• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pentacycle said:
Nope, that's in the U23. A friend of mine, who is 19, improves his PR's every month or so. As soon as you become pro in the elite levels, you acclimatise to that and gain experience, progressing even more.

From then on(older than 25-26) it's just marginal progress though, except if you're unrightfully pushed into a domestique role, or become pro at a somewhat later age.

Well that sure doesn't explain Froome's Zero to Hero at age 27.....

Netserk said:
When Contador is in the leader's jersey he usually follows moves mostly and also does some attacks.

It's not like Contador constantly attacks when he is the leader.

Vuelta '12: Only one mountain stage left and probably couldn't attack, but also didn't try.

Giro '11: Followed and cooperated with Rujano on Grossglockner. Followed and attacked Nibali on Zonc. Attacked on Giau, Fedaia and Gardeccia. Attacked on Macugnaga. Followed on Finestre/Sestriere.

Tour '10: Followed Andy on Tourmalet. Made a half-attack.

Tour '09: Followed the Schlecks (and made some half-attacks) towards Le Grand-Bornand. Followed on Ventoux.
Grossglockner definately counts as an attack. Rujano was like 6 down on gc at the time.

also in the other examples you give Contador got the jersey very late so he had no chances to attack while in the jersey. In 09 he was virtual lead when he attacked on verbier as he had been for a week cos the oficial leader of the race was nocentini 6 seconds in front. In 07 chicken had the jersey. In 2010 he was behind Andy because of cobblesgate and only got the jersey with the tourmalet mtf to go where Andy attacked quite far from the bottom.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:
Indeed, he has progress incrementally and nicely since Giro 2010.

If he manages this win that is a Vuelta and a Giro in the win column, plus a podium at Le Tour. Not bad for a so called 2nd rate rider :D

+1 you simply cannot dismiss a rider who has podiums in all 3 GTs. Froome's palmares is threadbare by comparison. He is objectively one of the best GC men around and that's why he's winning the Giro

Vincenzo-Nibali-leads-gc-Tirreno-Adriatico-2013-stage-6.jpg

Anyone got a good caption for this photo?

SafeBet said:
He's just lucky. Weak fields :eek:
I wouldn't say that the field is week. Actually there were about 30 riders in this race who are better climbers than Nibali (just see Ryo's infamous list), but all of them have either crashed out, are afraid of rain, can't handle the cold or have become sick :)

So at this point, without all the luck he has, he should've been 31st overall, at best!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Also if there is anything Anton has proved ever since that vuelta, is that he is very inconsistent. Just look at the giro 2011 where he was third overall a couple seconds behind Nibali after the zoncolan stage and was nowhere the next day ending the giro out of the top 15(!!!!!)

yep it is so stupid and pointless for some people keep bringing up "what if Anton did not crash question".

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately for Anton, I doubt very much that he would have been leading the Vuelta after the individual time trial. And the 2010 climbing field was not that bad, really. I mean both Schlecks were there for the start and I recall hoping for Frank Schleck to somehow win. But Andy was there to party and did not help his bro. Nibs was the strongest, best fighter.

But this Giro is not over. I won't relax until my man gets the trophy! Too much can still happen in the race... :eek: crashes, illness...every day is a roll of the dice.

Parrulo said:
Also if there is anything Anton has proved ever since that vuelta, is that he is very inconsistent. Just look at the giro 2011 where he was third overall a couple seconds behind Nibali after the zoncolan stage and was nowhere the next day ending the giro out of the top 15(!!!!!)
End of discussion.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:

After that crash Anton was never the same anymore though. Ok zoncolan win but that's it.

2010 was also by far his best year.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
contessador said:
Unfortunately for Anton, I doubt very much that he would have been leading the Vuelta after the individual time trial. And the 2010 climbing field was not that bad, really. I mean both Schlecks were there for the start and I recall hoping for Frank Schleck to somehow win. But Andy was there to party and did not help his bro. Nibs was the strongest, best fighter.

But this Giro is not over. I won't relax until my man gets the trophy! Too much can still happen in the race... :eek: crashes, illness...every day is a roll of the dice.

Come on, even Roche managed to finish in the top 10 and to be among the best climbers. This must be a joke. :eek:

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Come on, even Roche managed to finish in the top 10 and to be among the best climbers. This must be a joke. :eek:

It was not that bad. Not saying it was that great either. It had promise I remember thinking the first week is all.:p

Miburo said:
After that crash Anton was never the same anymore though. Ok zoncolan win but that's it.

2010 was also by far his best year.

He only had some cuts that needed stitches and a cracked elbow/collarbone, not even a total fracture. That crash had no influence on Anton's performance since then.

Anton simply isn't consistent, on his day he is one of the best climbers in the world, simply fantastic, the problem is that for every great day he has 3 average days and 1 terrible during a whole GT.

TRENDING THREADS