• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 412 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
So which Bahrain riders will be working with Nibs next season? Agnoli, Visconti, and Franco are locks I assume. Moreno I've read will be supporting him in the Giro. It wouldn't surprise me to see Boaro and Sivtsov in his group. Colbrelli would be a useful allrounder. Maybe his brother?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

whittashau said:
So which Bahrain riders will be working with Nibs next season? Agnoli, Visconti, and Franco are locks I assume. Moreno I've read will be supporting him in the Giro. It wouldn't surprise me to see Boaro and Sivtsov in his group. Colbrelli would be a useful allrounder. Maybe his brother?
Apparently his Giro team will be formed by Delfino, Visconti, Siutsou, Moreno, Boaro, Agnoli and Navardauskas + a 9th rider.
Source: http://it.blastingnews.com/sport/20...di-nibali-per-il-giro-d-italia-001333575.html

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
whittashau said:
Apparently his Giro team will be formed by Delfino, Visconti, Siutsou, Moreno, Boaro, Agnoli and Navardauskas + a 9th rider.
Source: http://it.blastingnews.com/sport/20...di-nibali-per-il-giro-d-italia-001333575.html

A little light on the climbing side of thing unless Delfino can turn back the years

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

whittashau said:
Mayomaniac said:
whittashau said:

A little light on the climbing side of thing unless Delfino can turn back the years
Yes,, but with Ion riding the Tour they don't have too many other good climbing domestuques that you could add to that team, maybe Jani Brajkovič, but who knows what he can still do as a domestique in a gt...

whittashau said:
Mayomaniac said:
whittashau said:

Well, Scarponi managed...

Sciocco said:
Red Rick said:
Obviously, it's still better than the Giro and the Tour's. I think it's actually the coolest trophy in sports.
Second best for me. Stanley Cup is top.

:ahem:

2012-563-Nibali-640.jpg

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
In the meanwhile, Nibs is trolling nicely a facebook page named "I love Amatori" with his bro and Agnolli. The page is a funny one, joking with all the aspects of cycling (#ciclopatrizi or people spending huge amounts of money on equipment, #ciclononni or old die hard riders, #ciclomale or all Decathlon products, and so on...Funny memes, Strava jokes and so on). He is stealing Kom and his bro taking them after him, in a funny challenge with the page administrator called IlSupremo.
Check it if you like!!!!

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Last year at the Giro, with mediocre opposition, Nibali looked bad until THE MIRACLE.

I think he's done, but he's a big Champion, and he'll want to stick it to Aru. He'll be pumped up. I would not bet against him, because he's aggressive, and somehow circumstances go his way. Without Froome or Quintana, he'll be the man to beat.

If Pinot is at is '15-'16 spring level, now that he's much better at ITT, he can take advantage of the Italian feud. Others may as well. The Giro, I think, will be the best GT of '17. Unless Movistar goes all-out focus on the TdF and defeats Sky. Or Bertie beats them all.

If Vicenzo wins the Giro, he should leave his shoes on the podium, like a wrestler, call it a career, and enjoy the DS role.

Tonton said:
Last year at the Giro, with mediocre opposition, Nibali looked bad until THE MIRACLE.

I think he's done, but he's a big Champion, and he'll want to stick it to Aru. He'll be pumped up. I would not bet against him, because he's aggressive, and somehow circumstances go his way. Without Froome or Quintana, he'll be the man to beat.

If Pinot is at is '15-'16 spring level, now that he's much better at ITT, he can take advantage of the Italian feud. Others may as well. The Giro, I think, will be the best GT of '17. Unless Movistar goes all-out focus on the TdF and defeats Sky. Or Bertie beats them all.

If Vicenzo wins the Giro, he should leave his shoes on the podium, like a wrestler, call it a career, and enjoy the DS role.

No! Even when not in perfect form he finds ways to entertain. Stage 19 of the 2015 Tour, Waterbottle gate later in the year....he's fun to watch when in form as well. He's got more in him.

@Jspear:

This is where we disagree, and I made that same point about Contador: these guys are proven winners, greats, not entertainers. Fun to watch? Yes. But for a rider of his stature, winning is everything. "When not in perfect form", he may win one or even two stages, but finish 5th-8th in the GC: that's rubbish for a guy who won all three GTs. Two stage wins are not offsetting a mediocre GT placing IMO, when you look at the record.

Leave on top. Many riders don't get the chance to leave on their own terms. Nibali has an opportunity to do so after no less than the anniversary Giro. My advice to Vincenzo: make it your only priority, win and say ciao. Make your exit greater than all greats, including Vino ;) .

Tonton said:
@Jspear:

This is where we disagree, and I made that same point about Contador: these guys are proven winners, greats, not entertainers. Fun to watch? Yes. But for a rider of his stature, winning is everything. "When not in perfect form", he may win one or even two stages, but finish 5th-8th in the GC: that's rubbish for a guy who won all three GTs. Two stage wins are not offsetting a mediocre GT placing IMO, when you look at the record.

Leave on top. Many riders don't get the chance to leave on their own terms. Nibali has an opportunity to do so after no less than the anniversary Giro. My advice to Vincenzo: make it your only priority, win and say ciao. Make your exit greater than all greats, including Vino ;) .

He thinks he has four more good years ahead. I just hope Slongo will get it right this Giro and then we'll see.

Rollthedice said:
Tonton said:
@Jspear:

He thinks he has four more good years ahead. I just hope Slongo will get it right this Giro and then we'll see.

I've said it before but I hope that this is his last year focusing on GTs. He can target the double, hopefully win a fifth GT and then in 2018 have a double peak in Spring for the Ardennes (Having done all 4 monuments beforehand) and then for Innsbruck and Lombardia in the Autumn.

TRENDING THREADS