• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 188 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maxmartin said:
I don't think it is planned, it just so happened. Apparently this happened

"Vincenzo Nibali initially headed to the Tour de France podium area after the finish of stage 9 to Mulhouse, perhaps thinking he had to climb on the podium."

I saw that. Made me believe they didn't let it go intentionally! Instead it just happened and they decided to let it happen.

Are there any quotes from Vino around? Haven't heard much out of him.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
maxmartin said:
As a huge Nibali fan , I actually doubt this pic. Did you read the article I posted yesterday. Apparently he only slept one hour before 2012 Tour ITT, because he was so nervous. That is only for the fight of podium position. Imagine this time he is leading the Tour and fighting for the WIN.

Do you mean this one? I loved it. And yes, my guess is that he will sleep. But neither one of us will be able to prove whether he slept or not.;)

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/news/favorite-son-vincenzo-nibali-italys-latest-star_335782

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
There was unintentional hilarity during an interview with Fuglsang today:

Interviewer: And with yourself and Vincenzo obviously high up the GC, that gives you options for tomorrow?

Fuglsang [Turning away]: Hah?

Interviewer: With both yourself and Vincenzo up there, that gives you options for tomorrow?

[Fuglsang climbs onto bus]

SafeBet said:
Birdsong talked to the Italian media this morning and said he was feeling better and that he would use todays stage to further recover from his bad stomach.

Nibali is tired as the whole team, but make no mistake: everybody must feel tired at this point. We're nine days into the race and we have yet to see a rest day. Tomorrow will be about recovery more than anything else. If you have a bad day there might be minutes at stake.

Nibali will be back in Yellow as Gallopin won't hold on especially after yesterday. Contador and maybe Porte could make up some time but Contador seems to think it's all about the third week and will probably only spend a lot of energy if he sees any weakness in Nibali. But then other riders might have their own ideas. If Nibali is good he should not be losing much time to Contador at this stage of the race otherwise he has real problems later.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
dduff442 said:

Interviewer: And with yourself and Vincenzo obviously high up the GC, that gives you options for tomorrow?

Interviewer: With both yourself and Vincenzo up there, that gives you options for tomorrow?

What is his problem? Nibali is the leader of Astana. Sure, Fuglsang has ambitions and is going well, but this and the other interview could be viewed as an open display of disharmony within the team. Nibali is a serious contender, perhaps even the outright favorite right now, and Fuglsang is a a top domestique. He has ridden a great race and has supported Nibali very well, especially on stage 2 and stage 5, but he needs to support Nibali, plain and simple.

When this happened at Sky, Froome was clearly a better climber than Wiggins. When it happened at Astana part 1, Contador clearly the best, but Armstrong was a 7 time TdF champion (at the time).

None of those are present at Astana right now.

What am I missing? They have the TdF within reach and now is not the time to do this.

SafeBet said:
Birdsong talked to the Italian media this morning and said he was feeling better and that he would use todays stage to further recover from his bad stomach.

Nibali is tired as the whole team, but make no mistake: everybody must feel tired at this point. We're nine days into the race and we have yet to see a rest day. Tomorrow will be about recovery more than anything else. If you have a bad day there might be minutes at stake.

That's not a great sign for his ability to withstand the barrage that will surely be coming his way

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
What is his problem? Nibali is the leader of Astana. Sure, Fuglsang has ambitions and is going well, but this and the other interview could be viewed as an open display of disharmony within the team. Nibali is a serious contender, perhaps even the outright favorite right now, and Fuglsang is a a top domestique. He has ridden a great race and has supported Nibali very well, especially on stage 2 and stage 5, but he needs to support Nibali, plain and simple.

When this happened at Sky, Froome was clearly a better climber than Wiggins. When it happened at Astana part 1, Contador clearly the best, but Armstrong was a 7 time TdF champion (at the time).

What am I missing? They have the TdF within reach and now is not the time to do this.

Agree, Fugslang is selfish IMO. If he wants to be on a team that is dedicated entirely to him then go to some Pro Conti team. But until then he needs to get it through his head that Nibali is the leader of Astana and he deserves the full backing and support of everyone on the team.

When you have a rider that has a chance to win the Tour de France and is going up against an Alberto Contador that has been storming race after race all season, then it is not the time to think about your own GC chances. It's the time to get behind the guy that has the best chance.

UpTheRoad said:

You're missing that Birdsong is an egomanic.

dduff442 said:

LMAO ... JF is fucking with the interviewer. It's a dumb set up question and of course that could be an option, albeit an unlikely one.

Some refreshing comments by none other than the guy with whom Nibali had a well publicized row in TdF 2012, Sir Wiggo. Nibali and we all need this before today's showdown.

"I think Nibali will win the Tour, he's my favourite. If he goes as well as he did when he won the Giro last year, if he's got the same condition, I think he's unbeatable."

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I think most rationale thinkers have known all along that his form in last year's Giro was fantastic and almost on par with Froome's work at the tdf, and that if he had that form again that he had a decent chance given his ability to pick up time in other circumstances. Many around here refuse to accept he was that good in the Giro because they feel he had no competition.

I'm still skeptical about whether he is as good as he was in that Giro though

TRENDING THREADS