• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 635 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why are you all such Nibali-fans? And how many of you are there (that is here)?
Millions I think...he's a rider who can ride a bike and race a bike. Bots may ride a bike, others race for them by using radio communication and building super teams. Nibali never had that, really, he is a throwback to the glorious era of cycling, from after WW2 to the mid-80s, when one rider could slam his fist on the table and shake things up.

The best/worst, heal/hurt thread shows how few just look at the big picture for the '14 Tour (Froome, Contador DNF) but forget how he destroyed the script in Sheffield and on the cobbled stage. We just argued about 57 seconds in '20 when Il Squalo had put two and a half minutes on his foes. Really?

That's greatness. He beat them before the race even started...Sun Tzu...but yes, Carapaz thanks him for a bad gamble. That shouldn't take anything away from his triumph in '14.

Vincenzo Nibali can win one-day races, he has won plenty and some of the big ones. Multiple times. A monument win is the ultimate proof of a rider being good at racing a bike. No "live to fight another day" like in the stage races: today is the day.

Let's make a list of GT winners who won a monument, or two, or more....

Millions I think...he's a rider who can ride a bike and race a bike. Bots may ride a bike, others race for them by using radio communication and building super teams. Nibali never had that, really, he is a throwback to the glorious era of cycling, from after WW2 to the mid-80s, when one rider could slam his fist on the table and shake things up.

The best/worst, heal/hurt thread shows how few just look at the big picture for the '14 Tour (Froome, Contador DNF) but forget how he destroyed the script in Sheffield and on the cobbled stage. We just argued about 57 seconds in '20 when Il Squalo had put two and a half minutes on his foes. Really?

That's greatness. He beat them before the race even started...Sun Tzu...but yes, Carapaz thanks him for a bad gamble. That shouldn't take anything away from his triumph in '14.

Vincenzo Nibali can win one-day races, he has won plenty and some of the big ones. Multiple times. A monument win is the ultimate proof of a rider being good at racing a bike. No "live to fight another day" like in the stage races: today is the day.

Let's make a list of GT winners who won a monument, or two, or more....

My two biggest memories of the 2014 Tour are the cobbled stage being great, and then Contador's broken leg. Just after that is the ITT that shuffled the final podium. This is why I haven't and like won't vote either way on that Tour in the GT thread.

Now for what I put in bold. Are we talking about in the current peloton or at least of the past 15 or so years? If that's the case we have Nibali and Valverde. They are the throw backs in this age of specialization.

Reactions: Tonton
ETyxUQTXsAQFyEV

It's his trophy cabinet!!

• Wow
Reactions: Tonton and SafeBet
Carols is Red Rick?!

I am not. I'm such an outsider. :(

Nah. She hates Richie Porte. He has warmed to him, at least fractionally.

Hmmm...I am not as big a Nibali fan as many of these guys, but here are some words/terms that can be related to the great man:

Rain
Voodoo
Sticky bottle
Trophy cabinet
Shark (obviously)
Mythical third week
DESCENDING
Sprinting :laughing:

Nibali is talented, has balls and a personality. Like Sagan (who's a toned down cycling version of Ibrahimovic).
You have talented and ballsy riders, whom have a winner personality (like Froome or Contador),. There are also talented riders who have a rather distinctive personality (like Dumoulin, or even Evans on his day).

Then you have plenty of talented riders that are rather anonymous like drones (Porte, or Quintana are coming to my mind).

Evenepoel and Pogacar are looking like riders that belong to the first class I mentioned and that's cool. Cycling needs to have distinctive personalities that can do and say the unpredictable.

Reactions: Tonton
Why are you all such Nibali-fans? And how many of you are there (that is here)?

Let's just say this guy has brought us incredible emotions for a decade. From his early days in Liquigas until today Vincenzo has lbeen making us enjoy cycling more thanks to his aggressive riding.I went to Milan in 2017 to watch the final Giro stage mostly because of him. The guy has treated us like very few other cyclists from this generation. It's only natural that he'd earn such appreciation from cycling fans.

Nah. She hates Richie Porte. He has warmed to him, at least fractionally.

Hmmm...I am not as big a Nibali fan as many of these guys, but here are some words/terms that can be related to the great man:

Rain
Voodoo
Sticky bottle
Trophy cabinet
Shark (obviously)
Mythical third week
DESCENDING
Sprinting :laughing:
Knowing how to ride his bike
Breaking collarbones in descent is just part of the strategy sometimes
Paying for my kebab in my dream

Reactions: Tonton and Carols