• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 399 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't get how people believe Nibs to be ready for the Tour. I mean between the Giro and the Tour he has done exactly ZERO races.

Ideal preparation my ass. I mean I know in cycling as of late the strangest things happen but come on this is beyond ludicrous.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Nibali is likely to be better then Contador last year. Not because he's intrinsically better, but because he ended the Giro in better form (and likely slightly less exhausted). In better form, you recover better.
I agree. He gave less during the Giro, than Contador did last year. I believe it was exactly how he intended to, thinking about the Tour, off course.
Would be a huge mistake to write him off or underestimate.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Vincenzo Nibali will work his voodoo on all the other favorites and be the first to complete the double since the late Marco Pantani in 1998. Quintana will be attacked by a condor, Contador will crash out on a cow and Froome will wake up with a horse's head in his bed and be too traumatized to continue. And poor Aru... He never saw that shark coming.

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

damian13ster said:
Red Rick said:
Nibali is likely to be better then Contador last year. Not because he's intrinsically better, but because he ended the Giro in better form (and likely slightly less exhausted). In better form, you recover better.

He won't be better for one simple reason. He is not targeting the Tour......

Party Pooper.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Irondan said:
huge said:
One out... let's see who's the next! :D
Laughing about riders being injured is better saved for private conversation.

Please have some respect for the pro riders that sacrifice their bodies for your spectacle.

I normally would agree with you, but this is a meme and a pretty funny and accurate one so i think it's fine.

And i'm a contador fan so yea :D

Finished one place ahead of Aru. Surely he don't just want to lose time mindlessly, I hope he will be in contention come the Pyrenees. He should be. I have a feeling he will be better than the young blood. I've heard a couple of interviews with Birdsong and altho I know he is biased, Nibble's side, he said he was going very well in the training camps ahead of the Tour. He had a big grin on his face while he said Nibali wanted to try to stay up there the first week. I think he knows what is up.

Irondan said:
huge said:
One out... let's see who's the next! :D
Laughing about riders being injured is better saved for private conversation.

Please have some respect for the pro riders that sacrifice their bodies for your spectacle.

Seriously, I don't see any lack of respect in this case.
Luckily Contador is fine. Some scratches and bruises. Minor injuries and we all had them. I don't think a joke about Nibali's "magic" is in any way unrespectful.

And probably Contador himself would laugh about it.

But I guess people have different views.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Not a good sign. Valverde did the Giro too (and more besides) and he was 3rd.

Though, to be fair, a finish like this is very good for Valverde's characteristics

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
That's not what I meant though, I think we still have a good Nibali in hand. Losing 11' means he just sat up a few meters from the end to save energy considering he's not expected to be at the front at all times with Aru here.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I think he might have even done a bit of work for Aru today. I think he'll be mostly stage hunting. Any technical finishing descents in this year's edition?