• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
He is going for WC, so Vuelta is what he is going for next.

+ Both AC and Froome will be hungry for the tour, so I doubt Nibali could have a cahnce there anyways

especially with his giro leg vs fresh legs. Vuelta would be best chance for him

May 19, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
If he'd win all those races he would be the best rider of this generation instantly. But I think he will have a hard time winning the Vuelta

he should have advantage against those who just raced Tour in terms of preparation, Contador fading in the Tour after Giro win, Froom fading in the Vuelta after Tour effort, so why not? WC is even harder to predict because of its one day race uncertainty.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nibali is the strongest here. But he can't beat Froome.

And yes he beat him in the Tirreno but in a 3 week Tour Froome has enough real mountain stages to undo the damage of 1 hilly stage

back to back? Tour-Vuelta, Froom faded pretty badly in the Vuelta last year while JR looked like strongest, Tour-Vuelta much harder than Giro-Vuelta

May 19, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
We won't see Vincenzo at the Tour before 2014 at the earliest anyway. A lot can change before then re: Froome & Contador (& Schleck).

even in 2014, after defending Giro, I doubt he will be much a GC threat in the Tour. If he really wants to win Tour, he has to skip Giro like he did in 2012. But it will be very hard for him to make that decision.

maxmartin said:
even in 2014, after defending Giro, I doubt he will be much a GC threat in the Tour. If he really wants to win Tour, he has to skip Giro like he did in 2012. But it will be very hard for him to make that decision.

Would be nice to see him properly peak for the ardennes, and then do the tour, but we need another tour route with less than 60 km of itt for him to have a real chance

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:

Agree, I don't see him riding Giro - Tour. I think if he wins this Giro he will go full bore for the Tour and not defend the Giro next season.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Agree, I don't see him riding Giro - Tour. I think if he wins this Giro he will go full bore for the Tour and not defend the Giro next season.

hmm birdsong won't be happy to be nibble's super domestique:D

Actually, One of the many reasons I like Nibali a lot is his resistance to become a Tour "Whr0re" like many of his colleagues, and rather plans his seasons with a variety of races of his liking & capabilities-From classics to week long races to GT- I mean- the man really likes to race:)

I know at some point, Vino & The Sponsors will "ask" him to make the season around the Tour, which he will, but it does not mean he'll be caught up in that way of racing IMO so....

TRENDING THREADS