• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 560 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Hopefully those **** first two weeks of the Giro will make the legs less heavy by the time the Tour rolls around.

Giro for the win Tour for the show. Can't see him being 100% competitive in both but who knows? Some McLaren magik? Oh, and he wants to defend MSR title.
All that needs to happen for Nibali to lose Sanremo is for one 1 out of say 40 dudes to get the vague idea that being on Nibali's wheel might be a decent idea on the Poggio.

Not quite sure what to think about the Tour, chances to win are slim, if he's coming off a Giro, even putting up a show would be hard, and the route isn't great for him.

What's he gonna do? Hope Mohoric and Dennis limit his TTT losses, attack Galibier descent, then what?

And I don't think it's great for the last few months of the year.

Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Hopefully those **** first two weeks of the Giro will make the legs less heavy by the time the Tour rolls around.

Giro for the win Tour for the show. Can't see him being 100% competitive in both but who knows? Some McLaren magik? Oh, and he wants to defend MSR title.
All that needs to happen for Nibali to lose Sanremo is for one 1 out of say 40 dudes to get the vague idea that being on Nibali's wheel might be a decent idea on the Poggio.

Not quite sure what to think about the Tour, chances to win are slim, if he's coming off a Giro, even putting up a show would be hard, and the route isn't great for him.

What's he gonna do? Hope Mohoric and Dennis limit his TTT losses, attack Galibier descent, then what?

At a first look the Giro/Tour double is dumb. I don't think that right now he is the type of rider who can keep it up at the highest level for two consecutive GTs. On the other hand he has to do the Tour, publicity, sponsors need it, he needs a new contract preferably with TBM. I really hope he will focus 100% on the Giro and go to the Tour to sign autographs, troll Sky as much as possible and see how long he can keep it up.

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:

At a first look the Giro/Tour double is dumb. I don't think that right now he is the type of rider who can keep it up at the highest level for two consecutive GTs. On the other hand he has to do the Tour, publicity, sponsors need it, he needs a new contract preferably with TBM. I really hope he will focus 100% on the Giro and go to the Tour to sign autographs, troll Sky as much as possible and see how long he can keep it up.
Are we gonna see Nibali randomly work with Dumoulin so Dumoulin can say "I hope this guy finishes on the podium with me" :eek:

He made the announcement in English, he is making some progress the way he speaks and he said that "Giro d'Italia is the first". I found another quote on eurosport Italy online which is more specific: "I will ride the Giro d'Italia and the Tour de France. But I have no doubt which of the two is the most important: I want to win the third Giro."

Re:

dastott said:
Favourite for the Giro, unless Big Tom decides to ride?
Don't think there is a standout favorite unless Dumoulin rides.

Nibali hasn't shown GT wrecking shape since the last week of the 2016 Giro.
Bernal is a question mark in regards to where him improving leads to as early as the 2019 Giro.
How that stacks up to Yates is a question mark.

Re:

rick james said:
What makes him favourite for the giro if Thomas also goes to the giro? Do you believe he would have won this year Tour if he didn’t have the fall?
Very creative interpretation considering Thomas has pretty much stated with near certainty he'll go for the Tour.

No, Nibali probably wouldn't have won the Tour without the crash, but there's no denying Thomas would've been under more pressure with Nibali there, though he was still the very likely winner.

If anything the bigger hypothetical is what would've happened if Froome and Dumoulin wouldn't have lost time in the first week. Whatever. Coulda woulda shoulda don't matter. Thomas won the Tour. That would no doubt make him one of the favorites for the Giro. If that would make him the #1 favorite there I don't know, cause I think that would also depends on what team he gets in support.

The giro route next year suits Nibali significantly better than this years tour route where after the alps there really only was one stage left where he could have had a big impact on the race. So considering how Nibali looked last year that shape actually might have been enough to put up a fight against Thomas in last years shape if the playing field was the 2019 giro. But yeah that's really hypothetical as Thomas probably won't be his main rival come may. From sky I see Bernal as the most dangerous man since if his development continues at last years rate might as well be the best climber in the world next season which would automatically make him a favorite.

I'd say Nibali has a decent shot at winning his 3rd giro but he definitely isn't the outstanding favorite or anything like that. It really all depends on who his opponents are.

