• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 636 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
When France was pushing in the penultimate lap and reducing the bunch to 50 or so.. I was think this is already better than Innsbruck ;)

Top end not quite there admittedly, but Etna is a very different effort, he should be fine. Most muro stages are a bit later into the race, after today I'm hopeful that he'll be able to follow Yates and Fuglsang there.

He looks good for Il Giro. I hope he wins it. I can't believe how he gets underrated by many before the GTs in last couple of years. The bookies have him 5th favourite behind Kruijswijk and Fuglsang...wtf?! Hasn't he done enough in the past that shows he is always the favourite (or top 2-3 at least) in the Giro. Well he certainly isn't underrated on this forum at least lol

He looks good for Il Giro. I hope he wins it. I can't believe how he gets underrated by many before the GTs in last couple of years. The bookies have him 5th favourite behind Kruijswijk and Fuglsang...wtf?! Hasn't he done enough in the past that shows he is always the favourite (or top 2-3 at least) in the Giro. Well he certainly isn't underrated on this forum at least lol
Betting Nibali and laying Kruijswijk is literally free money.

Jut after the race:

"Already in the previous days I knew that the last climb (Gallisterna, ed.) was not suitable for me. So I tried on the penultimate ascent and we left in four: there were Landa, Uran, and van Aert who didn't collaborate. Then everything got mixed up and the final slopes rewarded more explosive riders.

As far as I was concerned, it was the first time I felt good. Up until ten days ago everything was a question mark. With the teammates we were planning to do an attack race, but from the beginning the pace was high. It was difficult to try it from a distance, as Pogacar did".

flat_550x550_075_f.u6_300x300.jpg

Just wait until he'll be dropped by 20/30 riders in Agrigento or Etna like he often does in 140/150 kms long murito/unipuerto stages and this thread will be filled by panic madness again.
Thing it will be more like
"I don't really get why all of you are panicking, I think so far this is mostly going to plan. Yeah losing two minutes to Thomas on the first mtf looks bad on the surface but you have to look beyond the result sheet. Thomas originally planned to peak for the Tour, he misstimed his peak a bit, so he was in top shape from Tirreno Adriatico till now. There is no way he can keep this up till the third week which is where Nibali will be thriving. His shape is on a clear upwards trend and the way it looks he will be in perfect shape in week three which is where it really matters. Would you really rather be in top shape in that easy ass first week or on the Stelvio and the Agnello? There, the time gaps will be even bigger than here. Also, Thomas wasn't even that good himself. I mean he lost another two minutes to Yates and Fuglsang and any rational person knows they won't be able to keep it together for three weeks. Chill people. Everything going according to plan"

TRENDING THREADS