• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 91 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 4, 2013
Visit site
This Giro was a different kind of test than the TdF 2012. Wiggins was a good match for that TdF. And I was hooked into thinking, for some reason, that Wiggo would show an improvement in his climbing skills on the road and be good competition, if not the dominant rider in this Giro. But Wiggo has yet to show off his improved climbing on a more mountainous tour. Maybe we will see it very soon. Until then, Nibs has shown that he has improved and is mentally unflappable. Like many, I really hope 2014 TdF is where we will get to see Vincenzo, Andy, Alberto, Dawg, Wiggo and others duke it out!

Fantastic performance by Nibali, absolutely dominated this Giro. Yes, he was lucky that some of the competition had problems - but isn't it like that almost every time?
He didn't poison Wiggins or Hesjedal, he was better than them. They were sick? That sucks, but that happens. In almost every race.
He looked better than both of them [and all the other riders] from stage 1.
He absolutely deserved this and at the moment he is one of the best GT riders in the world. Like him or not, he is. Is he better than Froome and Contador? Probably not, but that still doesn't mean he isn't fantastic.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
One has to be full of praise for Nibali. I was never a "fan" of a rider or really disliked a rider, but this is a great man. I hope he wins the Tour, Liege, Lombardia and the Worlds in his further career. As I already said, that´s someone every team can be proud of to have him.

First, Vuelta, second, Giro, third, Tour, that´s something that could become reality for him. He has the years from 2014-2018, five years, to win the TdF, and I´m sure he will do so in one of these years.

alla grande!

0026a8d5.jpeg

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Sickness is uncontrollable?

Quote from Dhr.Ferrari few days ago:

"After nearly 1000 km under in the rain, the riders begin to pay the price.

Not only respiratory diseases but also muscle fatigue, tendinitis and digestive problems assaulted the more fragile athletes in the peloton.
Cyclists, in addition to food, ingest water and mud from the pavement, which often contains parasites: worm and protozoa infection are definitely not uncommon, draining the energies well beyond the physiological fatigue of a stage race.

And it is riders such as Wiggins and Hesjedal, along with Froome and Gesink, the prototypes of the latest generation of riders whose fragility I had already pointed out (see comment for the TdF of 07/24/12), that are the first to pay the price for such weather conditions, inevitably having to quit the Giro .
Physically very tall and perhaps too thin, they are more exposed to wind and cold compared to more compact and less taut athletes.

But if so much rain is unusual in Italy in the month of May, unforeseen external factors are always to take into account in road cycling, especially when dealing with a competition that lasts more than three weeks on an extremely diverse course, always full of pitfalls."

Can't disagree with him on this point tbh.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
gazzetta inventing that nibali was slower than di luca 2007 by 2 minutes and a half in the last 4 kms ...oh boy...

on the other side, nice interview with vincenzo who even if he could mock danilo, he didn't. rides like a champ, talks like a champ.

in the clinic they seemed to think he was about 30 seconds slower?

TRENDING THREADS