• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vino attacks everyone said:
Astana = awesome

Nibali rides for Astana

Nibali = awesome

this is easy math ;)

Contador 08-10 = super awesome
Contador 11-13 = funny to watch, but meh... :p

Astana = awesome

Nibali rides for Astana

Nibali = awesome

this is easy math ;)

Contador 08-10 = super awesome
Contador 11-13 = funny to watch, but meh... :p
Watch and learn la florecita and miburo.

Now heres a fan who has every reason to be angry and hate the sport and start attacking every rider they can think of. His favourite rider only won 1 gt. He was out for the sport during his peak years. He was spat on. He retired three times. His quests for glory ended in gt ending crashes.

But does the poster quiver? Does he cry. Does he break chairs in anger?

No he makes jokes, stays patient, continues to fan the rider into managment, and now hes on the brink of watching his new favourite rider, bring home a gt.

Patience, its a virtue.

Nibali is the most aggressive 1 week stage racer we have
Nibali is very aggressive, but I think Carlos Alberto Betancur Gómez is the real new Vino.

The Hitch said:
Watch and learn la florecita and mibiuro.

Now heres a fan who has every reason to be angry and hate the sport and start attacking every rider they can think of. His favourite rider only won 1 gt. He was out for the sport during his peak years. He was spat on. He retired three times. His quests for glory ended in gt ending crashes.

No he makes jokes, stays patience, continues to fan the rider into managment, and now hes on the brink of watching his new favourite rider, bring home a gt.

Patience, its a virtue.

Nibali is very aggressive, but I think Carlos Alberto Betancur Gómez is the real new Vino.

Wow, thanks :p

Betancur needs more watts for the flat parts after an attack in the mountains/hills. He can't win no champs elysees with those small legs :D

The Hitch said:
You 2 are thinking short when you should be thinking long. Almost all Contador fans on this forum are also Nibali fans. Trying to jam a wedge between the 2 is stupid and just gonna get a bunch of nibali fans to like Contador less.

From a personal pov, do I need Nibali fans to like Alberto? No.

Which is gonna hurt you 2 quite a bit come july. Why start a civil war in May when there are legions of July only fans getting ready to make hell the internet lives of Contador fans, during the summer.

What :confused: who cares. What are Nibali fans going to do to stop july fans from making my life a hell :confused:

I dont know what you 2 can possibly have against nibali.

He annoys me

hes never trash talked contador or anything.

So? He hasn't been that friendly either.

Hes not a ****er.

So?

Hes not a rival.

Of course he is

The fans may overrate him a little and one is an obvious troll,

True that

but they are not that bad

Perhaps

and they dont pose a threat to Contador.

what? Why would fans pose a threat?

This is like the time you said "no you must look at it the other way, they are all positive towards Alberto" or something like that when I said I didn't like the new mods. Not everything i do and think is about Alberto :rolleyes:

The Hitch said:
Watch and learn la florecita and miburo.

No he makes jokes, stays patient, continues to fan the rider into managment, and now hes on the brink of watching his new favourite rider, bring home a gt.

Patience, its a virtue.

I really have no idea what you're saying :eek: I have to be patient? For what, the moment Majka wins a race? I don't understand it.

By the way I think Alberto fans have just as much right to be angry and hate the sport

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Betancur is the new Purito IMO...

Vino always won by combining talent with pure aggressiveness, determination and some other things which distinguish his unique character and abilities from all others'. Betancur is not like him, he's got much more raw talent than Vino, but he's obviously not very tactically able. Nibali comes much closer to matching the Kazakh.

Pentacycle said:
Spilak IMO is on his way to becoming the most attacking rider in those races.

And so far I haven't seen any succesfull attack from Nibali in the Giro, every one of his attempts to gain time has failed. The 'control' was there in the TT, Betancur and Uran however were free to go in the mountains.

Exactly, I wasn't sure if Nibali had successfully attacked this race so I asked and it turns out he didn't. I think it's a shame he can't attack on mtfs like he can on descents. He would be more exciting.

Pentacycle said:
Betancur is the new Purito IMO...

Betancur has attacked more in the last month than Purito has in the last 2 seasons:eek:

LaFlorecita said:
I really have no idea what you're saying :eek: I have to be patient?

Just calm down. Anger is overrated, and often does damage which you later regret.

Yes you will be better off in july if there are a lot of other contador fans to take up his case.

LaFlorecita said:
Exactly, I wasn't sure if Nibali had successfully attacked this race so I asked and it turns out he didn't. I think it's a shame he can't attack on mtfs like he can on descents. He would be more exciting.

