• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 611 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah he seems resigned.

He didn't mention 2018 as a year of great form. He'll probably wait for the Civiglio and pray for the best.

Because it wasn't. 2018 was a small miracle, without Pinot's stratospheric form he probably even wins it. At that point he wasn't even sure he'll ever get back to where he was before the accident and subsequent surgery. It only happened during the Giro when he had the confirmation that he can still do it in a GT. This is what makes me sad, people thinking he is past it when in fact without the brokeback mountain and some poor racing calendar decisions we could have seen now a very different record. Accepting to ride the Tour after the Giro for whatever reasons effectively killed half of the season for a rider who's time as a pro is running out fast.

What we can hope now is that with Trek he'll make the right decisions, drink a few good coffees at the right time and generally enjoy his last years in the peloton.

Because it wasn't. 2018 was a small miracle, without Pinot's stratospheric form he probably even wins it. At that point he wasn't even sure he'll ever get back to where he was before the accident and subsequent surgery. It only happened during the Giro when he had the confirmation that he can still do it in a GT. This is what makes me sad, people thinking he is past it when in fact without the brokeback mountain and some poor racing calendar decisions we could have seen now a very different record. Accepting to ride the Tour after the Giro for whatever reasons effectively killed half of the season for a rider who's time as a pro is running out fast.

What we can hope now is that with Trek he'll make the right decisions, drink a few good coffees at the right time and generally enjoy his last years in the peloton.
I've been thinking about last Giro and wondering if it was actually that great for him. His best performance was Val Thorens ffs.

And with Rohan Dennis hissy fit I wonder if Nibali's TT will change much if he goes elsewhere, but I guess it will remain relatively stable.

I've been thinking about last Giro and wondering if it was actually that great for him. His best performance was Val Thorens ffs.

And with Rohan Dennis hissy fit I wonder if Nibali's TT will change much if he goes elsewhere, but I guess it will remain relatively stable.

Giro wasn't great because he didn't win it, it was "merely" good, he had the shape to win but lost it due to circumstances. Sure Val Thorens was great for several reasons but do you think it was worth it against a potentially good Vuelta with stage win included and another backyard monument to his name? Looking back, the last proper stage from the Tour was effectively his last chance to win something this year.

Giro wasn't great because he didn't win it, it was "merely" good, he had the shape to win but lost it due to circumstances. Sure Val Thorens was great for several reasons but do you think it was worth it against a potentially good Vuelta with stage win included and another backyard monument to his name? Looking back, the last proper stage from the Tour was effectively his last chance to win something this year.
I'm really only talking about the level of climbing and what he did in Val Thorens may simply be better than he could've done at the Vuelta cause an 80 minute climbs suits him that much more than all the 20 minute ascents of La Vuelta. I definitely think it was a stronger performance than any Giro mountain stage he did this year.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS