• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 584 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

silvergrenade said:
https://twitter.com/AlexandreMignot/status/1132206582832476160
https://twitter.com/petercossins/status/1132193995910713344

After criticising Simon Yates for not showing respect to his rivals for the Briton's pre-Giro comments, Vincenzo Nibali refused to shake Primo Roglic's hand and instead gave his rival 'the finger' after yesterday's stage reports @lequipe #classy

Some would call it classless
giphy.gif

Gigs_98 said:
laughingcavalier said:
Vincenzo Zubeldia?
That's a bit harsh. He tried but just wasn't strong enough. Considering how Roglic looked I still think though he should have tried a bit harder.
Now it will be super hard to win. Of course Carapaz is a bit of an unknown but if he keeps riding like today, it will be very tough to catch him.
You are always very fast with announcing races to be over... ;) Carapaz ain't Sky/Ineos though, so everything is still possible.. If Vincenzo finds his best legs in the 3rd that is. He is solid and composed right now, and at one point it looked it looked like he was about to close down Carapaz but Roglic refused to take over. Still not quite on the level of the Ecuadorian and Landa.
Lets hope for miracles on top of Passo Gavia these next days.

Today it went from "he is about to blow" to "he should have dropped Roglic (and all the others in the process)". The reality is he finished third and until now there's only one stronger climber than him in the race and 2 who are around his level while this was the second real mountain stage. He is very much in the mix, very consistent and strong enough to go all the way. I am still optimistic for the overall, just that now there's another one in competition. If it has to be Manghen, so be it. Anyway, I think Roglic lost the Giro today.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
He's good. But not good enough.

Good enough to perform one the best sprints of his career at the end.
I remember when he beat Valverde (Valverde just kinda forgot about 3rd place) and then got dropped on the Valparola the next day :(

Nibali was very clearly the least dead of that group. I hope he sends teammates in the break and attacks on the descent of the Sormano tomorrow.

Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:

I remember when he beat Valverde (Valverde just kinda forgot about 3rd place) and then got dropped on the Valparola the next day :(

Nibali was very clearly the least dead of that group. I hope he sends teammates in the break and attacks on the descent of the Sormano tomorrow.

We kind of forgot that today's stage was short and soft pedaled almost all the way until the big climb, not quite his speciality though he performed really well.

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:

We kind of forgot that today's stage was short and soft pedaled almost all the way until the big climb, not quite his speciality though he performed really well.
Mortirolo is gonna raced absolutely brutally before hand with Aprica and ***. Almost 2 minutes behind a climber with a better team.

It doesn't look good for the win.

Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:

Mortirolo is gonna raced absolutely brutally before hand with Aprica and ****. Almost 2 minutes behind a climber with a better team.

It doesn't look good for the win.

Carapaz lost almost 2 minutes on Zoncolan to Yates. Besides, Landa wants also to win this Giro.

Re:

Oliver said:
I really thought he has superb legs but after those 2 days, I don't know anymore. Is he really better then this? I'm dissapointed.

He is fine, just don't expect Hautacam again because then you will be disappointed. From the gazillion favorites who were placed before him from the "experts" at the beginning there's only one left plus an outsider. He is consistent day in day out and there's still a long road to Verona. Sure that Gavia out is a blow but the chances to win are still intact. From what I have seen until now he didn't make an all out effort, something like drop them or die in the process, I think he still has resources and he knows how to pace his efforts. I'm not sure Roglic has and the situation he got himself into will require a lot of resources. As for the Movistars, I'm sure Landa still dreams to win the Giro and the situation got more complex. I am fairly optimistic but we'll understand more after tomorrow and the castrated Mortirorlo stage.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
I don't believe Landa will jeopordize a pink jersey for Carapaz.
Like, he won't still be attempting to win or he will try to defend it?
Realistically?

I think he'll be told to do the pacemaking for Carapaz on the Mortirolo. They'll try to have other Movi's in the break over the Mortirolo, although that plan is quite unrealistic imo.

I don't think there are many scenario's where Landa being tactical leverage is more important than him doing pure domestique work for Carapaz. IMO Carapaz only needs to drop Roglic on the Mortirolo to set himself up for a Giro win. Landa needs 3 minutes on Roglic without dragging Nibali along.

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
I don't believe Landa will jeopordize a pink jersey for Carapaz.

I do. It's his last year with Movistar and he is a volatile character.
He whined and moaned about Aru, but in the end he sat pretty, gave up his 2nd spot in GC and later helped him win the Vuelta

He whined and moaned about Froome, but in the end he sat pretty and pretty much lost the Tour podium for Froome so Froome could have 0.1% less chance of losing the Tour

Hmmm wasnt able to watch the stage so i only watched highlights but from what i saw nibs looked pretty good. He s gonna keep on trying without spending too much energy until his only choice will be all or nothing.
It s possible as other people noted that this giro will go to an outsider who takes it all but frankly i dont care, im happy nibs is up there with the best of them. I was scared shitless after that fall in the tdf that he would never be the same again. At 34 and a half he s still the one who puts fear in his competitors so it s all good. Kinda funny how all dutch and british people whine and moan about nibs but in the end he s the one they love tio hate and even they will miss him when he s retired. His comment about his trophies was really funny and i m sure he made the right rtactical decision because lets be honest here they decided within jumbo visa to just follow nibali and thats it. The shark aint having none of it and does what he has to do to let the others return in the game.
Roglic wants to conserve energy... nibs wants him to consume it. All perfectly normal and understandable Swap roglic with quintana and its the giro 17 all over again. Dumo won because nibs and quintana neutralized each other and also because of jungels who thinks he s a real gt contender.
To all the nibali haters face it nibs won....rogoic is now working and riding like he supposed to.