Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 138 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
SafeBet said:
This could very well be a down season. Winter prep was surely flawed for whatever reason and now he'll be busy with his daughter. I'm not sure he'll be ready for the TdF.
Well he certainly hasn't shown much so far, but there is time. The year after a big win sometimes isn't the best because of the obligations that come with it that cuts into training. And now he has a family. So let's see how his form comes along, but I fear you might be correct.
 
SafeBet said:
This could very well be a down season. Winter prep was surely flawed for whatever reason and now he'll be busy with his daughter. I'm not sure he'll be ready for the TdF.
given how important the winter base is these days, I think you are right. Becoming a new father will be an immediate distraction as well (not to mention the lack of quality sleep for the next few years).
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Publicus said:
given how important the winter base is these days, I think you are right. Becoming a new father will be an immediate distraction as well (not to mention the lack of quality sleep for the next few years).
i think he is on tract, and he could win this Paris-Nice lol:D
 
Mar 26, 2009
2,532
0
0
Jspear said:
Did the report say he was going to actually do the Giro or was it just rumor? He wouldn't even be guaranteed another Giro win....not with Quintana there.
The report said he was adviced but nothing 100% sure.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
TG does not seem confident enough, so Nibali or Fulgsang?:D


Slagter is a real threat. He's a quick rider who can go after time bonuses," Thomas said afterwards, according to L'Équipe. "But I think Nibali and Fuglsang are the key. Astana has two good cards to play with them.

"Tomorrow's stage is long, more than 220 kilometres. You can feel good for a long time and then have a sudden low in the last hour of racing. In any case, I'd be surprised if I'm sitting here [in the press room] tomorrow talking to you."
 
So, what was Nibs doing today? He tormented the peloton for some time until he cracked paving the way for Costas and Betancurs and surprisingly even for Birdsong. And why was he keeping a close eye on Thomas? I'm sure he knew the main threat will be somewhere else. Is this just a training, that's all?
 
Oct 17, 2011
1,315
0
0
Rollthedice said:
So, what was Nibs doing today? He tormented the peloton for some time until he cracked paving the way for Costas and Betancurs and surprisingly even for Birdsong. And why was he keeping a close eye on Thomas? I'm sure he knew the main threat will be somewhere else. Is this just a training, that's all?
I think he had a feeling that his form was not good enough to make a difference on the climb, so he tried in the downhill/flat. It did not work but hey, he tried.
 
Rollthedice said:
So, what was Nibs doing today? He tormented the peloton for some time until he cracked paving the way for Costas and Betancurs and surprisingly even for Birdsong. And why was he keeping a close eye on Thomas? I'm sure he knew the main threat will be somewhere else. Is this just a training, that's all?
He working for Fuglsang- so no worries-everything cool in Nibali's mind & soul :D
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Rollthedice said:
So, what was Nibs doing today? He tormented the peloton for some time until he cracked paving the way for Costas and Betancurs and surprisingly even for Birdsong. And why was he keeping a close eye on Thomas? I'm sure he knew the main threat will be somewhere else. Is this just a training, that's all?
obviously he is working for JF, but JF come up a little short. It is a good idea to have a good working relationship with his key support in ToF.
 
I still feel like his winter prep was not good enough. Nibbles has always been a rider who can get to top shape in a relatively short time (remember Ardennes two years ago? or Vuelta last year?). But you need a good winter prep to do that. You need a lot of kms on your bike before the season starts.

What's his schedule after Paris Nice? I know he planned to ride RVV, but is there anything before?
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
Apparently he'll ride Milano-SanRemo and Critérium International in preparation for the Ardennes. The Ronde is still uncertain.

TBH I think he has the same issues as Contador last year. Lack of training base, combined with a very early start of the season in San Luis. Racing =/= training anymore, except if you're Betancur.
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
Netserk said:
He has ridden San Luis in '09, '10, '12, '13 and '14, so I highly doubt that's the reason ;)
He was much better in other years. His TT performance alone will tell you that.

Sometimes it's better to postpone the start of your season and train to get that base level. An annus horribilis is looming for the most consistent rider of the past 5 years, while theoretically being Froome's nearest rival.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
1
0
Pentacycle said:
He was much better in other years. His TT performance alone will tell you that.

Sometimes it's better to postpone the start of your season and train to get that base level. An annus horribilis is looming for the most consistent rider of the past 5 years, while theoretically being Froome's nearest rival.
Nibbles will even have difficulty to stay up with Contador, Valverde, Betancur and co.
 
SafeBet said:
I doubt this schedule will help him build any form.
Now wait a minute, his approach to the season is totally different from last year when he targeted the Giro.

He's got plenty of time to find top form for July, although I don't see him making the podium in France nonetheless. There are too many other candidates that have more strength, although Nibali's tenacious will to fight you can never discount.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
rhubroma said:
Now wait a minute, his approach to the season is totally different from last year when he targeted the Giro.

He's got plenty of time to find top form for July, although I don't see him making the podium in France nonetheless. There are too many other candidates that have more strength, although Nibali's tenacious will to fight you can never discount.
AC and F, who else can push Nibali off the podium? don't tell me you think AV and JR have better chances than Nibali.
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
trevim said:
Remember 2012? He was crap on Dauphine and great in the Tour. Obviously base miles are important but I don't think there's reason to panic just yet.
Of course not, but he'll have to catch up with his rivals for the Tour. Nibali is vulnerable now, balancing on a thin line between illness and overtraining, while trying to catch up with his TdF rivals. Contador knows it from last year.
 
Pentacycle said:
Of course not, but he'll have to catch up with his rivals for the Tour. Nibali is vulnerable now, balancing on a thin line between illness and overtraining, while trying to catch up with his TdF rivals. Contador knows it from last year.
Did you just pull that out of your ***?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY