• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Angliru said:
I still believe that the wc is his primary objective, with, as he and Martinelli have said, Nibali hoping to be at his best then. Possibly still having the form to be competitive at the Vuelta was in their plans and have proved to work out quite well as evidenced by Nibali still being in red.
Actions speak louder than words, and this will always be what I believe in.

Angliru said:
I still believe that the wc is his primary objective, with, as he and Martinelli have said, Nibali hoping to be at his best then. Possibly still having the form to be competitive at the Vuelta was in their plans and have proved to work out quite well as evidenced by Nibali still being in red.

I don't think Nibali was supposed to ride the Vuelta originally and even if he does win the Vuelta I can't see him winning the Worlds. To me he looks tired. The Giro was a hard race because of the conditions even though stages were cut short and Nibali has raced a lot this year. Nibali is losing the form he had in the first half of the year which was exceptional. I could be wrong but I would be surprised if Nibali put in a top 10 performance in the Worlds. He does not look like he is riding into form but trying to hold onto it. Horner looks better but Nibali still has the class in the TT and it would have been interesting if Horner had attacked a little earlier on the last two mountain stages. I think Cancellara might be the one or maybe Moreno to do something in Italy as far as the Vuelta riders are concerned. Valverde and Rodriguez have also ridden two GTs and look fatigued.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
Wouldn't though?! No one, except maybe Horner could've predicted this kind of performance. It's not done yet though. Nibali's a fighter and may be able to hold Horner off.

Angliru, you can decide who win this Vuelta:p

movingtarget said:
He does not look like he is riding into form but trying to hold onto it.

Looks like you're right. He's fading. I'm even reconsidering having him as captain in Firenze, since Scarponi's form is clearly rising.

Don't know what to expect from tomorrow. Crazy attack from the Cordal descent? Or protecting his podium spot? Valverde and Purito are not so far in GC.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Don't know what to expect from tomorrow. Crazy attack from the Cordal descent? Or protecting his podium spot? Valverde and Purito are not so far in GC.

He should go balls to the walls and attack on Alto del Cordal, in an epic suicide style move. Horner's the strongest climber in the race, only way to beat him is create a bit of chaos.

Afrank said:
He should go balls to the walls and attack on Alto del Cordal, in an epic suicide style move. Horner's the strongest climber in the race, only way to beat him is create a bit of chaos.

But is Nibali as brave of a rider as we perceive him to be?
I fear he'll be stuck in the passenger seat marking Purito and Valverde.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:

I hope he is, truthfully though I think he probably will end up marking the others on Angliru. I could see him attacking and I think he could manage to get away from Valverde and Rodriguez with a really strong ride. Harder to see him dropping Horner though.

SafeBet said:
He's proved many times he can attack effectively- but the issue here is that he's fading, which has nothing to do with being brave at all.
Perhaps he'll deliver tomorrow alike the Bola del Mundo back in 2010-who knows...

May 19, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
He's proved many times he can attack effectively- but the issue here is that he's fading, which has nothing to do with being brave at all.
Perhaps he'll deliver tomorrow alike the Bola del Mundo back in 2010-who knows...

only Bola del Mundo is not enough, he did not gain any time in that stage and he is actually riding defensively in that stage. But Nibali will drop CH to win the vuelta for sure;)

movingtarget said:
I don't think Nibali was supposed to ride the Vuelta originally and even if he does win the Vuelta I can't see him winning the Worlds. To me he looks tired.
Bettini told him to ride the Vuelta only for stage wins although it seems Nibali can't help himself and was probably pushed by Astana to fight for the overall...
Reminds me of Trentino and Liege earlier in the season when he wanted to take it easy but Shefer? made him go hard in the last stage so he was tired for Liege.

Carols said:
Lo Squalo looking tired. He needs to just ride his own pace up the Angliru and hope for the best. Right now it looks as if he will blow if he tries to match Horner, leaving Valverde and Purito to move up over him :(

It will be difficult for Nibali on the next stage. If he blows it on the last climb he could miss the podium although Rodriguez is probably too far back. The problem is Horner will follow Valverde and Rodriguez if he has the legs and Nibali will have to decide to follow early attacks or just try and hang on. I can't see him coming good all of a sudden and the last week has showed a pattern where has been conceding time at the finishes. Will also be important for Horner not to get too excited but Horner is probably too experienced for that to happen. The good thing for him is that Rodriguez rarely attacks from a long way out same as Valverde and the last stage seems like it won't be a promenade if the gaps remain close. I think Nibali is relying on other's to have an off day at this stage. The last three editions of the Vuelta have been great viewing for different reasons.

I understood Pena Cabarga, he was fine, the only to follow Horner's attack but the he went into the red trying to match the insane watts produced by the American. He had no choice, the climb was short and he could not have maintained his usual pace without loosing more. He managed to limit the loses and his performance was normal for him coming within few seconds of Purito and Valverde. But then yesterday he lost it in the final hundred meters of a Cat2 climb. This I can't quite understand. Was he indeed feeling weak? Was this an intentional move to loose the jersey and get a few hours more of rest (he was complaining about the interviews and all the stuff that the leader has to go through after the race)? Is he betting on Angliru? All the major contenders had the bad day except Horner. Maybe today? Rain? I still have confidence in Nibali. We'll see.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
What a diff a day makes, I am a fan of Nibali. The guy was so couragous today on Angliru he had Horner in difficulty it is easy saying after the FACT but it would have been cool if Nibali did not waste energy he would beat Horner in a sprint and surely would have hanged on to Horner as all the attacking must have took it out of him.

But hey I would not have been a fan if he did not attack so yes their it is I will now cheer this guy to come back and do what he done today I cant believe(Such CLASS).