• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
Red Rick said:
Nibali is also improving quite rapidly so I think the Angliru stage might just be a repeat of what we saw on Tre Cime, (except the weather will be better and the gaps will be bigger):cool:

:D The most ridiculous thing I heard on this forum is "Oh Nibali's GT win was gifted. WTF!"

May 19, 2011
Visit site
“Horner set a very high rhythm and I preferred to stay on his wheel. There are still some hard stages to come, so it’s important to measure the effort. Today was very difficult, with the wind, the cold, the rain. Tomorrow will be even harder.”

Sounds like he is saving energy, getting everything ready for Angulu

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
If you pay attention to what Webvan says, all his GT wins were gifted and he is many levels below the great GT rider Bradley wiggins :rolleyes:

Anyone calls BW GREAT GT rider is delusional, and should be kept away from the society :D

maxmartin said:
“Horner set a very high rhythm and I preferred to stay on his wheel. There are still some hard stages to come, so it’s important to measure the effort. Today was very difficult, with the wind, the cold, the rain. Tomorrow will be even harder.”

Sounds like he is saving energy, getting everything ready for Angulu

Bossing them while saving himself :) Ole Pappy Horner 'no one can drop me' it's time to put up or shut up. I do believe Nibs will have the answer!

SBW- watched him melt down and totally lose his nerve like a 12 year old school girl. Sure great rider there--Not!!!

Lo Squalo has never received the respect he deserves....maybe soon it will be coming his way!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yep, +1 to most of what's written above about Nibali. Nibs is doing a great Vuelta and a great year. I love how he is proving all his doubters wrong this year. :D I've always liked him and been a fan, glad to see him really coming into his own as a GT rider.

gregrowlerson said:
Nibs has been the most underrated rider on the forum for a long time. Epic consistency in grand tours, and many good one day results also.

And it doesn't matter how cold it is; he has nerves of steel that cannot be frozen :)

Well there was that one La Primavera. That was not a day for GT men.

phanatic said:
Well there was that one La Primavera. That was not a day for GT men.
If it was the last race of the year, I have no doubt that he would've raced it. He still had his most important races ahead of him, so he couldn't afford to get sick (that would mess his Giro prep), coupled with the fact that it's close to impossible for him to win that race.

Netserk said:
If it was the last race of the year, I have no doubt that he would've raced it. He still had his most important races ahead of him, so he couldn't afford to get sick (that would mess his Giro prep), coupled with the fact that it's close to impossible for him to win that race.
That sounds right. I looked back and saw he was checking out the Giro ITT between T-A and MSR and playing up the other cyclists on the team.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Red Rick said:
He looked to be in trouble for a tiny bit today, but he might have had a tiny bit of trouble shifting

yep he dropped a few sopts in the middle maybe he wanted other people do some work, and in the end he took control and perhaps he did not not know exactly how many people were in front of him, so he tried to sprint to get the bonus.