• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vino attacks everyone said:
Astana is almost an italian team :rolleyes:

pastronef said:
Astana Team is more Italian than it would seem. italian riders and directors, and many of the kazakhs speak italian or have lived there

I wasn't talking about the language, it's cultural - it's no place like home for some riders. He's not Pinotti.
Btw, did you notice Vino's Italian fluency in the Giro? :D

pastronef said:
sorry is it's a bit off topic

but if Liquigas will leave the sport after theis 2012 season, where will Sagan go?

please remember that Geox is a sponsor without any luck. They finished it after last year's Vuelta, they are bound to fail. Peter stay away from them and their ugly jersey design.

OPQS I hope

Sagan has re-signed with Amadio for next season and beyond. The only way he could leave is if a sponsor isn't found and the team folds.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Gilbert, Evans ( ? ), Hushovd ( 2.5 ), Cav ( 2.1 ), Contador.

I guess Cancellara and Schlecks too but I don't have their numbers. Astana is well rich though and afford it, 3rd richest team in pro peleton after BMC and Katusha ( altough their tranfers usually suck and their riders are overpaid ). The comes GreenEdge ( with new sponsor Orica ) and OPQS. Sky and Movistar are about same position in terms of budget.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
VeloNation just reported that Nibali has signed with Astana for 2.8 million Euro, unofficially.

Not surprising given that Astana needs a high profile GC rider after Vino leaves.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Contador makes 5 million Euro a year.

Well, I figured Contador was making more than that, but I just wanted some perspective where does 2.8 million put him - I'm guessing right around Schleck/Evans/Cav area?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Michele said:
Agnoli during an interview before the Giro said that he was waiting for Nibali to sign and then he would decide.
So it sounds like he's 99% following Nibali.

I wonder he'll leave Astana. Brajkovic should as he'll get even less opportunities than now. I guess he could be coming to RSNT if Fugslang goes to Saxo.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
Vinokourov should retire after this year and if only Fuglsang left there really won't be many more oportunities at shack.

Yea indeed, it's just Bruynell worked with Janez and might want to see him back I guess.

And it's not like Vino lead any races this year too.

Gloin22 said:
Yea indeed, it's just Bruynell worked with Janez and might want to see him back I guess.

And it's not like Vino lead any races this year too.

Bruyneel working with Brajkovic is just about the only argument. From a sporting perspective Machado and Monfort are not worse over 1 week.

And Vinokourov might still get in the way in the Tour.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Jonathan Vaughters ‏
@fmk_RoI if I were Liquigas, Nibali would not be going to the Tour. Sorry. Why would any team invest in a guy that is one foot out the door?

Well, considering they've pretty much used up all their climbers in the Giro, who else would they send? Or just bail on GC all-together? That wouldn't really make sense. A win in the team colors is a win in team colors, no matter where the rider's going to end up next year, great for the sponsors too.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Jonathan Vaughters ‏
@fmk_RoI if I were Liquigas, Nibali would not be going to the Tour. Sorry. Why would any team invest in a guy that is one foot out the door?

never liked JV and I don't agree with him here, you have a rider who could podium, top 5 whatever, why wouldn't you send him? it would be good for your team, your sponsors, who else you sending?_?

edit: plus Nibali is 26/27 years old, who says they won't want him back in a couple of years?

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
that explains the entire nonsense with Hushov during last year's Vuelta: He was going to BMC so JV told him to fvck off..... nice;)

Yeah nice, sets a really good example for any Garmin rider with a contract up at the end of the year :rolleyes:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
JV is an idiot judging from this twitter
Zam_Olyas said:
Jonathan Vaughters ‏

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
Well, considering they've pretty much used up all their climbers in the Giro, who else would they send? Or just bail on GC all-together? That wouldn't really make sense. A win in the team colors is a win in team colors, no matter where the rider's going to end up next year, great for the sponsors too.

Well I can easily see Sagan getting double as many wins with Nibali not being there.