• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 184 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
Samson said:
I wonder why Kangert was asked to drop back? Is the team trying to play with two cards? He looked surprisingly good cosidering that he had pretty nasty crash yesterday. Maybe could of been more useful to Nibali. Nibali's finish makes me worry a bit but hopefully there's nothing to worry about.

they definitely want to use birdson card for the second or third week, it is too early to throw away this card. So it makes sense, and maybe Nibali said on the radio he was in total control, no need for supporter

I don't understand the exuberance of Contador supporters and the worry regarding Nibali here. He was glued to Contador's wheel on a very nasty albeit short ascent until the last few meters while putting time into the other contenders. This is what controlling a race from the point of view of the leader means. He is not a better climber than Contador and never will be and besides Bertie is at Froome level this tour. So what's the problem? Sure that Contador will ride away from him, maybe even on Monday but Nibali has to defend two and a half minutes and speculate every possibility for a surprise. If he's healthy and focused it is doable.

Samson said:
I wonder why Kangert was asked to drop back? Is the team trying to play with two cards? He looked surprisingly good cosidering that he had pretty nasty crash yesterday. Maybe could of been more useful to Nibali. Nibali's finish makes me worry a bit but hopefully there's nothing to worry about.

I suppose he was dropped anyway and then decided to wait for Fuglsang.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
I don't understand the exuberance of Contador supporters and the worry regarding Nibali here. He was glued to Contador's wheel on a very nasty albeit short ascent until the last few meters while putting time into the other contenders. This is what controlling a race from the point of view of the leader means. He is not a better climber than Contador and never will be and besides Bertie is at Froome level this tour. So what's the problem? Sure that Contador will ride away from him, maybe even on Monday but Nibali has to defend two and a half minutes and speculate every possibility for a surprise. If he's healthy and focused it is doable.

they were expecting 09 tour, 11 giro scenario, but has AC ever performed at that level after his ban? Nibali is solid, the 3 seconds is due to gear issue. The only concern I have is he did blow his nose quite a few times in the race. Hope it is not a big issue.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
I had similar view but not monday though, I think things will be decided in the alps. I doubt pynesee will be the deciding factor, by then it might be too late for AC to do gain enough time.

If you know AC right its never to late. He wouldnt be shy of attacking earlier than the last climb (and he could put Rogers og Roche out in the front to make an even ealier attack if needed for the last mountain stages). On the really hard days 2-3 mins can melt away like an icecream on a hot summer day.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Rollthedice said:

Nah, a fully fit Froome would've gained 30 seconds over his rivals on this stage.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
they were expecting 09 tour, 11 giro scenario, but has AC ever performed at that level after his ban? Nibali is solid, the 3 seconds is due to gear issue. The only concern I have is he did blow his nose quite a few times in the race. Hope it is not a big issue.

2012 Vuelta? in Dauphinee he showed again how strong he is. Tactical failure prevented him winning it.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
He might not even be on the podium in Paris by the looks of it...
:confused: :confused: You say this after todays stage? And with the current GC situation? You have to be trolling here. Or the chances you are talking about are the chances that Nibs falls and breaks something or Birdsong gives him that stomach bug of his as a present.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
the_cutter said:
:confused: :confused: You say this after todays stage? And with the current GC situation? You have to be trolling here. Or the chances you are talking about are the chances that Nibs falls and breaks something or Birdsong gives him that stomach bug of his as a present.

although the chance of getting stomach bug is much much bigger than falling off the bike.:D They should quarantine Birdsong:eek: Birdsong looks absolutely fine just yesterday as a guest on the lemond show

May 19, 2011
Visit site
It was cold, but the bad weather was not a problem for me,” Nibali said.“I didn’t tell Kangert to wait for Fugslang but Scarponi was there with me. I had Scarponi right behind me, I wasn’t alone. Maybe you should talk to directors Martinelli or Schefer to discuss this question. My team was working hard during the whole day and at the end, we had Scarponi there with me. After Alberto attacked, it was me that followed. I didn’t have a problem. It’s just that the attack was very hard.”

Nibali was asked who was probably the happiest on Saturday evening: himself, Porte or Contador? “I don’t know, Contador grabbed three seconds today. It wasn’t the kind of arrival that suited me. In that sort of steep climb in the Vuelta, I lost a lot more, so I’m a lot happier.

some rift between him and sport director? He was very pleased with the stage.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Birdsong looks absolutely fine just yesterday as a guest on the lemond show
Yeah, I'm not entirely convinced about that illness story. Seems pretty convenient, sparing his blushes, etc. But on the other hand, calling down Kangert to pace him makes only sense if they are sure that he will improve. Yet, Scarponi didn't drop down to help them. It's muddled. We'll see on Monday / after the first rest day.

maxmartin said:
although the chance of getting stomach bug is much much bigger than falling off the bike.:D
Well, Talansky could decide to take him out, going for a hattrick of take-outs and all. #KeepAndrewOnHisBike :D

maxmartin said:
It was cold, but the bad weather was not a problem for me,” Nibali said.“I didn’t tell Kangert to wait for Fugslang but Scarponi was there with me. I had Scarponi right behind me, I wasn’t alone. Maybe you should talk to directors Martinelli or Schefer to discuss this question. My team was working hard during the whole day and at the end, we had Scarponi there with me. After Alberto attacked, it was me that followed. I didn’t have a problem. It’s just that the attack was very hard.

So no gear problem for Nibs in the end.

maxmartin said:

He couldn't keep up. Full stop. His own words:

It was a very hard 1,800 meters as I’m not a very explosive kind of rider. I was waiting for Alberto Contador's attacks and I wanted to respond to them as best as possible. I’d spent a lot of energy and in the last 100 metres he accelerated a lot,” Nibali said after the stage.

And I know that he mentioned he was in too big of a gear, but the time lost wasn't due to some mechanical issue with his gears as you seem to imply.

TRENDING THREADS