• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Want to see a real fight between Nibbles and old man Horner in the third week. Will be Nibalis first real test against a great climber ;)

As much as I hope Horner will make history and we do need some good news here this year, he will crack on a stage on either MTF or a medium climbing stage.:eek:

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
rumor is they improved on his Giro ITT bike, but I have no confirmation at this time. ;)

Hmm that would be pretty zweet :D

The ITT will be very important for Nibs. He needs to take time there on the oldtimer.. Nice to see though that Nibali is improving every day. On the Angliru Nibali will probably be close to Giro form.

Nibs looking fine :) Just rounding into shape and should have plenty more in the tank when the guys that rode the Tour start to tire badly.

Horner well, who knows what he will do. But at his age and considering his race mileage to date this year he should fold at some point.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
"I had Jakob Fuglsang with me in the final climb and he set a good pace to eliminate a lot of the main group. Horner attacked soon after that but I chose to wait until 2.5km to go to make my own separation. I think this Vuelta is still a long way from the finish, and there are so many difficult days ahead of us, starting with the time trial on Wednesday. But tomorrow is a rest day, and that's the most important thing right now," Nibali said.

Astana Pro Team Director Sportif Alexander Shefer put the stage into perspective.

"Nibali came into the Vuelta at about 75 percent of his full form, and our goal was simply not to lose time against the main rivals before the first rest day. Tomorrow is the first rest day and he is in second place. Probably he won't take the jersey back in the time trial in Wednesday, because it's a short course and Horner is a good time trialist on his own. But after the first rest day Nibali is going to be in top form more or less, and if we can get to within about 15 seconds of the jersey then we will all be in chocolate," Shefer said.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
lol, since when is Horner an unbeatable GT rider? Last I checked Nibbles is one of the most successful GT riders of his generation. He'll be fine against that old man unless the old man is packing some crazy ****

"one of the most successful GT riders of his generation" ? Based on the Vuelta where he (barely) beat Mosquera and a Purito who'd never gone for GC before and the Giro where a fading Evans finished 3rd? Nibs is an exciting racer but certainly not among the best GT riders we've seen over the past 20 years. I doubt he'd be ahead of Purito or Valverde at this point if they had not raced the TDF.

webvan said:
"one of the most successful GT riders of his generation" ? Based on the Vuelta where he (barely) beat Mosquera and a Purito who'd never gone for GC before and the Giro where a fading Evans finished 3rd? Nibs is an exciting racer but certainly not among the best GT riders we've seen over the past 20 years. I doubt he'd be ahead of Purito or Valverde at this point if they had not raced the TDF.

Considering the GT results Valverde and Purito are already behind Nibs. So what the hell are you talking about?
Facts, please.

Actually regarding his specific generation, he's already the most successful GT rider.

Facts? How about looking up the DOB of the riders you mention or is it "generation" you need to look up? Ah, I see you misunderstood my previous message, ahead=ahead in the current Vuelta of course.

Anyway, the point remains that Nibali is an exciting rider but hyped as a GT great, i.e. he can win when the better riders of the day are DNS.

webvan said:
75% ? Hum...where did we hear that before revently? Nibali is not beating a Horner in that kind of shape, this isn't the weak Giro field.

I think the 3 primaries (Nibali, Valverde and Purito) and to lesser extent Basso, are playing it smart by choosing who to mark. They don't see Horner as big a threat as each other. In Valverde and Purito's part they have to measure their efforts and by deciding who is the biggest threat and who isn't they saving energy for difficult 2 weeks ahead. Were they to attempt to chase down
Horner/Pozzivivo/Roche they risk the inevitable fatigue of their Tour efforts to take their toll that much sooner. The bad thing is that Nibali will only get stronger while the same can't be expected of Valverde and Purito.

Pippo_San said:
Considering the GT results Valverde and Purito are already behind Nibs. So what the hell are you talking about?
Facts, please.

Actually regarding his specific generation, he's already the most successful GT rider.

That's dependent upon where you draw the line that separates these generation of which you speak. Surely Contador is curiously being overlooked by you. Nibali would be a distant second.

webvan said:
Facts? How about looking up the DOB of the riders you mention or is it "generation" you need to look up? Ah, I see you misunderstood my previous message, ahead=ahead in the current Vuelta of course.

Anyway, the point remains that Nibali is an exciting rider but hyped as a GT great, i.e. he can win when the better riders of the day are DNS.

So you do consider Valverde, Purito or Basso, or even Menchov part of the same generation of Nibs? That's ridiculous at best, especially considering the career of these riders, the bans and whatever.
I see different stories and cycling generations.

A case could definitely be made regarding Velasco, but again it really feels like another generation.

So yeah to me and I guess to the vast majority Nibbles is the most successful GT rider of his generation bar none.

Of course not, hence my previous message, but you don't seem to be reading posts properly today (see "ahead") so I'll leave you at it. In any case I'll stick to my story that Nibali is hyped as a GT rider and won't win any GTs with in-form Wiggins/Contador/Froome/"future true GT greats" participating.

webvan said:
Of course not, hence my previous message, but you don't seem to be reading posts properly today (see "ahead") so I'll leave you at it. In any case I'll stick to my story that Nibali is hyped as a GT rider and won't win any GTs with in-form Wiggins/Contador/Froome/"future true GT greats" participating.

I think Nibali deserves more respect than you're willing to give him. I don't think he's one of the greats but you have to accept that his style of racing and his ability to be competitive in such a wide range of events creates a passionate following.

Sounds like we're saying the same thing, an exciting and pretty unique rider, but not a GT great. There's always a risk of the important stuff getting lost in the posts when you're trying to fend off some dude who thinks Nibali is the best thing since slided bread and skims over posts to keep hammering that fact.

webvan said:

Well I certainly don't include Wiggins in any catagory remotely akin to a GT great. Contador, yes without a doubt a GT great and in a class above Nibs, just on raw talent alone never mind palmares. Froome has all the potential to be better than Nibs but right now is still behind on palmares. Time will tell with him.

So of the current generation it's Contador, Nibs, Froome. (They are all 28-30 years old) with Contador's star falling, Nibs' star rising and Froome with a rocket up his ****.

edit: doesn't like b utt LOL.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
Sounds like we're saying the same thing, an exciting and pretty unique rider, but not a GT great. There's always a risk of the important stuff getting lost in the posts when you're trying to fend off some dude who thinks Nibali is the best thing since slided bread and skims over posts to keep hammering that fact.

LMAO, not GT great yet won more GT than any current riders except AC/IB. And you are the one claiming on the facts side.

Carols said:
Well I certainly don't include Wiggins in any catagory remotely akin to a GT great. Contador, yes without a doubt a GT great and in a class above Nibs, just on raw talent alone never mind palmares. Froome has all the potential to be better than Nibs but right now is still behind on palmares. Time will tell with him.

So of the current generation it's Contador, Nibs, Froome. (They are all 28-30 years old) with Condator's star falling, Nibs' star rising and Froome with a rocket up his ****.

edit: doesn't like b utt LOL.
+ 1 on all scores with a "also run second for Purito" who is battling for the title with Poulidor

TRENDING THREADS