Gigs_98 said:
The giro route next year suits Nibali significantly better than this years tour route where after the alps there really only was one stage left where he could have had a big impact on the race. So considering how Nibali looked last year that shape actually might have been enough to put up a fight against Thomas in last years shape if the playing field was the 2019 giro. But yeah that's really hypothetical as Thomas probably won't be his main rival come may. From sky I see Bernal as the most dangerous man since if his development continues at last years rate might as well be the best climber in the world next season which would automatically make him a favorite.

I'd say Nibali has a decent shot at winning his 3rd giro but he definitely isn't the outstanding favorite or anything like that. It really all depends on who his opponents are.
No way Bernal makes another leap like this year, but he doesn't really need to. I think he's quite close to peaking already and most improvements from here on will be about improving weaknesses than making major leaps in climbing ability.

Real question is what he could've done with his Tour shape as a leader in the first place.

Nibali could be the favorite depending on which GC riders go.

I would expect Bernal to be the GC rider for Sky as I expect both Froome and Thomas to go to the Tour without the Giro.

Dumoulin and Yates are big questions.

Does Quickstep send Mas?

Which GC rider(s) is Movistar sending? As of right now it sounds possible that it'll be Valverde and Landa.

Speaking of the whole team Bauhaus must be the one most dissapointed about this news of Nibali riding the Giro. With Colbrelli riding the Tour the Giro should have finally given him a grand tour chance again. Now it will likely be all for Nibali in the Giro with Bauhaus having to wait for the Vuelta, likely not suiting him much. I suppose both Pozzovivo and Caruso will now also be used as helpers in the Giro a long with helpers like (Pernsteiner, Koren, Tratnik, A. Nibali and perhaps Agnoli) and then with the 2 getting their own chance to lead in the Vuelta while riders like Colbrelli, Teuns and Dennis will then ride the TDF for stages besides Nibali. The most interesting thing will likely be if Mohoric will also be needed to help in the Giro also or if he can now get a very free role in the Tour instead.

Re:

Koronin said:
Nibali could be the favorite depending on which GC riders go.

I would expect Bernal to be the GC rider for Sky as I expect both Froome and Thomas to go to the Tour without the Giro.

Dumoulin and Yates are big questions.

Does Quickstep send Mas?

Which GC rider(s) is Movistar sending? As of right now it sounds possible that it'll be Valverde and Landa.
Dumoulin and his team said Tour immediately after the Giro route came out. Since then, Dumoulin has backtracked and said they'll disclose it at the team presentation on January 4th.

Lefevre said Mas would go to the Giro in 2019 just after the Vuelta this year.

Yates has mostly been talking about the Giro for 2019, though in his case he might skip the best shot at the Tour he'll ever get.

Dumoulin focusing entirely on the Giro would be the outstanding favorite, but with 2020 perhaps having additional focus on the Olympics and the Worlds, and Dumoulin also wanting to take a proper crack at the Ardennes, it seems to me now is the time to have a completely Tour centric season, both for Dumoulin and his sponsors. That said, he loves the Giro more than the Tour.

I also think Dumoulin has an easier time getting into perfect shape for July. He has trouble shedding weight early in the year and assuming the same power output he could possibly reach a higher level in the Tour than in the Giro.

Dumoulin's current conundrum is why I don't understand their decision for this year's schedule at all. He had a very good year, but the schedule was so self limiting it wasn't funny at all. It's almost the worst schedule he could've had if he aimed to win major races.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

MADRAZO said:
Speaking of the whole team Bauhaus must be the one most dissapointed about this news of Nibali riding the Giro. With Colbrelli riding the Tour the Giro should have finally given him a grand tour chance again. Now it will likely be all for Nibali in the Giro with Bauhaus having to wait for the Vuelta, likely not suiting him much. I suppose both Pozzovivo and Caruso will now also be used as helpers in the Giro a long with helpers like (Pernsteiner, Koren, Tratnik, A. Nibali and perhaps Agnoli) and then with the 2 getting their own chance to lead in the Vuelta while riders like Colbrelli and Teuns will then ride the TDF for stages besides Nibali. The most interesting thing will likely be if Mohoric will also be needed to help in the Giro also or if he can now get a very free role in the Tour instead.
I guess they'll also send Padun to the Giro, no idea about Mohoric, but the Mohoric-Nibali combination has the potential to be really awesome.

No real mountain top finish in Tirreno-Adriatico 2019. Some short steep climbs, more like classic parcours, big importance of the TTT. The profile courtesy @LasterketaBurua

ta-profile.jpg

TRENDING THREADS