• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 539 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Climbing said:
Let's see, it's true that he worked a lot during the breakaway, so probably was more about training than trying to win the stage.
Still it looks far from ready :D

To be honest I'm starting to think he will be ready in time, not last year's Lombardia shape but maybe 2015. Good use of his race instinct, some luck after this nightmare, a strong dedicated team with a clear vision and he's there alone starting the final climb in Innsbruck with a 35 sec. advantage chased by a group of five riders. Will it be enough? Tune in on 30th of September for the outcome.

"Despite the time trial effort, I had good legs. Going away was not easy, the first hour went off very fast even though there was a climb right away. In the end it's a good day for morale."

"Believe me, I have experience and I try to play down my situation but it's not easy. Indeed, it is very difficult. Day by day, I'm getting better but I'm putting a lot of patience on it. I'm struggling a lot to find my pedal stroke."

Re: Re:

Climbing said:
ppanther92 said:
Oliver said:
these steep walls are not his thing

Which is not overly good, considering the profile of the Worlds... :D

They are not his thing only when it's not an endurance race.
So if fitness is there shouldn't be a problem for the Worlds.

Big IF.
Exactly. Hills like the Poggio aren't his terrain in a 150 km stage either but somehow he is one of the best in the world on that climb after almost 300 km. Endurance is a big factor and nobody will really be explosive come the final climb in Innsbruck

Re:

Rollthedice said:
"Despite the time trial effort, I had good legs. Going away was not easy, the first hour went off very fast even though there was a climb right away. In the end it's a good day for morale."

"Believe me, I have experience and I try to play down my situation but it's not easy. Indeed, it is very difficult. Day by day, I'm getting better but I'm putting a lot of patience on it. I'm struggling a lot to find my pedal stroke."
Does Slongo have another crank length in the locker?

Sestriere said:
Rollthedice said:

The magic will take place between the end of Vuelta and the WC.

"I can't say I'm in super form now, but I expect that the week after the Vuelta will be very important to reach almost 100 per cent top condition."

Rollthedice said:
Sestriere said:
Rollthedice said:

"I can't say I'm in super form now, but I expect that the week after the Vuelta will be very important to reach almost 100 per cent top condition."
Do you think that he will ride the TTT?

Sestriere said:
Rollthedice said:
Sestriere said:
Rollthedice said:

Do you think that he will ride the TTT?

Worlds? No.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Frankly, is he really gonna build enough form to be a genuine contender for the rainbow jersey?

Not sure if he knows, we certainly have no idea. Hope and patience. Certainly the situation is different after the accident and surgery but it's not something new for him to be close to total crap and in two weeks time to find his usual self.

We are in the last weekend of the Vuelta and there are still dozen of riders that easily drop him when the road starts to go up, today a crashed Aru with high fever finished ten minutes in front of him, De Marchi (one that Italians would call "onesto mestierante") looked like a moto compared with him.
On the Italian forum some users are citing Dauphine 2014 and Tirreno this year but in that cases he was dropped by 5/10 riders, not dozen, he's even worse that Dauphine this year that was a month away from Alps in the Tour.
With this level if some nations decides to go with a vigorous pace from the beginning to make the race hard he'll be dropped with Sagan in the first lap.

Maybe he's a genius and he's faking that horrible shape. The strange thing it's Cassani silence, usually he's one that speaks a lot about his team.

Re:

Nirvana said:
We are in the last weekend of the Vuelta and there are still dozen of riders that easily drop him when the road starts to go up, today a crashed Aru with high fever finished ten minutes in front of him, De Marchi (one that Italians would call "onesto mestierante") looked like a moto compared with him.
On the Italian forum some users are citing Dauphine 2014 and Tirreno this year but in that cases he was dropped by 5/10 riders, not dozen, he's even worse that Dauphine this year that was a month away from Alps in the Tour.
With this level if some nations decides to go with a vigorous pace from the beginning to make the race hard he'll be dropped with Sagan in the first lap.

Maybe he's a genius and he's faking that horrible shape. The strange thing it's Cassani silence, usually he's one that speaks a lot about his team.

Cassani is in fact tranquillo. He fully trusts Vincenzo and he said a few days ago that he doesn't think Nibali will win a stage in Vuelta. He said that even if he's at only 90% he can still make a difference in a one day race. The situation is not ideal but I wouldn't say it's all doom and gloom.

no-panic-on-the-titanic.png

Rollthedice said:
Nirvana said:

Cassani is in fact tranquillo. He fully trusts Vincenzo and he said a few days ago that he doesn't think Nibali will win a stage in Vuelta. He said that even if he's at only 90% he can still make a difference in a one day race. The situation is not ideal but I wouldn't say it's all doom and gloom.
Nibali at 90% of form would have finished in the first 15 yesterday even in the worst case scenario, the stage wasn't good for him considering the Pierre Saint Martin like profile but the field is not really good.
He isn't even near 50% at the moment (bar hiding himself) and this evening Cassani should reveal the list for the WC if i understood correctly what i've read on the italian forum.

Nirvana said:
Rollthedice said:
Nirvana said:

Nibali at 90% of form would have finished in the first 15 yesterday even in the worst case scenario, the stage wasn't good for him considering the Pierre Saint Martin like profile but the field is not really good.
He isn't even near 50% at the moment (bar hiding himself) and this evening Cassani should reveal the list for the WC if i understood correctly what i've read on the italian forum.

On Monday, press conference also showing the official jerseys of the team.

TRENDING THREADS