• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 703 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well yes, I meant not being bothered to keep up with best for as long as possible for no reason other than trying to preserve a top 15 spot.

My two cents is that pre-injury Nibali expected to be competitive, probably for the last time, in the Giro, his favourite race. Even after the injury he probably thought he could do decently. Otherwise I can't explain his dismay at dropping for good out of contention.

Update:

Trek-Segafredo does not expect any further news about the situation of Vincenzo Nibali today. The team says that the current situation of the leader does not require further investigation, at least not with great urgency. Monday morning Nibali will be examined again by the team doctor. It is hoped that the Italian will feel better soon. (Sunday 23 May, 8.50 pm)

Update:

Trek-Segafredo does not expect any further news about the situation of Vincenzo Nibali today. The team says that the current situation of the leader does not require further investigation, at least not with great urgency. Monday morning Nibali will be examined again by the team doctor. It is hoped that the Italian will feel better soon. (Sunday 23 May, 8.50 pm)

Hemothorax. Bleed between the lung and the pleurae.

Not good.

Last edited:
Massimo Zanetti "Mister Segafredo":

Was hiring Nibali, after a long courtship, good business?

"Vincenzo is the Italian champion par excellence, nobody is like him. In these two years with us he has not been lucky: first the pandemic, then the wrist fracture. He won everything. I don't see an heir around".

Nibali, at almost 37, is at the end of his career.

"My friend Francesco Moser says that today's riders start early and finish early. Nibali's longevity is unique."

Will he renew for another two years?

"The cost-benefit ratio is to be evaluated. It will depend on Vincenzo, how much money he will be satisfied with: certainly, less than today. Now there is the most famous sprinter in the world who insists on coming to us, but with Nibali, for better or for worse, you are sure to be always in the newspapers".

• Wow
Reactions: Carols and Red Rick