - 54%
Quintana 2/6/9 - 66%

Re:

lenric said:
Magnificent, yet underrated, rider.

I don't think anyone underrates him; 4 Grand Tours, one of only 6 cyclists in history to win all 3 Grand Tours; won Lombardia. Contador is the top of his generation when it comes to GT racers and maybe Froome, but besides that, who else? Maybe Quintana if he wins a Tour, but that remains to be seen.

Because I continue to have too much time to think about things that interest me more than they should, I have some thoughts on the 2014 Tour, and what might have been in Froome had not left the race. I know this is well-hashed territory, but here goes.

In the 2012 Tour, Froome took almost four minutes on Nibali in 95K of time trials. The final (only) time trial in the 2014 Tour was 54K. Not a perfect comparison -- the 2012 TT's were flat, the 2014 TT had two hills/climbs -- and not sure if the hills/climbs would help or hurt Nibali, but in the absence of conclusive analysis, say it is a wash. Projected loss for Nibali for the 2014 TT would be around two minutes, by my reckoning.

So, the project for Nibali over the rest of the 2014 Tour would be to gain over two minutes on Froome. If he had that, he had a reasonable chance at winning, assuming he could stay with Froome in the mountains.

At the end of stage 5, the cobbled stage which Froome abandoned on, Nibali gained almost two minutes on Porte and Thomas, the highest-placed Sky finishers. Assume that with Froome there, the two could have worked together better, and reduced the gap to a minute. At this point, Nibali has one of the two minutes he needs.

Which means that Nibali still needs to take a minute on Froome in the mountains. At first glance, this seems a little unlikely, but I think a case can be made that Froome's performance over an entire Tour in the mountains is not as dominant as one might think. Admittedly, these would be unusual circumstances, as Froome has not entered the mountains in the Tour with a time deficit on a GT contender, but his history in Tours says that, apart from 2012, he has lost time on at least one mountain stage in each Tour he has ridden since then, and in at least two Tours, he has lost significant time on contenders.

This is balanced by Froome's outstanding performances in single mountain stages, particularly to Ax3 in 2013 and PSM in 2015, where he distanced the field by one to two minutes. But in both of these Tours, he also lost a fair amount of time in a mountain stage or two, to Quintana and Purito in 2013, and Quintana and Nibali in 2015. The point is not so much that Froome had a net time loss in the mountain stages, though he did lose time overall to Quintana in the mountains in 2015, by my calculations, but that he shows a lack of consistency in his performances in the mountain stages. Nibali in 2014 had one stage where he lost time to a contender, stage 8 in which he lost three seconds to Contador.

My point being that there is some history of Froome losing time on individual stages in the mountains in the Tour, and, in 2015, of losing time overall in the mountains, despite an individual performance such as PSM. It would have been a huge ask of Nibali, perhaps, but it was precedented, to some extent, and given the performance Nibali had in 2014, that would have been the year in which he could have put a minute into Froome in the mountains of the Tour. As a biased observer, I think Nibali could have put over a minute into Froome, but perhaps the larger point is that if Froome had not left the race, it could have been a spectacular battle between the two.