• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 430 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Nibali discussion thread

Gigs_98 said:
I'm a bit worried about tomorrows mtf. He looked really bad today and was lucky the race didn't explode on the last climb. He could lose way over a minute if Piancavallo is raced hard.

That said, it's not over till it's over. Never write off Nibali

Yep, but you can't let Tom Big Mouth go unpunished like that! :lol:

yeah but you can't deny this is bad for Nibali. Today was a day to really put minutes into Dumoulin. Now basically the only minutes he got the entire race on Dumoulin was when the latter had to ***.

That's quite literally an even bigger hurt on his pride than the words after the finish. He will still do something, not tomorrow, but saturday, to either win or die trying.

Both him and Quintana probably thought Dumoulin would have trouble in recovering from the Stelvio stage. And this was the perfect stage to bury him. Didn't happen, so I understand Nibali being upset.

He didn't look particularly good today anyway. The fact so many riders were on the same level tells me it wasn't hard enough for him to make a difference. He's really similar to the old Basso nowadays.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Both him and Quintana probably thought Dumoulin would have trouble in recovering from the Stelvio stage. And this was the perfect stage to bury him. Didn't happen, so I understand Nibali being upset.

He didn't look particularly good today anyway. The fact so many riders were on the same level tells me it wasn't hard enough for him to make a difference. He's really similar to the old Basso nowadays.

On the contrary, I think the stage was simply too hard and killed the legs of everybody. All the attacks were punchless.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
yeah but you can't deny this is bad for Nibali. Today was a day to really put minutes into Dumoulin. Now basically the only minutes he got the entire race on Dumoulin was when the latter had to ****.

That's quite literally an even bigger hurt on his pride than the words after the finish. He will still do something, not tomorrow, but saturday, to either win or die trying.

Sure it's bad, you prepare to defeat Quintana and suddenly you have Froome in the race. With this parcours and his form, Tom looks unbeatable which makes me think what on earth were the organizers thinking when they clearly would have preferred an Italian to win and came up with such a design, 70k TT included. Tom suprised everybody not with his skills and talent, which were showcased in Vuelta but with his endurance over three weeks. But it's not over yet and I think that without Dumoulin's exceptional performance, Vincenzo can beat Quintana.

Re:

bassano said:
Why you even react for such Nirvana posts, you can´t clearly explain to him that Quintana is not able to put minute on every rider on every hard stage and it is not because of bad performance
It is like if you want to explain to Portugal11, that if Nibali won 4 GT´s and did podium on another several ones, it can not be only due to luck, it is just waste of time and in this case is even little offtopic, pozzovivo always have been competitive in Giro, ofc he is not top GC rider but always among best and always you must count with him
just hope that today we will see nice action in dolomiti and Quintana with Nibali iwll not wait for last uphill to do serious attack
I don't expect the minutes flowing every stage but giving that Quintana is clearly the best climber in the race if he's in form he should be able to make the difference and drop everyone else in the hardest stages if he wants.
But also Nibali should be able to drop at least the likes of Pozzovivo and Zakarin and also today they try but they can't and at the end they only control Dumoulin with the result that in the finale everyone go away.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
yeah but you can't deny this is bad for Nibali. Today was a day to really put minutes into Dumoulin. Now basically the only minutes he got the entire race on Dumoulin was when the latter had to ****.

Sure it's bad, you prepare to defeat Quintana and suddenly you have Froome in the race. With this parcours and his form, Tom looks unbeatable which makes me think what on earth were the organizers thinking when they clearly would have preferred an Italian to win and came up with such a design, 70k TT included. Tom suprised everybody not with his skills and talent, which were showcased in Vuelta but with his endurance over three weeks. But it's not over yet and I think that without Dumoulin's exceptional performance, Vincenzo can beat Quintana.
The route is perfect. The riders just need to adapt. It's a learning process. With an oldschool route the climbers need to be in full peak shape and they need to go on long-range attacks in the mountains to stress out the tt guy or at least win the mountains jersey as the best climber in the race. I prefer that 90s style of racing over the Tour any time. Even if once for all this years Tour gonna be more exciting than the Giro has been.

Rollthedice said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

It's not hard to understand what the organisers were thinking: They weren't expecting Super Tom any more than the riders were so they set up a route that would allow Nibali to be competitive with any more likely rivals. As you say yourself, this is a parcours where the home favourite could reasonably beat Quintana.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
#Giro100 - Nibali: "Dumoulin was lucky, we did the climb strong, we attacked, after the top there was a little valley so he could re-enter"

And Nibali says dumoulin is cocky. That's rich with these words.
lol. Lucky old Dumoulin; actually looking at the race profile and using it to ride to his strengths. Nibali's ego has obviously been badly spiked by the remarks; will be interesting to see if he can use the anger wisely or not.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
#Giro100 - Nibali: "Dumoulin was lucky, we did the climb strong, we attacked, after the top there was a little valley so he could re-enter"

And Nibali says dumoulin is cocky. That's rich with these words.
I can not find this quote, could you link the source please?

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Its just that it isn't even true. Dumoulin returned already before the top. Not in the valley thereafter.
I'm reading here on CN a completely different version:

Dumoulin was fortunate today. Our tactic and Movistar's was ideal: We sent our teammates up the road and we made a strong attack on the Passo Gardena, but the descent didn't come straight away and he was able to close the gap,"

Rollthedice said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Its just that it isn't even true. Dumoulin returned already before the top. Not in the valley thereafter.
I'm reading here on CN a completely different version:

Dumoulin was fortunate today. Our tactic and Movistar's was ideal: We sent our teammates up the road and we made a strong attack on the Passo Gardena, but the descent didn't come straight away and he was able to close the gap,"

Then the tactics weren't ideal, since they had not studied the profile properly.

"There are still two mountains and a time trial, so we're still a long way from Milan," Dumoulin warned.

"I lost it all on the last big day at the Vuelta in 2015 and so I know that you can lose a lot on a bad day. I was strong today but maybe not tomorrow. I believe in myself but I have doubts also. I'm just trying to look at things from a positive side. It's been good so far…"

The last part of Dumoulin answer.

I don't think Dumoulin was cocky, but confident. People sometimes confuse those terms, but they are quite different.

TRENDING THREADS