• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 572 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Nibali's 2012 is one of the more underrated seasons in the last decade of cycling imo.

Or in your case, overrated. He won Tirreno. That's pretty much it.
giphy.gif

Gigs_98 said:
As expected good but not great. Wish he had tried something on la redoute but it probably wouldn't have changed anything either.

I think his problem today was the lack of distance in his legs.
Stages at the ToA were quite short. Usually around 4 hours of racing.
Today it was much longer and he paid for it, as he was fully expecting.

He is in very good shape, and for that reason he managed to stay with the front group.
But he lacked that extra bit of energy necessary to follow attacks in the final kms.

huge said:
Gigs_98 said:
As expected good but not great. Wish he had tried something on la redoute but it probably wouldn't have changed anything either.

I think his problem today was the lack of distance in his legs.
Stages at the ToA were quite short. Usually around 4 hours of racing.
Today it was much longer and he paid for it, as he was fully expecting.

That's what he said in the interview as well.
Anyway excellent signals for the Giro, I think he'll fight for the win.

Re:

Red Rick said:
He was alright compared to Dumoulin

If he fully focuses on this race, I can win it, but nothing could be done about Fuglsang today.
I'd argue Nibali in top shape should be able to do exactly what Fuglsang did today, I just don't know if we'll ever see Nibali peaking for this race.
Edit: Quite likely he would have won this race in 2012 if it had already been on the new route.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Did Nibali drop the whole peloton on RaF in 2012? I would argue he wouldn't be able to do what Fuglsang did today in peak shape either.
Whittled it down to like 5 dudes, then attacked the 'descent' got a gap and extended it to like 40s on the false flat afterwards.

Then melted down on the Saint Nicolas/Ans combo.

Damn you people. I was so determined not to turn into a salt mine today

I may be mistaken on this, but I think Nibali in 2019 and Kwiatkovski in 2017 are the only two riders in the last five years to get top tens in both Milan San Remo and Liege-Bastogne-Liege in the same season. Not really anything more than trivia, but interesting to me nonetheless.
Further back, though, Nibali did it in 2012, in 2011, Nibali, Gilbert, and Van Avermaet all three did it, and in 2010 Gilbert did it. So, it is not exactly unknown, but in the last ten seasons, only four riders have done it, and only two have done it more than once, and no one has done it as often as Nibali.

Re:

Summoned said:
I may be mistaken on this, but I think Nibali in 2019 and Kwiatkovski in 2017 are the only two riders in the last five years to get top tens in both Milan San Remo and Liege-Bastogne-Liege in the same season. Not really anything more than trivia, but interesting to me nonetheless.
Further back, though, Nibali did it in 2012, in 2011, Nibali, Gilbert, and Van Avermaet all three did it, and in 2010 Gilbert did it. So, it is not exactly unknown, but in the last ten seasons, only four riders have done it, and only two have done it more than once, and no one has done it as often as Nibali.

TRENDING THREADS