• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 143 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maxmartin said:
do now want to know what u are smoking?:p miles behind what? he is not racing giro. I would say peaking for the LBL also is unnecessary lol

This is not Lance Armstrong we're talking about. Nibali had TdF as main target in 2012 and he was flying in spring. He wants to be competitive all year long and was clearly frustrated during Paris Nice. There are even rumors of a heated exchange between him and Martinelli after Fayence. He doesn't like where he's at right now, hence this decision to stop racing and focus on training.

Best thing he could do.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
SafeBet said:
This is not Lance Armstrong we're talking about. Nibali had TdF as main target in 2012 and he was flying in spring. He wants to be competitive all year long and was clearly frustrated during Paris Nice. There are even rumors of a heated exchange between him and Martinelli after Fayence. He doesn't like where he's at right now, hence this decision to stop racing and focus on training.

Best thing he could do.

uuuufff.... that's not good. Sound like Contador last year (not happy with the race program, form were no where to challenge froome). Nibali is clearly behind so he needs to start buckle up really soon. Good that he decided to train instead of getting another km on his leg.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Anonymous in Amstel, around 10th or something in Fleche, and then a proper attack in Liege.

well if that's the case we'll be seeing the after altitude training match between nibali and froome. :D We shall see who's altitude training reign supreme!

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
AGR and FW to get himself ready for the LBL carnage ofc :cool::cool:
People think AC will be a challenger to Froome, probably, but they will fight for the 2nd place in the tour nontheless

Love this idea. AC and Froom to fight for 2nd behind lo squalo :cool:

BTW - not that I have ever been a prolific poster here, but incase any one might wonder, contessador, the nickname, is now retired. Pigoonse is taking her place/same poster. :eek:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
pigoonse said:
Love this idea. AC and Froom to fight for 2nd behind lo squalo :cool:

BTW - not that I have ever been a prolific poster here, but incase any one might wonder, contessador, the nickname, is now retired. Pigoonse is taking her place/same poster. :eek:

I was wondering how did you become the editor in chief with only 5 posts:D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
At 4 or 5 posts it says that for everyone (some kind of error in the software of the forum or something). Then it naturally goes back to junior after that. Then member at 50 posts, and senior at 100.

After race interview: we knew Gasparotto was our best bet for the win today so we worked for him. I'm feeling ok. This is the first race after a long training period so I knew I couldn't win here. I felt good throughout the race but didn't have legs in the finale. Not sure of my form for LBL but I'll try.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
He got through the race, was not impressive, but he made it safe to the finish and others did not. He has time and room to improve.

Not thinking he can keep up with Contador ...yet.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
After race interview: we knew Gasparotto was our best bet for the win today so we worked for him. I'm feeling ok. This is the first race after a long training period so I knew I couldn't win here. I felt good throughout the race but didn't have legs in the finale. Not sure of my form for LBL but I'll try.

sounds like he is going to win LBL.:p fasten your seat belt:eek:

SafeBet said:

We know he will always try something, can't help himself :) Hopefully the training block pays benefits as le Tour will be here before we know it and he has yet to show any form this season. Maybe next weekend :)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
We know he will always try something, can't help himself :) Hopefully the training block pays benefits as le Tour will be here before we know it and he has yet to show any form this season. Maybe next weekend :)

Nibali right now reminds me of contador last year: scrambling to get his form after missing an important training block during the winter. I hope he proves me wrong. But so far, he hasn't showed up yet, he showed some flash here and there, but nothing impressive so far, especially, after all, he is supposedly the one that's taunted to be Froome's biggest challenger :D ...even Brailsford fears him..:) *still waiting for nibali to show up*

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Nibali right now reminds me of contador last year: scrambling to get his form after missing an important training block during the winter. I hope he proves me wrong. But so far, he hasn't showed up yet, he showed some flash here and there, but nothing impressive so far, especially, after all, he is supposedly the one that's taunted to be Froome's biggest challenger :D ...even Brailsford fears him..:) *still waiting for nibali to show up*

because all the races he did so far did not suit him, and what is the hurry to show your form so early? he is not like AC trying so hard to reestablish himself.

maxmartin said:
because all the races he did so far did not suit him, and what is the hurry to show your form so early? he is not like AC trying so hard to reestablish himself.

Oman didn't suit him?....he was competitive in the 2013 worlds....why wasn't he more in the mix in Paris Nice? He has been in some races where he could have gotten a higher result. I agree with Jelantik - he does seem to be chasing form.