• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 704 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hard to get excited really. Couldn't really live with most of the break.

I'm sure he'll go for it again and who knows, third week and all, but it feels the legs aren't close to good enough unless his breakaway companions are really weak.

Probably owes Ciccone a proper dom effort tbh - there's still the chance of a podium available to him if they get it right.

Hard to get excited really. Couldn't really live with most of the break.

I'm sure he'll go for it again and who knows, third week and all, but it feels the legs aren't close to good enough unless his breakaway companions are really weak.
Maybe this is wishful thinking, but on Passo Giau it didn't look like he was completely cooked and done when Formolo and Pedrero were going up the road. Maybe, just maybe he could have been close enough to take time back on the descent. Of course it didn't matter in the end and he probably sat up when he knew the GC group was taking over the race.

Well, zero hype for Nibali's attempt? He probably wasn't going to win even if the GC group had slept behind them, but he is showing his heart (if not his legs). Chances for another break?
I love Nibs, but my thoughts during his raid today were that if this one doesn't stick, he's probably done as far as GTs.

He had a teammate, strong break companions, the stage was short and ended in a 20 km descent. Perfect conditions, in other words, but he just didn't have enough in his legs.

I love Nibs, but my thoughts during his raid today were that if this one doesn't stick, he's probably done as far as GTs.

He had a teammate, strong break companions, the stage was short and ended in a 20 km descent. Perfect conditions, in other words, but he just didn't have enough in his legs.
You forget his injuries and EF pacing like madmen behind. Also his breakaway companions were nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Sandisfan
All the circumstances made it impossible to have a great performance today. I had expected him to either DNS, DNF or finish in the grupetto, so I think he showed a lot of heart today. I would also guess that when he got caught by the peloton he just kinda stopped pushing full gas

Zonc legs the lighter version today. Maybe they'll just go away, there's still some stages left, one can only hope. Sure he got dropped at some point and then stopped when caught but he did manage to get in the break and, together with a small group, make a selection uphill and downhill on a fairly large group.

Is he finished at the highest level? I think it's still a "work in progress". As they say let's take it "day by day".

Zonc legs the lighter version today. Maybe they'll just go away, there's still some stages left, one can only hope. Sure he got dropped at some point and then stopped when caught but he did manage to get in the break and, together with a small group, make a selection uphill and downhill on a fairly large group.

Is he finished at the highest level? I think it's still a "work in progress". As they say let's take it "day by day".
He's definitely not on the up, wouldn't beat Bernal here or anything but I think it's extremely harsh to say right now he couldn't be top 5 anymore.

Reactions: Rollthedice
"It was a tough stage, no respite. The absence of Fedaia and Pordoi made it less difficult in terms of altimetry, but it was still very difficult. Such cold days, all day long in the rain, put anyone's stamina to the test. I started out with the idea of attacking, of getting into a breakaway and aiming for the stage. The front group was well-matched and Amanuel did a great job supporting me. Unfortunately, during the race we realized that the group would not give us too much space. But it was right to try, to persevere. The pain in my ribs was minimal, fortunately, and it didn't give me much trouble breathing, which was my big fear. Now I'm thinking about recovering as best I can for the next stages."

He was 36" behind Pedrero when Bernal attacked and caught him. Not that bad, but as I said before he'll need the right break to have a chance.

Hey Egan, last time I was riding up here I ran into some problems with a Dutch dude and one of your compatriots. You were riding for Gianni, right? Anyway, I managed to win the whole damn thing back then, times are changing...

Reactions: Carols and Gigs_98
"Enjoy your better days while they're there, young Egan"
Well he's still better, just not as a cyclist!

Since a man can hope, I'm calling it: Nibali tomorrow in the break. It makes sense: he can get away from the group in the downhill kilometres, count on the fact that the breakaway forming there will not necessarily have many great climbers, and then hope the GC group is paced by Ineos for control behind them.

Of course he would still be dropped halfway up the Sega di Ala climb, but whatever.

Well he's still better, just not as a cyclist!

Since a man can hope, I'm calling it: Nibali tomorrow in the break. It makes sense: he can get away from the group in the downhill kilometres, count on the fact that the breakaway forming there will not necessarily have many great climbers, and then hope the GC group is paced by Ineos for control behind them.

Of course he would still be dropped halfway up the Sega di Ala climb, but whatever.

Some last week magic after the rest day badly needed.

Only problem is, even his record on his top year would be mid of the peloton nowadays :D
Edit: btw from his manager seems clear he wants to race at least 1 more year, 3 realistic offers already on the table.
DQS is one of those apparently, I hope he considers it... UAE too possibly? My memory is not what it used to be.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Have no idea what teams would be in for him. I honestly believe Nibali is past the stage where you get him even for hilly classics leadership anymore. There's basically only Lombardia that truly suits him now.

Maybe his training numbers were really good enough to compete, but I'd see it very likely he is a domestique/stage hunter next year, and I'd prefer he join a team where those roles coexist

Didn't Pogacar want to do the Giro in 2022?