He is not the best climber in the world, and he knows his limitations.
the high mountain attacks are for AC (And we can all see how effective this has been lately), Nibali takes the hard ardennes ike stages ( and we can see how effective THIS has been lately) ;)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Damn, all these posts.... I think some people overrate nibali a bit, is that so wrong? ;)

And yeah Froome will destroy nibali in a GT. Even the giro. Froome would still destroy him. For the record if Contador doesn't have the giro 2011 form he will get destroyed too by Froome.

Froome had a bad day in a week stage race. So what? Happens to everybody.

Is Nibali's performance right now in the giro really that good?

His ITT was amazing, his climbing is good, wouldn't go further than that.

I wonder how good nibali is compared to purito and valverde? That's an interesting question.

I just don't think it's that impressive that nibali can't ride away from a guy who was a dom for Contador last year in the vuelta. And it's not that he was the only guy left.

Has nibali proven consistency in the giro? We'll see in 10 days.

I hope he wins since he destroyed Froome in T-A. Something that can only be appreciated since it will happen only a few times :D

Miburo said:
Damn, all these posts.... I think some people overrate nibali a bit, is that so wrong? ;)

And yeah Froome will destroy nibali in a GT. Even the giro. Froome would still destroy him. For the record if Contador doesn't have the giro 2011 form he will get destroyed too by Froome.

Froome had a bad day in a week stage race. So what? Happens to everybody.

Is Nibali's performance right now in the giro really that good?

His ITT was amazing, his climbing is good, wouldn't go further than that.

I wonder how good nibali is compared to purito and valverde? That's an interesting question.

I just don't think it's that impressive that nibali can't ride away from a guy who was a dom for Contador last year in the vuelta. And it's not that he was the only guy left.

Has nibali proven consistency in the giro? We'll see in 10 days.

I hope he wins since he destroyed Froome in T-A. Something that can only be appreciated since it will happen only a few times :D

:facepalm:

Seriously learn to read a bike race.

Or don't you think Landis could've ridden away from Bottle and Menchov on the first mtf in '06?

He is not the best climber in the world, and he knows his limitations.
the high mountain attacks are for AC (And we can all see how effective this has been lately), Nibali takes the hard ardennes ike stages ( and we can see how effective THIS has been lately) ;)

Very effective indeed because he gets crushed by Froome in the high mountains

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Betancur has attacked more in the last month than Purito has in the last 2 seasons:eek:

Agreed, Betancur takes way more risks than Purito who doesn't attack much, but then again he doesn't have as much expectations and pressure from his team. Pozzovivo is still the leader for AG2R in this Giro.

But the way Betancur attacks impresses me a lot and in a few years he could already be matching Purito's palmares and other performances, which I don't mind at all. I like both.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
:facepalm:

Seriously learn to read a bike race.

Or don't you think Landis could've ridden away from Bottle and Menchov on the first mtf in '06?

Oh so Nibali on purpose didn't gain time on the tour winner of 2011 who is still very close. And didn't try to get closer on one of the skyborgs.

True that.

Landis and tactics? Yea he's a brilliant man. Especially lelangue.

So wait if i get this right. Nibali could have ridden away but didn't do it cause he didn't want to have a bigger lead, right?

That makes sense, thanks.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
You're telling me netserk that nibali on purpose didn't try and get away for what reason?

He already has the jersey. Evans is still close, extend your lead is maybe a good idea?

Look what happened with andy in 2010. If he attacked earlier on morzine he might have really won on the tour.

I think these tactics are ***. If you feel better and you've the jersey with only 2 km orso left and a tour winner is still on your wheel not much behind in GC AND YOU DON'T ATTACK??

I don't get it.

Edit: Nibali is known to get a less day so having a buffer is a good idea.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Can't help but think about how many people on this thread need to fill this out sooner or later:

butthurt%20report%20form-thumb-560x517.jpg

The Hitch said:
Just calm down. Anger is overrated, and often does damage which you later regret.

Yes you will be better off in july if there are a lot of other contador fans to take up his case.

That's just how I roll lol :D I am calm actually and not angry either. Just annoyed.

I don't see how "lots of other contador fans to take up his case" will help him or me.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
I can see you still haven't answered the question....

Will it ever happen?

How the **** should i know?

Ask landis. Even then he can say whatever he wants, he didn't do it and that's what counts.

Now will you reply to my comment :eek:

The first mtf will most often be contested tactically. Yes I think Nibali could've distanced Evans there. It was more about measuring his form against the others. When you know you are the strongest and are in the lead, you don't need to use energy attacking on the first mtf. It's better for him to have more energy in reserve (compared to the others).

TRENDING THREADS