• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 536 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So, bib no. 1 for Vuelta. Optimism is rising. Slongo says Nibali is better day by day. The plan could be to hang on the first week, try to be competitive the second and then go loco in the third decisive week.

"We leave without stress. But neither do we go to the Vuelta to get dropped. We try to hold on, all right. Then, if after the first stages we will see that the gap is huge and there are too many stronger riders ... well then also thinking about Innsbruck we will try to go for some stages. At that point it would be useless to accumulate fatigue."

Robert5091 said:
Since there is no real lumpy stages until stage 9 then the first week should not produce large time gaps for the GC guys - barring accidents of course.

The 8k prologue will already make 10 to 15 seconds difference between the GC guys, or more if you're feeling crap.
An both stage 2 and 4 are MTF, albeit stage climb is pretty tame so should not make much difference.

Robert5091 said:
Since there is no real lumpy stages until stage 9 then the first week should not produce large time gaps for the GC guys - barring accidents of course.

It's the Vuelta, there aren't exactly any flat stages. As Valverde said about last year's Vuelta all stages have some climbing as that is Spanish terrain. They just don't want to scare everyone off so they don't tell you about all the small hills that are on the route. He was also laughing at the fact that two stages over his training routes were listed as flat stages and said not only aren't those flat, there are some nice hills in that route.

If he can hang on the first week, then I'm convinced we are gonna see some interesting surprises...

I'm pretty sure his form is getting better very quickly... when he said he felt like Jan, that's just BS!
You stop for 2 weeks when your shape is basically at its best? No way you gonna lose that much.

Koronin said:
Robert5091 said:

It's the Vuelta, there aren't exactly any flat stages. As Valverde said about last year's Vuelta all stages have some climbing as that is Spanish terrain. They just don't want to scare everyone off so they don't tell you about all the small hills that are on the route. He was also laughing at the fact that two stages over his training routes were listed as flat stages and said not only aren't those flat, there are some nice hills in that route.

Yep, the Vuelta's the place that classifys a bridge as a mountain and a steep big hill as nothing. :D

img-20180823-184215.jpg

Interesting short interview today in La Gazzetta:

"I can not win, let's not fool ourselves. I have one kilo more and a few watts less."

"I can not be super right away. I have exactly twenty days of training, I have not been at altitude. I did not prepare the Vuelta, I could not do it. It's like going to school for an exam and not doing your homework. Of course, then maybe you're okay that they ask you those two things you know. Of course, I can lose the kilo in a few stages and I think the watts will arrive. There may be a miracle. The answers I had in training are good, a gradual improvement."

"I come from an important injury. What should I do: try to hold on and maybe finish tenth, or have some fun and thinking of winning a stage? Perhaps the second hypothesis is better."

Q: Tomorrow the finish is at Caminito del Rey and it will still be the second stage, as in 2015. Remember?
"Of course, but this time there is no Shefer." He smiles.

Q: It will be a first taste of the mountains.
"We saw the finish, it's not the same, Sagan wins".

More here: https://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/25-08-2018/nibali-intervista-ciclismo-vuelta-290450506563.shtml

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Interesting short interview today in La Gazzetta:

"I can not win, let's not fool ourselves. I have one kilo more and a few watts less."

"I can not be super right away. I have exactly twenty days of training, I have not been at altitude. I did not prepare the Vuelta, I could not do it. It's like going to school for an exam and not doing your homework. Of course, then maybe you're okay that they ask you those two things you know. Of course, I can lose the kilo in a few stages and I think the watts will arrive. There may be a miracle. The answers I had in training are good, a gradual improvement."

"I come from an important injury. What should I do: try to hold on and maybe finish tenth, or have some fun and thinking of winning a stage? Perhaps the second hypothesis is better."

Q: Tomorrow the finish is at Caminito del Rey and it will still be the second stage, as in 2015. Remember?
"Of course, but this time there is no Shefer." He smiles.

Q: It will be a first taste of the mountains.
"We saw the finish, it's not the same, Sagan wins".

More here: https://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/25-08-2018/nibali-intervista-ciclismo-vuelta-290450506563.shtml
Lo Squalo dello Strettroll :D

He's been saying it all along, he has no form and no one should have any expectations. I'm glad I believed him and kept my expectations Low! Now he can try to gain some form and rhythm and maybe have a go at a stage later in the race without anyone chasing.