• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 139 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Netserk said:
Did you just pull that out of your ***?

I think he's right. We're two months into the start of his season and he has yet to find any resemblance of good shape. He's being dropped by 15-20 riders on easy climbs in a race he targeted at the beginning of the season. And the competition is certainly nothing special.

And this has nothing to do with having the Tour as his main goal this season. Look at 2012: Tour as main target but amazing spring campaign.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Now wait a minute, his approach to the season is totally different from last year when he targeted the Giro.

He's got plenty of time to find top form for July, although I don't see him making the podium in France nonetheless. There are too many other candidates that have more strength, although Nibali's tenacious will to fight you can never discount.

Well, many fans on CN will discount Vincenzo Nibali's will to fight and insist on under-rating him. It is way too quick to write him off for the year!

Lo Squalo will be ready for July ;)

I must recognize-Nibs looked in poor shape today- The Col d'Eze isn't one to lose the wheel of the main contenders, unless the shape is lacking....

but i come to think: was he saving himself for M-SR?:eek:

at least he's putting the Kilometers on his legs, so by the time the Ardennes come- he'll be at least in some form of fitness to be a protagonist....

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I have not been following this race but not at all surprised. Sure it is tough not to want him in the form he was last season at this time. But I remind myself this year is unlike any he has ever had - first time papa :) aw... time to give him a break, not write him off;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Of course not, but he'll have to catch up with his rivals for the Tour. Nibali is vulnerable now, balancing on a thin line between illness and overtraining, while trying to catch up with his TdF rivals. Contador knows it from last year.

you have a point. But it's not about balancing illness and over training. He seemed to be behind with his winter training this year. (sponsor obligation). And with the recent birth of his daughter, just like most first time dad, he must be sleepless for some days. So it doesn't help when you are behind the schedule. So now, he has to play catch up. I don't know if that's going to be enough or not, considering Froome, Contador and Valverde have already showed up.

Last year contador was in similar situation as him (behind with his winter training due to sponsor obligation). He played catch up all year long. He made podium early season, but he can only put a good fight for 4th comes TDF.

"This winter my preparation was better. I isolated myself from lots of compromises that took time from my training. I spent a lot of time training with just a few teammates and in one camp we did a lot of climbing.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-full-of-confidence-after-taking-charge-at-tirreno-adriatico

Nibali is a different rider ofcourse. But he definitely has way way way long way to go if he wants to be near Froome and Contador at TDF. Time will tell.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
AC and F, who else can push Nibali off the podium? don't tell me you think AV and JR have better chances than Nibali.

on paper AV might not. But he is a podium chaser. He won't win TDF, but he aims for podium :p. So whether or not he can push Nibali off the podium, still remains to be seen. :D With Valverde's current form that he showed now, if he continues, he might. No one can tell for sure that AV can push off Nibali out of podium at TDF. But to match Contador and Froome, is likely to be a steep task for Nibali with his current form.

What's nibali next race?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Looks like Nibali won't race Milan SanRemo.

“Milano-Sanremo would be complicated to win for me this year,” Nibali told reporters on Saturday. “Without Pompeiana or La Maniè, it will be more of a sprinter’s race again.”

So much so, that Nibali is not yet confirmed he will start.

And no Criterium for him. Just Ardeness classic and Romandie. If that's true, then he never faces Contador until Dauphene. And he'll meet Froome at Romandie.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...mpeianas-exit-may-start-milano-sanremo_320416

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
on paper AV might not. But he is a podium chaser. He won't win TDF, but he aims for podium :p. So whether or not he can push Nibali off the podium, still remains to be seen. :D With Valverde's current form that he showed now, if he continues, he might. No one can tell for sure that AV can push off Nibali out of podium at TDF. But to match Contador and Froome, is likely to be a steep task for Nibali with his current form.

What's nibali next race?

HAHA I am sure AV or moviestar will screw up some how in some way, may be on the cobbles:p

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
HAHA I am sure AV or moviestar will screw up some how in some way, may be on the cobbles:p

not arguing with you on that part :D He has a habit of screwing things up at TDF. Maybe Bentacur will be the next Quintana and pushes Nibali off the podium :p

May 19, 2011
Visit site
EnacheV said:
I wont be surprised if he does Giro/Vuelta again.

Super Contador + Froome = most likely 3rd place for him

“I beat [Chris] Froome last year at Tirreno, true, but that doesn’t count for anything this year,” he said. “I am feeling better and better by the day. We are only at the beginning of spring, and the Tour is not until the summer. I am not worried.”

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
not arguing with you on that part :D He has a habit of screwing things up at TDF. Maybe Bentacur will be the next Quintana and pushes Nibali off the podium :p

Bentacur is has the explosiveness to win short climb, his ability on the longer and consecutive climbs still need to be seem. but I am impressed with his performance in last year gigo, but don't think he will be a major contender this year in france and did he suck on the long flat ITT?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping he rides it, may not be quite as suited to him like it was when Pompeiana was to be included. But if nothing else he can use it for the training. Could probably use the extra training with being a little behind on his winter prep anyways.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
I'm hoping he rides it, may not be quite as suited to him like it was when Pompeiana was to be included. But if nothing else he can use it for the training. Could probably use the extra training with being a little behind on his winter prep anyways.

he should ride catalunya. IMHO. At least he has a chance to at least win a stage. B/c there are tons of steep mountains if he is looking for training ground. Unless...... he doesn't want to clash with Froome, Contador, Quintana, Porte, Horner while he isn't up to par yet :p

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
he should ride catalunya. IMHO. At least he has a chance to at least win a stage. B/c there are tons of steep mountains if he is looking for training ground. Unless...... he doesn't want to clash with Froome, Contador, Quintana, Porte, Horner while he isn't up to par yet :p

Nibali needs "training" not some stupid racing, AC and CF can win everything they want at this time. July will be another story:p

TRENDING THREADS