• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 583 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
SafeBet said:
What he said about Roglic wasn't meant as a joke. He was upset, mostly because he knows he made mistakes and/or didn't have the legs to be in the right moves. He doesn't really have a team to force a selection and that's what he needs at this point of his career. That's why I said that Bernal's injury would be detrimental for Nibali's chances in this Giro. Nibali has been seen by some as an anti-Sky icon in the past but he's actually one of the riders who benefits the most from their approach to races (when in form at least).
He can push those 400 watts forever.

I don't know what the plan for today was. If he doesn't want to be the one closing every attack there's a simple way to do it: be in the attack.

To me, this is a 4 men race: Nibs, Rogla and the Movi duo. I don't trust any other rider to be as consistent over three weeks. Can he use Carapaz or Landa's attacks to drop Roglic?

Yes, he wasn't too happy. It all began when he made a test move and was closed down by Majka and Carapaz, Roglic was on their wheel. Then Majka went and soon Carapaz. He looked at Roglic who had no reaction and he did the same, whether he couldn't follow or we was unwilling. When Carapaz was gone Roglic started pacing and the duo was formed leaving him in a potentially dangerous position.

What if Roglic is stronger and he'll get dropped, it was a direct confrontation. He attacked him once and Roglic did the same later with no consequences hence his remark afterwards that they are equal for now.

So, clearly not in Hautacam mode, managed his direct rival but the race situation put him in a more delicate situation. Today is a big day.
Hautacam was so funny. It was literally the leader's jersey attacking and everyone letting him go cause he was not relevant for their GC :lol:

Blanco said:
chiocciolis_calves said:
He should be able to work over Roglic by the last weekend, but we'll see.

Yeah, I think he will, but I also think someone will work over him in the process if he keeps riding like this

There were only 2 mountain stages until now, which feel like there were half a dozen due to Astana and Movistar. I'm sure when there's an opportunity and the legs respond, Nibali will move. On the other hand Roglic has his hands full and no team whatsoever.

Rollthedice said:
Blanco said:
chiocciolis_calves said:

Yeah, I think he will, but I also think someone will work over him in the process if he keeps riding like this

There were only 2 mountain stages until now, which feel like there were half a dozen due to Astana and Movistar. I'm sure when there's an opportunity and the legs respond, Nibali will move. On the other hand Roglic has his hands full and no team whatsoever.
Gavia should be absolute madness with the current teams and standings. Actually if it rains today Antonio should get his magical 50W extra

Rollthedice said:
Blanco said:
chiocciolis_calves said:

I don't think he's in the better position than Roglic. Roglic will may have big problems with Zaka, Movistars and Majka, but Nibali will have even bigger. He's not hands down the strongest rider here, to let easily in contention riders like them.

Its obvious what Nibali is upset about..He feels if he attacks Roglic will chase him down but if anyone else attacks Roglic wont chase ..ie he is a marked man by Roglic

Looked that way yesterday ...Both Roglic and Nibali were better than they looked but Roglic did not want to move and Nibali couldn't without being chased.

Hence his remark that Roglic would lose the Giro is he continued to ride like this

And another thing by neither riding they made the others look stronger than they probably are

What amuses me so much about pundits on here is they make such massive claims about form and performance by looking at a narrow view from one day and not the full picture .Do people honestly think that Nibali & Roglic got bad all of a sudden ? ha ha ha

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Its obvious what Nibali is upset about..He feels if he attacks Roglic will chase him down but if anyone else attacks Roglic wont chase ..ie he is a marked man by Roglic

Looked that way yesterday ...Both Roglic and Nibali were better than they looked but Roglic did not want to move and Nibali couldn't without being chased.

Hence his remark that Roglic would lose the Giro is he continued to ride like this

And another thing by neither riding they made the others look stronger than they probably are

What amuses me so much about pundits on here is they make such massive claims about form and performance by looking at a narrow view from one day and not the full picture .Do people honestly think that Nibali & Roglic got bad all of a sudden ? ha ha ha

No I don't think they got bad, but I also didn't think they will be the strongest uphill anyway.

What amuses me so much about pundits on here is they make such massive claims about form and performance by looking at a narrow view from one day and not the full picture .Do people honestly think that Nibali & Roglic go bad all of a sudden ? ha ha ha

Landa faded in the end and had some help until some point, Zaka was in the break all day, not sure how much energy he spent but nevertheless he was going like a rocket in the end and Carapaz put out some insane numbers. In a normal race situation with all together including Nibs and Rogl riding at 400W until there's a reasonable distance to the finish in order for an attack to make sense, it's impossible to predict who could've take more time on who but the aforementioned trio did look stronger yesterday. Question is if they can keep it up day in day out.

Some bad news, hopefully he will move today, not ideal but then it will be only the penultimate stage left. From CN:

According to Saturday’s La Gazzetta dello Sport, Vegni is far less optimistic now and could soon confirm the cutting of the Gavia from stage 16 and reveal a new, shorter stage with just the Passo del Mortirolo as the major climb of the day. Snow and freezing temperatures are also forecast for Tuesday.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
https://twitter.com/AlexandreMignot/status/1132206582832476160
https://twitter.com/petercossins/status/1132193995910713344

After criticising Simon Yates for not showing respect to his rivals for the Briton's pre-Giro comments, Vincenzo Nibali refused to shake Primo Roglic's hand and instead gave his rival 'the finger' after yesterday's stage reports @lequipe #classy

Some would call it classless

This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Wiggo saying on ES that Nibali is playing with Roglic...,eyeing him up and will attack next week
Said he has been on the receiving end of Nibali tactics on climbs for example Nibali taking a big breath then riding up near you and looking like he is not even breathing heavy ..Thinks Nibali has the legs but is just playing ??

Seems to be in a better mood today. Notice Roglic already plotting with his compatriot in Bahrain colors.

D7aGyt9X4AAn1eS.jpg

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Wiggo saying on ES that Nibali is playing with Roglic...,eyeing him up and will attack next week
Said he has been on the receiving end of Nibali tactics on climbs for example Nibali taking a big breath then riding up near you and looking like he is not even breathing heavy ..Thinks Nibali has the legs but is just playing ??

Devious shark. I would call this "evaluating" rather than "playing". He saw that Rogl is tough as nails, couldn't do more yesterday and is a bit worried hence the reaction afterwards. But hey, it's a new day today.

Re:

HelloDolly said:

Maybe years ago when He was a lot younger He could that but not now. Don't be surprised if it's Roglic doing the riding away next week.

laughingcavalier said:
Vincenzo Zubeldia?
That's a bit harsh. He tried but just wasn't strong enough. Considering how Roglic looked I still think though he should have tried a bit harder.
Now it will be super hard to win. Of course Carapaz is a bit of an unknown but if he keeps riding like today, it will be very tough to catch him.