• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 131 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
Start saving. I think he can do it. It's quite possible that Froome will loose his superpowers as fast as he got them. Vincenzo can handle all the rest.

That is what they are saing since 2011 Vuelta ;)

Froome will be as strong as ever. However aside Froome, and no Quintana, Nibs has a good chance to win, although Froome will need to suffer lots/

greenedge said:
I seriously think he could win next year.

Then again i might change my mind again, as Froome rides like a beast.

He said he can't improve more as far as climbing is concerned but in the ITT there is still a possibility to be better and I'm sure this is what he will work on. He also said that Contador's lack of form made Froome look better than he is. Vincenzo looks pretty confident he can challenge Vroom on the mountains and I say it's important to have better domestiques than the Sky guys up there. If Porte is not riding, because he was the guy who blew up the contenders I'm curious to see if Sky will show us another amazing transformation of a rider who can take Porte's role.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
There's no way in hell Nibali will beat Froome at the Tour.

He wouldn't have beaten this year's Froome, but there's no guarantee whatsoever that everyone gets the same form each season. So Nibali might win, provided that Quintana isn't there and Froome messes up his preparation.

Next year could be the same as the Giro '13; Nibali rides a phenomenal first week, but after that there's just no one around who has any hope of taking time back.

Pentacycle said:
He wouldn't have beaten this year's Froome, but there's no guarantee whatsoever that everyone gets the same form each season. So Nibali might win, provided that Quintana isn't there and Froome messes up his preparation.

Next year could be the same as the Giro '13; Nibali rides a phenomenal first week, but after that there's just no one around who has any hope of taking time back.

Of course. So many things can happen there is nothing decided yet. If there is one rider who can challenge Froome, it's Nibali. That is the starting point. Even Brailsford said it loud and clear.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
what are you talking about? I was watching every second of every stage :p

Don't get me wrong, cause I was watching thise stages as well. But afterwards itfelt like a waste of time. They could've just stopped racing a week earlier and the results wouldn't have been very different. Same guys on the podium.

LaFlorecita said:
There's no way in hell Nibali will beat Froome at the Tour.

But Nibali beat Froome -Unlike Alberto-which is more alike that Vincenzo-not Alberto is up to the challenge (Unless of course Contador gains his old self)
and considering that Porte might be tired after Il Giro-It means Froome has to do a lot more by himself, which is where he's proved to be weak

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Bettini tips Nibali for 2014 success: ‘I think he can win the Tour’

Bettini’s optimism is echoed by the Italian federation president Renato Di Rocco. He points out Nibali’s consistency during the season and believes this shows him to be a more complete rider than some of his rivals.

“I hope Vincenzo will win the Tour de France,” he said, although he also acknowledged that it won’t be easy. “Starting with a fixed objective is always difficult for everyone. I know Nibali, he races from the beginning to the end of the season and is already different to those who have tended to win the Tour in the past.

“Vincenzo has different characteristics to the others and has a very good head.”

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...-think-he-can-win-the-Tour.aspx#ixzz2muEAIOrb

hfer07 said:
But Nibali beat Froome -Unlike Alberto-which is more alike that Vincenzo-not Alberto is up to the challenge (Unless of course Contador gains his old self)
and considering that Porte might be tired after Il Giro-It means Froome has to do a lot more by himself, which is where he's proved to be weak

Did I say something about Contador? I was talking about Froome vs Nibali not Froome vs Nibali vs Contador

jens_attacks said:
i think with this year's level, nibali would have got 2nd behind froomey in le tour and not at more than 2 minutes. he really improved a lot and i strongly believe he can take down froome next year in le tour

A bit optimistic I think. I don't think he is a better climber than Quintana but the TT would have brought him closer. But there is no doubt his Giro win was a complete domination. Many people were saying that the fact that Evans finished third albeit a long way behind on time did not augur well for Nibali in the Tour but from what we saw, Nibali would only have increased his lead if all the mountain stages were raced in full and most people seem to think that Evans would have not made the podium. No doubt Evans would have lost more time to Nibali but so would the riders behind him on GC and Uran as well.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i think with this year's level, nibali would have got 2nd behind froomey in le tour and not at more than 2 minutes. he really improved a lot and i strongly believe he can take down froome next year in le tour

I like this optimism :D
And I strongly believe team Astana will be ready for the challenge.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=115625#.UrWtPX-9KK2

Astana training. Some blood lactate testing.

Good write up and looks to be a strong team for 2014.

Astana-012.jpg

TRENDING THREADS