• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 663 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
PSM much stronger case for big names actually being very weak that day
Yes, but PSM had some special circumstances. Nibali had crashed on the Mur de Bretagne stage, the stage was pretty much plain flat before the final climb and right after a rest day. The first week also had cobbles, crosswinds, hectic uphill sprints and a TTT at the end, so the fact that the pure climbers underperformed a bit makes sense.

Yes, but PSM had some special circumstances. Nibali had crashed on the Mur de Bretagne stage, the stage was pretty much plain flat before the final climb and right after a rest day. The first week also had cobbles, crosswinds, hectic uphill sprints and a TTT at the end, so the fact that the pure climbers underperformed a bit makes sense.
Pretty much. I think only Gesink was probably on a par performance and he was 4th like 1'30 down. Quintana clearly suffered from all the circumstances you mentioned and lost just a minute I think. Contador doesn't really matter to judge PSM, he was a horror show all Tour. I think he was a lot worse than 2013 even.

200.gif

Pretty much. I think only Gesink was probably on a par performance and he was 4th like 1'30 down. Quintana clearly suffered from all the circumstances you mentioned and lost just a minute I think. Contador doesn't really matter to judge PSM, he was a horror show all Tour. I think he was a lot worse than 2013 even.

Pincavallo has nothing in common with PSM 2015 performance. Yesterday he was good (it bodes well with the next stages) but not quite the way he tries to picture it saying he was betteer than in 2017, nevertheless in line with what was considered competitive at the high end of a GC battle.

That is until the "effects of coronavirus on professional races" kicked it. The speed of some riders and teams is simply next level.

Reactions: Carols and Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS