• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 492 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Rollthedice said:
SafeBet said:
Rollthedice said:
One can only imagine what would've happened if God gave him just 80% of Valverde's ability to sprint.
He probably would have evolved into a rider waiting for the sprint in most races.

I wouldn't be so sure. He has a different mentality, maybe old school romantic warrior. I don't think a better sprint would've turned him into a passive rider, unless his personality would've changed

This, the man has Panache and rides with the heart and grinta. A sprint would have made him even more deadly :)

Re: Re:

Carols said:
King Boonen said:
So funny to see people are still claiming Nibali wins because he is lucky. He's the greatest bike racer since Hinault.

WOW that's a statement, History will decide. He is definitely the best all-rounder in the current peloton.

It's very irksome people still put it down to luck......

I'll stand by it. Unless it's a flat sprint he is a threat in any race he lines up in. No one since Hinault has been able to do that.

I just find it funny :D

Re:

Billie said:
Maybe not since Hinault if you consider Kelly coming post Hinault but definatly the best cyclist since the change of era's which was the early 90's when LeMond started the all out focussing on specific races and EPO made it's way into cycling.

I know it is a wrong thread for this post, but do you really think he's better than Indurain and Contador? I think not. Also it is debatable if he's better than Bettini, Cancellara, Boonen and Valverde. I'd put them in the same league...

This is pretty good for Nibali. He already pretty much made his season with this win :D

Takes the pressure off from him and he can just keep focusing on his targets. I also like the trend he is on. 2nd Vuelta (will be listed as a win soon?), Lombardia and now MSR. Some races in between where he was just solid, but I think that is good.

Hopefully he can keep riding in harmony and get through Flanders without any trouble and then put in a big effort in LBL. Then get ready for TDF.

Salvarani said:
This is pretty good for Nibali. He already pretty much made his season with this win :D

Takes the pressure off from him and he can just keep focusing on his targets. I also like the trend he is on. 2nd Vuelta (will be listed as a win soon?), Lombardia and now MSR. Some races in between where he was just solid, but I think that is good.

Hopefully he can keep riding in harmony and get through Flanders without any trouble and then put in a big effort in LBL. Then get ready for TDF.

I’m sure he won’t care about the 2017 Vuelta. You have to win it out on the road. But back to this year, perfect start. It would be amazing if he can find just a little more form than last year. He’d be a real big threat at the Tour.

Jspear said:
Salvarani said:

I’m sure he won’t care about the 2017 Vuelta. You have to win it out on the road. But back to this year, perfect start. It would be amazing if he can find just a little more form than last year. He’d be a real big threat at the Tour.

I was more talking about the trend/consistency in good results when refering to the Vuelta followed by Lombardia and MSR, but fair enough. I understand what you mean. Nibali already onto the next one :D

Re:

italoc said:
A funny thing is that while it is true that Nibali won a lot of races he shouldn't have won (i.e. where you could argue he wasn't the strongest) - Vuelta 2010, Tirreno 2013, Giro 2016, possibly even Lombardia 2015 - at the same time he lost races where he seemed the strongest: Liege 2012 (debatable), Vuelta and Florence 2015, Rio 2016. So I find the overachiever argument a bit silly: he has proved his talent multiple times in different races, and you could even say that he should have won more than he actually did!
Yes, it’s very simple. Nibali is both an underachiever and an overachiever. He has had to work very hard with all his god-given talents only to lose out to negative tactics and weaker riders, and at the same time his luck and sneakiness have combined with his skills as a bike rider to give him all his big wins over stronger opponents.

I think it all comes down to his TdF win. He rode brilliantly throughout, but the fact that Froome and Contador crashed out means it’s diminished in many people’s eyes. Given his successes since (3 monuments, another Giro, multiple GT stage wins and podiums) I think you have to reassess and say that if anything, he was unlucky the other 2 didn’t finish the race that year.

King Boonen said:
Billie said:
Maybe not since Hinault if you consider Kelly coming post Hinault but definatly the best cyclist since the change of era's which was the early 90's when LeMond started the all out focussing on specific races and EPO made it's way into cycling.
He’s better than Kelly. Just, but better.

AGREE

But not better than Indurain or Contador, IMO. History will decide.

I read many comments about how Nibs is "overachiever".. Guy is (at his day) top 3 climber and 2nd best TT rider (well, TomD only came last year as a top GT rider if we add that he is the best descender and tactic master with this skills, he deserves his palmares, and maybe even more. He may not have the Valv sprint and amazing consistency or Contador/Schleck climbing talent, but he is the most complete rider in our era. Heck, he can even ride cobbles.

Carols said:
King Boonen said:
Billie said:

AGREE

For Vincenzo history is still in the making.

Rollthedice said:
Carols said:
King Boonen said:
Billie said:

AGREE

For Vincenzo history is still in the making.

And may he write (ride) his history Large! Forza Vince!

Re:

YavorD said:
I read many comments about how Nibs is "overachiever".. Guy is (at his day) top 3 climber and 2nd best TT rider (well, TomD only came last year as a top GT rider if we add that he is the best descender and tactic master with this skills, he deserves his palmares, and maybe even more. He may not have the Valv sprint and amazing consistency or Contador/Schleck climbing talent, but he is the most complete rider in our era. Heck, he can even ride cobbles.
Probably he deserves but it's impossible to not point at the fact that all the GTs he won was because the strongest rider in the race crashed out, maybe we can argue about Giro 2013 because we didn't know the real shape of Wiggins but the year before at the Tour was destroyed by him in TTs and dropped even in MTF at La Planche des Belles Filles and Peyragudes. And his crashes in one day races hardly compensates that.

Anyway I think Nibali is both overrated and underrated in some ways, he's overrated as a GT rider, as a descender, probably even as a climber because in monoclimb stages can be dropped by more than ten riders but on the other hand he's also underrated as a classic rider, as a time trialist and as a diesel rider that probably is his top skill, after an hard and long race he could drop everyone even on a murito where after a 150 km soft pedaled stage there are twenty riders that could drop him.

*A* favourite for Innsbruck. Too much “what if” in a one day race, too much racing between now and then, and too many other possible contenders. And all based on the one result so far this season. 2 week’s ago would we have suggested Benoot , Bardet or Van Aert as Worlds favourite s?

italoc said:
A funny thing is that while it is true that Nibali won a lot of races he shouldn't have won (i.e. where you could argue he wasn't the strongest) - Vuelta 2010, Tirreno 2013, Giro 2016, possibly even Lombardia 2015 - at the same time he lost races where he seemed the strongest: Liege 2012 (debatable), Vuelta and Florence 2015, Rio 2016. So I find the overachiever argument a bit silly: he has proved his talent multiple times in different races, and you could even say that he should have won more than he actually did!

Well... I think we all remember what happened.

TRENDING THREADS