• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 649 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not really, because preparing the gravel section of the Finestre in few days is almost impossible.
And a plan C going up to Sestriere from Pinerolo (Val Chisone), then descending to Cesana and climbing again to Sestriere from the old road of Sauze di Cesana is not a "tappone" because both climbs are quite easy (especially Sestriere from the Chisone valley).
How certain is it that the Finestre option is out? I thought there were rumours about it a few days ago?

First possibility: Alba - Pinerolo - Sestriere (from Chisone valley, so the side you usually climb after descending the Finestre) - Cesana (descent on the road they should have used as last climb) - Sestriere (climbing from the old Sauze di Cesana road, which is harder than the normal climb from Cesana).

Second possibility: Alba - Susa - Moncenisio from Novalesa (the old road, clearly not up to the summit because you go back to Susa when you reach the new road of Moncenisio) - Cesana - Sestriere.

Another alternative (impossible because Sestriere should agree to postpone the original stage to 2021, letting at the same time the organization to move the finish to another place) would be the Montoso climb (I live there). I think that this would be hard enough :eek:

alba-rucas.jpg
Considering it's not happening it's pretty whatever but probably one or two laps is enough (so 2-3 climbs)

Nibali attacks in the first climb, others think he's crazy, race neutralized and times taken before the end. Nibali wins, and we get another WTF GT, he's the new Bernal, blah, blah, blah.

Cycling wasn't made to be easy. The epic is what made it the greatest sport. Take that away and we have a bunch of Ronaldos and Neymars: overpaid and drama queens. That's where we are at today with super teams and predictable results: manufacturing winners and eliminate heroics, return on investment.

Cut the next stage to give extra rest, but leave the real stage alone. Riders know their limitations: who are we to decide? Give Vincenzo Nibali or someone else the opportunity to be legendary. Write a chapter in cycling history.

Reactions: jsem94
Holy... Can't believe I only find out about this forum after all these years. I could have been here fanboying so hard for Nibs this entire time.

Well, better late than never. Now I'll just have to go and read all 649 columns to get the inside jokes.
Basically, Contador was the forums main man before he retired, but we were hysterical as *** if he got 2nd in a prep race. Nibali polar opposite. 20th in prep race? Giro in the bag. It's the Slongo way.

Before you make up your mind, that I have completely lost mine, let me firstly state:

That there is song in Slongo.

But Vincenzo Nibali doesn’t always need to hear him.

Because Vincenzo Nibali doesn’t require race radio. Because he already has all of the tactical nous.

Yes, I said nous. Not to be confused with mouse.

His head is already a radio.

And it is largely this nous that leaves most of his rivals’ paranoid. Uptight.

“This is what you’ll get, when you mess with us.” And most of them do indeed get it, when they mess with Vincenzo Nibali. Some may call it something else, but we know it simply as voodoo. “Voodoo economics. It’s just business.”

That cabinet doesn’t just fill itself.

It all became so outrageously entertaining that it got to a point where “we hope, that you choke.” But we probably didn’t need to hope at all. The bidon’s, the virus’, the flat’s, would still happen.

“For a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself,” Jakob Fuglsang decried. But he wasn’t the first, and he probably wouldn’t be the last.

When they crash they think, “Oh, it’s only bruises.”

“Bruises that won’t heal.”

But Vincenzo Nibali isn’t only lucky. He is also a superhero.

They say that he descends “at a thousand feet per second”.

“Hey man, slow down”, they cry.

But Vincenzo Nibali is no idiot.

While they shiver, feeling “such a chill”, The Shark only embraces the fear, silently chanting, “Rain down, come on rain down, on me. From a great height.”

You know what you are going to get with The Shark. We know his exceptionally high level, and it is up to his opposition to rise beyond that. There are “no alarms, and no surprises”.

When Nibali enters the mountains in week three, he whispers how he feels.

“I am born again.”

“Either way you turn. I’ll be there. Climbing up the walls.”

It’s in the bag. We know it. They know it. It’s in the bag. It’s the air that Vincenzo Nibali can breathe in over 2,000 metres that others can’t. Shark Of Messina, “Breathe. Keep breathing.”

Vincenzo Nibali is like OK Computer; he might not impress you too much on the first day that you encounter him, but after three weeks you will inevitably label him with five stars.

(Discarded B-Side; but still published, if for nothing more than to push Red Rick’s button :D)

Nibbles never lets us down. Well, actually that’s not quite true. We were let down once. We were “disappointed people”, when Nibali was “clinging on to bottles”.

But even if that was useless, it was undeniably hysterical.

Before you make up your mind, that I have completely lost mine, let me firstly state:

Because Vincenzo Nibali doesn’t require race radio. Because he already has all of the tactical nous.

“This is what you’ll get, when you mess with us.” And most of them do indeed get it, when they mess with Vincenzo Nibali. Some may call it something else, but we know it simply as voodoo. “Voodoo economics. It’s just business.”

It all became so outrageously entertaining that it got to a point where “we hope, that you choke.” But we probably didn’t need to hope at all. The bidon’s, the virus’, the flat’s, would still happen.

“For a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself,” Jakob Fuglsang decried. But he wasn’t the first, and he probably wouldn’t be the last.

While they shiver, feeling “such a chill”, The Shark only embraces the fear, silently chanting, “Rain down, come on rain down, on me. From a great height.”

You know what you are going to get with The Shark. We know his exceptionally high level, and it is up to his opposition to rise beyond that. There are “no alarms, and no surprises”.

“I am born again.”

It’s in the bag. We know it. They know it. It’s in the bag. It’s the air that Vincenzo Nibali can breathe in over 2,000 metres that others can’t. Shark Of Messina, “Breathe. Keep breathing.”

Vincenzo Nibali is like OK Computer; he might not impress you too much on the first day that you encounter him, but after three weeks you will inevitably label him with five stars.

(Discarded B-Side; but still published, if for nothing more than to push Red Rick’s button :D)

Nibbles never lets us down. Well, actually that’s not quite true. We were let down once. We were “disappointed people”, when Nibali was “clinging on to bottles”.

I don't think anyone could describe his character any better. The beauty of this post brought a tear to my eye. But it's fine, every bit of salty water will help the Shark.

• Love
Reactions: gregrowlerson

“I am born again.”

That was a funny read. Didn't think much in the beginning. Stumbled across the words paranoid and uptight thinking "hey it's like in them radiohead songs", read further and realized that might not have been a coincidence.

Nibali the radiohead of cycling? I like that idea.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS