• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 537 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Carols said:
He's been saying it all along, he has no form and no one should have any expectations. I'm glad I believed him and kept my expectations Low! Now he can try to gain some form and rhythm and maybe have a go at a stage later in the race without anyone chasing.

Exactly. After everything that happened, it was totally unreasonable to think that he will be able to challenge for the GC. His goal is simply to improve in form for Innsbruck. A stage win would be a nice bonus.

Guys, don't jump so quickly to the wrong conclusion.

Worse than expected does not mean that I was expecting him to win the Vuelta or be a GC contender.
Only that I was not expecting him to get dropped so early into the final climb. In the last 1km, when the attacks would start, definitely yes, but not with 9 k to go. I was expecting him to lose 30s/1 min today, not 4.30. That's it.

It does not make any difference in the end.
He is at the Vuelta to get his form back. Let's hope all goes according to plans.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

huge said:

Worse than expected does not mean that I was expecting him to win the Vuelta or be a GC contender.
Only that I was not expecting him to get dropped so early into the final climb. In the last 1km, when the attacks would start, definitely yes, but not with 9 k to go. I was expecting him to lose 30s/1 min today, not 4.30. That's it.

He is at the Vuelta to get his form back. Let's hope all goes according to plans.
lost 4.04
rode in alongside Iván Garcia and Franco. He's doing what he said he would, so all is going according to plan.

Re:

huge said:

It was a very vicious pace when Sky took over at about 10 km to go, not quite suitable for his preparation. Dropped at about 8km then with Delfino they almost made contact but in front there was some supersonic speed so he had to let it go. I said yesterday after the not-so-bad TT that if he survives today he might get some ideas. He didn't so all is in line with the initial plan, proper race training and hopefully a stage win in the last week.

Another day of training.

img-20180901-200502.jpg

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Nibali doing work for sprinters but not for climbers lol

He might get carried away and drop Ion. To be honest I was a bit depressed on Sunday, still waiting for signs when the road goes up.

I don't think he wasn't able to do any better on Sun. I think he is really measuring himself these days. Probably sticking to a very detailed "training" schedule as planned by Slongo... at least I hope :D

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Tomorrow is an obvious break day and he should really contest that one. Stage suits him pretty good, long and lumpy all day. He should show some signs in this week.

Tomorrow probably too early. Looks like a good day to test his legs in rolling terrain within the bunch.

If the shape is building, he probably has stage 14 and/or 17 marked in his schedule.

Re:

Laplaz said:
Padun was in the right move and he not, so chasing had no reason. Don't know about his legs today tough.

I'd say he doesn't have yet the winning legs but don't think he could've made a difference, in the end it came down to a sprint. Good training day though, I think only next week we'll see something exciting, hopefully.

On another note Marca asked him a few days ago if Valverde will be the most dangerous in Innsbruck and, interestingly he gave three names: Mohoric, Alaphilippe and Roglic and of course Valverde being a very good rider.