• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 519 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I am not as optimistic, I think ending the Tour in top 3 would be a great result and then hopefully he can go for the worlds. Like many users pointed out Nibs team is rubbish compared to other GC contenders. You can win the Giro with a bad team but to win the Tour you need a good team especially when Sky is in it.
I am all for Nibs but I see him being on in his own too many times in future stages and that in the end will be too much.

Re: Re:

Laplaz said:
SafeBet said:
On a side note, the legend Antonio Nibali has just won his first professional race :D
Finally :D i honestly thought it would never happen :p
I have to say though, Antonio could still become a very decent rider. Ofc nowhere near as good as his brother but he hit his peak relatively late too so I can still imagine Antonio improving for one or two more years. And although the field surely isn't great, the Österreichrundfahrt isn't the smallest race out there either.

Re:

Brullnux said:
I don't think the team is that bad. Pozzo was in the second group up at the Mur de Bretagne so looks good, and Ion and Gorka are both very good.

3 riders vs Sky, Movistar and BMC. I still don´t get what Koren is doing in France this july while Mohoric and Visconti dominate in Austria. Haussler is struggling since his crash and Colbrelli is doing his own thing. I really hope that Pelizotti is peaking in the 3rd week again.
The climbing support is good and honestly I think only Movistar will be stronger in the mountains but on flat and hilly stages it´s really lacking. Nibali is great when it comes to positioning. While other riders like Porte, Quintana or Landa would be lost without a train he somehow is able to do it by himself but a little bit more protection on the final kms wouldn`t hurt.

Re: Re:

skippo12 said:
Brullnux said:
I don't think the team is that bad. Pozzo was in the second group up at the Mur de Bretagne so looks good, and Ion and Gorka are both very good.

3 riders vs Sky, Movistar and BMC. I still don´t get what Koren is doing in France this july while Mohoric and Visconti dominate in Austria. Haussler is struggling since his crash and Colbrelli is doing his own thing. I really hope that Pelizotti is peaking in the 3rd week again.
The climbing support is good and honestly I think only Movistar will be stronger in the mountains but on flat and hilly stages it´s really lacking. Nibali is great when it comes to positioning. While other riders like Porte, Quintana or Landa would be lost without a train he somehow is able to do it by himself but a little bit more protection on the final kms wouldn`t hurt.
Colbrelli has helped out Nibali, and it's pretty expected that he's be allowed to sprint in flat stages that hold no issues. Ion and Gorka are both excellent in hilly stages (of which there are very few) and flat stages have basically ended, so far with little issues (apart from the ttt). Unless Nibali takes the yellow jersey soon, there should also be no need to control the race.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
46&twoWheels said:
https://twitter.com/SammyHeraldSun/status/1018062663803269120

the Australian Sybil has spoken:

“It’s my World Cup final. On TV it will be the most exciting stage there’s ever been at @LeTour - I expect a lot of GC guys, their Tour will be over tomorrow.

O yes

Don't really know what to think about today. The lack of support was ridiculous and he basically had to position himself on his own all the time, was never anywhere near the front at the beginning of the sectors and had to close some big gaps on his own. At the end of the stage he looked really spent so I should probably be happy that he didn't have any mishaps because that could have ended his gc ambitions. Still it feels like a wasted opportunity and it's just disappointing that he couldn't even give it a try.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I don’t think it’s clear to say which GC riders were best or better than him. I think Tom looked the strongest and Valverde looked strong but he also had his team position him well allday. Nibbles on the other hand seemed basically alone

He had zero support. Pozzo was the only Bahrain rider who finished with the same time.
Nibali had to do everything by himself. At some point he had 5 teammates in group of 30 rider...no one was close to him or tried to protect him...get him in a better position.
Bahrain is a joke...Haussler and Koren were no shows again, Colbrelli was taken out by van Garderen.
At 80km to go I thought he would lose a lot of time today so I am happy that he finished with the front group.
Pelizotti was their 3rd best rider on the cobbles...Izagirres were nowhere to be seen after the crash.

TRENDING THREADS