• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 490 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Brullnux said:
Yeah, and even if Henao didn't have a gap at the bottom Nibali could've atatcked on the flat and just powered away. Besides, Henao isn't exactly the greatest sprinter in the world when the road is flat.
That's the most likely scenario. He would never have waited for the sprint.

But as I said many times, it was his mistake. He didn't need to risk that much during the descent.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

tobydawq said:
I think it was a brother joke in the Antonio versus Vincenzo mould...

By the way, Valverde would have a much bigger chance than Nibali to do well in Flanders, amongst other reasons because he is capable of riding well without it either being in a GT or in the Italian fall races.

Please tell me more.

Re: Re:

SafeBet said:
Brullnux said:
Yeah, and even if Henao didn't have a gap at the bottom Nibali could've atatcked on the flat and just powered away. Besides, Henao isn't exactly the greatest sprinter in the world when the road is flat.
That's the most likely scenario. He would never have waited for the sprint.

But as I said many times, it was his mistake. He didn't need to risk that much during the descent.

The only other rider in that group was Mijka who was definitely not beating him in a sprint.

Re:

Carols said:
What is obvious after going through the last few pages is that Nibali Still Doesn't Get the Respect he has so thoroughly earned! What a shame :(

Don't worry my friend - The haters keep underestimating him, but then Nibs silence them with a big win. ;)
See, Nibs-like all the greats- wins big when matters & with panache above and beyond- like this MSR: attacking from the Poggio, going all the way to the line "solo" - the "how" is what is written in history- the way he won is what makes him one of the greats in the sport :)

El Pistolero said:
tobydawq said:

By the way, Valverde would have a much bigger chance than Nibali to do well in Flanders, amongst other reasons because he is capable of riding well without it either being in a GT or in the Italian fall races.

Please tell me more.

He proved me wrong.

See?

No shame in reneging on something you've said that turned out to be wrong.

However, he hadn't been riding well outside those races in the past years. Good to see him turn that around.

I could also tell a story about MSR being the race you can win without being at the top of your game, when the Italian motos are being a little too interested in photographing your face, but it was impressive that he won and I am very, very happy Ewan didn't.

tobydawq said:
El Pistolero said:
tobydawq said:

Please tell me more.

He proved me wrong.

See?

No shame in reneging on something you've said that turned out to be wrong.

However, he hadn't been riding well outside those races in the past years. Good to see him turn that around.

I could also tell a story about MSR being the race you can win without being at the top of your game, when the Italian motos are being a little too interested in photographing your face, but it was impressive that he won and I am very, very happy Ewan didn't.

Well MSR is still an Italian race, just not a fall race.

However, still congrats to Nibali on this win.

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20180317_03414745

"I've never been to the Ronde, I mostly want to learn and experience the passion of the fans. It's important not to crash. Liege-Bastogne-Liege is a different story"

"I've always liked riding on the cobbles. As a kid Paris-Roubaix was my favorite race, but I don't think I have the right morphology to win it. There's more opportunities for me in de Ronde. Riding it this year is important for me to decide if I'm coming back to ride for the win in the future."

Re:

Red Rick said:

"I've never been to the Ronde, I mostly want to learn and experience the passion of the fans. It's important not to crash. Liege-Bastogne-Liege is a different story"

"I've always liked riding on the cobbles. As a kid Paris-Roubaix was my favorite race, but I don't think I have the right morphology to win it. There's more opportunities for me in de Ronde. Riding it this year is important for me to decide if I'm coming back to ride for the win in the future."

“I remember what Giancarlo Ferretti told me when I first turned professional with Fassa Bortolo. The first two times you race an event, maximum three, you got to see how it is, and then the fourth time, you go to win. That’s what Ferretti said,”

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:

“I remember what Giancarlo Ferretti told me when I first turned professional with Fassa Bortolo. The first two times you race an event, maximum three, you got to see how it is, and then the fourth time, you go to win. That’s what Ferretti said,”

Interesting, and I keep hearing that esp in regards to many of the one day races, yet Valverde won both Fleche Wallone and Liege in his 2nd attempt at both. Why couldn't Nibali win Flanders in his 2nd attempt at it IF he's comfortable with the course and race?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Koronin said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:

Interesting, and I keep hearing that esp in regards to many of the one day races, yet Valverde won both Fleche Wallone and Liege in his 2nd attempt at both. Why couldn't Nibali win Flanders in his 2nd attempt at it IF he's comfortable with the course and race?

Because the Ardennes classics are uphill sprints that require little experience or tactical nous. Just look at Gaviria that won four Giro stages and the points jersey in his first GT.

The Ronde van Vlaanderen on the other hand is a real bike race.

Re:

the asian said:
Just hoping for a rainy LBL !

Will be interesting to see how peaks during the year.

Has three other big targets, LBL, Tour and Worlds. Not easy to peak for all three.

If it's a sunny LBL it's Valverde's, if it's rainy it's much more open.

Three peaks is extremely difficult to do. Valverde has been really the only one to consistently do that for the past many years. Peak for the Ardennes, then the Tour, then the Vuelta and hold that peak for the Worlds. This year he's actually planning on two peaks like he was wanting to do last year. Peak for the Ardennes, and then peak for the Vuelta and hold it through the Worlds.

It will definitely be interesting to see what Nibali can do with attempting 3 peaks in a season. Don't know if he's tried it before and if he has, it's been awhile.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
12ccfc56-2ae1-11e8-9f99-07f39f9058f9_web_scale_0.5912162_0.5912162__.jpg

A real bike race which a 20 or 21 y/o Tiesj Benoot finished 5th in his first try? Mind, RvV is my favourite race, but come on. Your Valverde-bashing is pretty boring at this point...

I think Nibali in this kind of shape can do really well in his first try, its a big dealbreaker for especially him. The only reason I was sceptic about it was his shape - when in shape, he has the tools to top-5 in his first try. No doubt in my mind.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Its kind of funny that Nibali probably will end of with quite a better palmarés and career than Contador - Contador was certainly the more talented rider, although he obviously lacks something in the one racing apartment, but Nibali is the kind of rider who just maximises what he gets out of his talent. Incredible. Objectively, he probably also has a better palmarés than Valverde at this point - altho I think still Valverde is the better rider! ;)
Because Nibali is a better all around rider than Contador. Contador was probably a superior climber and TT rider, but lacked Nibali's bike handling and courage. Winning 3 monuments with 0 sprinting ability is an amazing result.
Who has won so much with no sprint?

In the past 30 years, here are the riders who have won at least 3:
Boonen
Cancellara
Museeuw
Bartoli
Bettini
Zabel
Valverde
Gilbert
Tchmill
Tafi
Van Petegem
Freire
Cunego
Nibali

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
A real bike race which a 20 or 21 y/o Tiesj Benoot finished 5th in his first try? Mind, RvV is my favourite race, but come on. Your Valverde-bashing is pretty boring at this point...

I think Nibali in this kind of shape can do really well in his first try, its a big dealbreaker for especially him. The only reason I was sceptic about it was his shape - when in shape, he has the tools to top-5 in his first try. No doubt in my mind.

Fifth is a long way off winning a race.

TRENDING THREADS